Ukelele Ike & Flora McFlimsey

Well, thank you, Omni.

I wrote a poem for my darling wife. It’s called, “I love You So Much I Could Just Shit.”

Call me an incurable romantic…

If you’re hot, that’s good.
If you’re cool, that’s good.

I don’t get it.

Lorgnette. Of course! Glasses on a stick!

Up to the top you go.

I dub this the Algonquin Round Table thread.

We have Benchley and Dot. We need a Levant and a Kaufmann. Maybe one of the Marx boys.

Volunteers?

Trust me.

I’ll be Beevis.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Wally, that’s a lovely thought, dear–but we mustn’t forget Ike is a married man (so was Mr. Benchley, by the way). If he’s going to put ANYTHING on this girl’s finger, it’s going to be his eyeball.

By the way, we did chat about all of you during our little date–did your ears burn? Your mouses turn red?

Did Ike’s wife know about this date? Did she care?

That I had a drink with the Honorable Rudolph Giuliani, esteemed Mayor of New York City? Hell no, she was impressed. [dodges heavy desk ornament hurled by Miss McFlimsey]

Nah. Check our profiles. Writer, editor, editor/writer. The Missus is one, too. A fairly large percentage of this professional life is cross-gender schmoozing in bars.

Of course, if I started hanging around with saxophone-playing dames who lived just down the street, there’d be hell to pay.

Uke

Well, the next time you and Flora meet, I think Alphagene, Manhattan and I (and any other New Yorkers) should be there as well (mostly so we can talk about all the other posters, too).

Hmmmmmm…not too shabby an idea, Mel.

If the Ohioans can do it (“Here on the East Coast, dear, we pronounce it ‘Iowans’”) there’s no reason we callow urban sophisticates shouldn’t get together over cocktails and cheese blintzes and carve up our hayseed brothers and sisters…

“Did you see what that slack-jawed yokel had to say about the the B-sides of 45s, asexual turkey reproduction, and the existence of a Personal God? Darling, it was simply too-TOO!”

Maybe you should start a thread, dangle the worm?

I agree, but we’d have to go down-market a tad. You and Flora get thrown out of the kinds of places that I can’t even get into.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

Too bad the last Horn & Hardart closed down. We could have done the tomato soup thing with the free ketchup and hot water.

There’s always the Hudson docks. We can pass a bottle of Night Train back and forth and mutter darkly at each other.

Hayseeds? I’ll have ya’ll know we all’d druther be called shitkickers. Ever’un knows folk from states dat begins with a vow’l is shitkickers. Take that you city slickers.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

If we went to Rudy’s on Ninth Ave in Hell’s Kitchen we could get free hot dogs!!!

I would prefer the Russian Vodka Room (their motto is “Attitude Adjustment Hour” and they have a nice pianist). Also, for happy hour (M-F until 7 pm), a carafe of homemade vodka is half price!! Also, I think they’d let Manhattan in and I personally GUARANTEE that Uke and Flora wouldn’t get kicked out (unless you defaced the Lenin painting).

Uke, I’ll start another thread.

Note to Miss McFlimsey:

Yes, of course I was aware that Ike is maritally challenged.

I meant for the rainbow to serve as a token of admiration and affection, not that encirclement we call the wedding ring. Simply too common for a lady of your bearing.

I have lots of willpower.

I’m just too strong to be a slave to it.