Twenty-nine days hath September (or at least that's how long we get to mini-rant this month.)

But in three hours you can be in a thriving Asian community… courtesy of the Lake Express - Lake Michigan’s Fast Ferry.

https://www.reddit.com/r/milwaukee/comments/5qksz1/best_pho_in_the_milwaukee_area/

In three hours, I could be in Chicago, where I’m sure I can get whatever yummies I want.

In fact … hm, when’s my next day off?

Monday?

Posted this in the August rant, since I hadn’t realized there was a September one:

I’ve complained before about not getting my stimulus payment and not being able to find out why. So a couple of weeks ago I contacted both of my Senators and my Representative to see if any of them could help me.

Well, today I got a call from the IRS in response to one of the inquiries. It turned out that when I had filed my 2018 tax return I had mistakenly checked the box indicating that I could be claimed as a dependent instead of the box indicating that I was over 65. I filed an amended return correcting the error, but apparently when the IRS was reviewing my tax returns to determine if I was eligible for the stimulus payment they only looked at the original returns, and disregarded the amended return.

The upshot is, I have to wait until I file my 2020 return which will have a section where I can report that I did not receive the stimulus payment I was due. This will give me a $1200 tax credit to apply along with any taxes deducted from my pension. Which means I’ll get a refund, since I’ve never owed more than $100 in recent years.

I’d like to register a general complaint about the different interfaces for the different streaming services.
I navigate via Xbox, and the buttons for pause or go back or whatever, for Netflix vs. HBO vs. YouTube vs. Hulu, are beyond inconsistent. Once I’ve watched Netflix for a day or two, navigating HBO is enough to make me wanna throw my controller thru a window.

They sell media remotes for the Xbox, with all the “normal” buttons like Play/Pause, Stop, etc:
Best Media Remotes for Xbox One in 2020
I’ve got one of the PDP Talons - as a bonus, it’ll turn on my TV and my speakers with the one button (the home button). Takes a little setting up in the settings, but it’s a lot easier to use than the Xbox controller.

Wow. Once again, a Doper comes thru, with the solution to a complaint.

I love this place.

(Adds fancy remote to Wish List.)

I have nothing to rant about. At the risk of jinxing myself, we’ve weathered the crisis with aplomb. The wife and I are both considered essential workers, so no unemployment worries. Our investments have all rebounded from earlier this year, and we’re showing a profit again. Winter is coming,but in Hawaii that means plunging into the 60s. And we’re a solidly blue state.

Life is good.

Go to a political thread.

But his BACK isn’t, amirite?

Geddit? Geddit? It’s funny because he was shot in the BACK! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

By the way, fuck you.

Nice…yeah, believe all women asshat.

Some utter jackass half a damn block away has had his boom car pounding away for over half an hour now, loudly enough to upset my pets and make sleep impossible (no, earplugs do not work on low bass, nor can I afford the risk of not hearing my alarm). I’m working on a headache, too. Must be lovely to have all that time to make life miserable for those of us who have JOBS and need SLEEP.

The point in this case, you malicious, mendacious, malevolent little asshat, is not whether or not the woman was believed. The point is that at the time he was shot Jacob Blake presented NO CLEAR, IMMINENT DANGER to the her, the public, or the police who shot him. He wasn’t coming towards them, he wasn’t armed, he wasn’t even FACING them. They had no, none, zippo, LEGAL justification for shooting him. Furthermore, the police put his children in mortal danger while doing so, which is inexcusable.

Yesterday I read a story about a man who was arrested without injury after having killed his wife (which the police knew he had) and shooting at the police who came to arrest him. Later they found he had also shot two of his neighbors, one of whom was a 12-year-old girl. Emphasizing, he actually did present a clear, imminent danger to the police because he was SHOOTING AT THEM. And he was captured unharmed.

Know what the difference between the two men was?

If you guessed the second dude was white while Blake is black, you got it.

The police need to be trained until it is a bone-deep reaction to not take the lethal option as the first choice when facing any potential criminal, not just when facing the white ones.

Right right… Make it into a race thing. More black men are shot and killed by other black men. More white unarmed men are killed by police than black. The mother of Blake’s kids was the person who called 911. There was an active warrant out for his arrest. He had other incidents of altercations with police. Like I said , I don’t believe he should have been shot 7 times,Not at all. That being sad he should also not be made a martyr and forget why he made bad decisionS. He put his kids in danger. He was stealing the mother’s car. He wasn’t following the polices orders. What do you think they should have let him drive away? Then what would you have said then, if something happened to the kids? You’d be all over the police, “see they don’t care about black babies. The knew he had a history.“. my point in this whole rant is that it is fluid. The woman should be heard. fini

Why don’t you take it to another thread, asshat? This isn’t exactly a mini-rant.

My post was hidden. I’m out.

Had a great day at state park, took an shady path through wooded dune ridges that led to secluded area of Lake Michigan shoreline. Shared it mostly with gulls.

But the walk back up the low dune about sunk my butt, kid you not my kid had to take my arm and drag me through the soft sinking sands. Shit that was an unwanted work out.

Promises, promises.

I always say my dog Mauser puts out more than he takes in. He creates matter, and should be studied as a scientific curiosity.

See above