Trying to make ceviche for the first time

I’m trying to make ceviche for the first time. I’ve diced the fish, and it’s been marinating in the fridge with what looks like too much lime juice. Before I put it in there, I put in garlic powder and kosher salt. Once mixed, I sampled the juice. It’s a bit bitter. (Well, limes…) I’ve chopped up some red onion, and I have a bunch of cilantro. I’ll mix those in in about 20 minutes or so, then let it sit for another hour. I wanted to put some avocado in it, but the avocados are still a bit too firm.

It turned out well for my first attempt. A little on the tart side, but good. And one of the avocados was ripe. :slight_smile:

Half a teaspoon of sugar goes a long way with some acidic foods.

Yes. Don’t be afraid to add a touch of sugar. When I make pickled cucumbers, a little sugar makes all the difference in the world. Really rounds out the flavor.

Try this:

Ceviche is “on our rotation”. We have it 2-3 times a month. Tilapia, snapper, tuna, and scallops are some of the finish we like. Jalapeños always, minced habaneros occasionally. Oh, and mangoes when they are perfectly ripe.

15-20 minutes is long enough to cure ceviche. Sitting in the acid for longer times toughens meat.

Agree.