Trump's Supreme Court nominee?

Going on the assumption that he will(as stated by him) nominate a woman in the next week, who do you think will be the nominee?
My guess would be Sarah Palin, because her name comes up often enough for him to remember it and because it will piss off Democrats and please the Trumpettes. Your guess?

Well, this is 2020 so I guess it’s a tossup between Ted “Zodiac Killer” Cruz and Tom “Send The Troops To Portland” Cotton. Or maybe Cthulhu, it’s anyone’s guess at this point.

Did you happen to read the OP?

Probably Amy Coney Barrett or Barbara Lagoa. I think Lagoa would be worse since she seems to be openly (and corruptly) angling for the job by ruling over a case that will likely benefit a Trump acolyte (Jason Miller).

The frontrunner is Barrett. Her main weakness would be her prior involvement in an organization where some members were called “handmaids” (seriously.)

Other than that she would be the most suitable nominee. Catholic, mother of 7 (including two black orphans from Haiti).

Barrett seems to be the favorite. No way it will be Palin. Trump might like the idea but she’s such an obvious dumbass that his advisors will undoubtedly convince him that Caribou Barbie could never be confirmed. It would be easier to confirm an actual caribou.

I’m still holding on to the hope that no one will be confirmed until after the January inauguration so I’m trying not to think about it. The blatant hypocrisy after the Merrick Garland debacle of voting to confirm a new justice in the last few months of an election year might be too much political cost even for Republicans, though I keep underestimating the depth of their corruption and that of their totally unprincipled supporters.

It’s going to be Judge Jeanine Pirro. Or Ivanka.

Or it might be the one judge that Trump knows the most about and admires the most, Judge Judy. Either her or Paris Hilton. The Orange Peril has a lot of options that meet his standards.

I agree it seems like it’s down to Barrett and Lagoria. Barrett seems like the more “play to the base” pick — solid legal conservative pedigree, strongly embraced by social conservatives.

Lagoria would be Trump’s “I really need Florida” pick — first Cuban-American in the court, not enough of a record yet to necessarily turn off independents.

I suppose there could be a Hail Mary outside of these two, but I can’t really see it.

Nah, TL;DR, reading OPs is so '16. :wink:

Not Cthulhu. The stars won’t be right until 2022.

I’m thinking Cthulhu doesn’t pay that much attention to the stars, coming from beyond them as it does. Also unsure of Elder Gods’ genders. Could qualify.

Cthulhu, I’ll give you.

A lot of conservatives, apparently, are deeply afraid Lagoa will be a Souter.

The chatter tonight is that Lagoa’s stock is on the rise. She’s actually got slightly better conservative bona fides than I first realized – she’s connected with the federalist society, and in her time as a state judge in Florida she’s repeatedly sided with business interests. She’s been described as Ron DeSantis’ protégé, which is maybe the most demeaning sobriquet I can imagine.

Still, she’s been on the federal bench for less than a year, and as a state judge she never had to rule on many of the issues – abortion, gun rights, civil rights – that will come before the Supreme Court. There’s no reason to think she isn’t lockstep with fellow conservatives on these issues, but she’s unproven. Do not underestimate how much David Souter preys upon the conservative mind. I could see a Tom Cotton or Josh Hawley taking some convincing to get on board.

Finally, I’ll note the irony that she cut her teeth doing pro bono legal work for the Miami relatives of Elian Gonzalez. So she made her name fighting to keep an immigrant in this country that the feds wanted to remove.

I’m sorry, but what? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

*" In September 2017, The New York Times reported that Barrett was a member of a small, tightly knit Christian group called People of Praise. Its members swear a lifelong “covenant” (loyalty oath) to each other and are assigned a personal advisor, a “head” for men or “leader” for women, who gives direction on important personal decisions. In the past, female personal advisors were called “handmaidens.”

I’ll place my bets on senator Josh Hawley (senator from Missouri). Young (40) and very conservative.

He can fuck-up the country for the next 40-years easy.

And also very male.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders. Not sure if Trump has to nominate a human or not.