Ukelele Ike

I have questions, you have answers.

I would have sent you a private email, but you’re “unlisted”.

If you don’t mind, will you please send me your email address so I don’t clog up the board with questions that really (as far as I know) only pertain to you? Thank you so kindly!

-Chris

“…all the prettiest girls live in Des Moines…”
–Jack Kerouac, On the Road
Chris’ Homepage: Domestic Bliss

Well, now I want to know. . .

“Dear Ike,
Our local theater group is planning a road show version of Beatlemania in Honolulu this winter and I’m hoping to land a lead role. But everytime I get halfway through ‘While My Ukelele Gently Weeps’ my fingers cramp up on the C chords. Please advise soonest. Thanks.”

Now, everyone calm down. Chris just wants the recipe for Kulebiaka (Russian salmon, rice, and mushroom pie).

I offered it a couple months ago in the “Baking a Pie” thread someone started, and got NO takers.

So the hell with y’all. Chris and I are gonna eat all the Kulebiaka OURSELVES.

Uke

Hey, I’ve made that recipe before! But my cookbook spelled it “coubliac.” (I think) I’ll have to go check the spelling again.

La franchise ne consiste pas à dire tout ce que l’on pense, mais à penser tout ce que l’on dit.
H. de Livry

AW,

That’s the French adaptaion of the Russian original. The French usually make it with brioche dough, the Russians with a regular pie dough.

Uke

Actually, Ike, that sounds great. Please post the recipe so I can try it (with vidalia onion pie on the side).

Okay, ChrisCTP…howz come you are not sharing said recipe of much potential yummy-ness with your best friend!!!
I wike it salmon…
…“Darling, you didn’t used CANNED salmon…”
BTW…BOO!

OMFG!!

My Kitty!!! YAY!

“…all the prettiest girls live in Des Moines…”
–Jack Kerouac, On the Road
Chris’ Homepage: Domestic Bliss

Kulebiaka? So THAT’S what the kids are calling it these days…

Yer pal,
Satan

And then we’re off to the submarine races.

– Uke, face smeared with kulebiaka

PS: You guys REALLY want this recipe? I mean really, REALLY want this recipe? 'Cause there’s about twenty-five ingredients to list and close to twenty steps, so we’re talking a good fifteen minutes of typing-it-out time, plus proofreading afterward.

quit yer bitchin’ and post it already Ike…

Geez Louise, Men!

trisha

“The kulebiaka must make your mouth water, it must lie before you, naked, shameless, a temptation. You wink at it, you cut off a slice, and you let your fingers play over it. You eat it, the butter drips from it like tears, and the filling is fat, juicy, rich with eggs, giblets, onions…”

– Anton Chekov, “The Siren”

FOR THE PASTRY:
1/4 oz. package (2 1/2 tsp) active dry yeast
1 1/2 tblsp sugar
1/2 cup milk, lukewarm
5 tblsp unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk, beaten
1/3 cup sour cream
3 cups all-purpose flour, more as needed
3/4 tsp salt

FOR THE FILLING:
7 tblsp canola, or some other light oil
3 cups finely chopped onion
1 pound cremini mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
1 pound skinless salmon, sturgeon or whitefish filet, cut into 1-inch cubes
juice of one lemon
2 cups cooked long-grain rice
6 tblsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup minced fresh dill
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
an egg wash, made by beating together one large egg yolk and 1 tsp milk

1. Make the dough: In a large bowl, proof the yeast with the sugar in half the milk for 5 minutes. Add the melted butter and the other 1/4 cup of milk. Add the melted butter, the egg and egg yolk, and the sour cream. Whisk until smooth.

2. Add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until dough is formed. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead, adding more flour if necessary, until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky, about seven minutes.

3. Form the dough into a ball, transfer to a buttered bowl, and turn to coat with the butter. Let the dough rise, loosely covered, in a warm place for one hour, or until doubled in bulk. Punch it down.

4. While the dough is rising, prepare the filling: In a large skillet heat 3 tblsp of the oil over medium heat and cook the onion, stirring, until light golden, about ten minutes. Transfer the onions to a bowl.

5. Wipe the skillet, heat 2 tblsp of the remaining oil over high heat and suate the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until golden, about seven minutes. Add half the reserved onions and the sour cream to the skillet, and cook for another minute. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper.

6. In another large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tblsp of oil over medium heat. Add the fish and cook, stirring, until the fish flakes easily, about seven minutes. Transfer the fish to a bowl, flake it with a fork, and stir in the remaining onion, and the lemon juice.

7. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the rice with the melted butter, the dill, and salt & pepper to taste.

(The mixtures can be prepared in advance and kept in bowls, covered and chilled.)

TO ASSEMBLE THE KULEBIAKA:

1. Divide the dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other, form the pieces into log shapes, and reserve the larger piece, covered with plastic wrap.

2. On a floured surface roll the smaller piece of the dough into an 18-by-8 inch rectangle, drape it over a rolling pin, and transfer to a baking sheet. Spread half the rice mixture on the dough, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border on all sides, top it with half of the chopped eggs, then with half of the mushroom mixture, and then will all of the fish mixture. Top the fish with the remaining mushrooms, the remaining egg, and the remaining rice. Pat the filling into a compact shape.

3. On a floured surface roll out the reserved dough into a 20-by-10 inch rectangle, drape it over the filling and press the edges together to seal them. Trim the edges with a sharp knife, leaving a one-inch border…roll up the border and crimp the edges.

4. Preheat the over to 350.

5. Roll out the remaining scraps of dough and cut out decorative shapes (All right, all right, I’m just transcrbing here, stop calling me a pussy). Brush the kulebiaka with the egg wash and arrange the decorations on the pie, brushing them with the egg wash. Prick six small holes in the top crust to allow the steam to escape.

6. Bake the kulebiaka in the middle of the oven until deep golden, 30 to 35 minutes. If the top is browning too fast, cover it lightly with foil.

7. Transfer the baking sheet to a rack, drape the kulebiaka loosely with a kitchen towel, and let it stand for 10 minutes. To serve, cut the pie into 1 1/2 inch slices.

Serves, oh, eight, I guess.

Uke

OK, here’s the recipe I had.

Coulibiac
This rich Russian fish dish is usually wrapped in brioche but it’s just as good - and good-looking - made this superquick way with packaged, refrigerated dough. Much lower calorie, too.
Makes 12-14 savings.

2 (8-ounce) packages refrigerated dough for crescent rolls
2 cups cooked seasoned kasha or rice
2 cups skinned, boned, flaked cooked salmon
3 hard-cooked eggs, shelled and sliced thin

Sauce:

4 scallions, minced
1/2 pound mushrooms, wiped clean and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup Easy Fish Stock or water
2 tablespoons tomato purée
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chervil
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 tablespoon minced parsley

Glaze:

1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 375 F. Make sauce first: stir-fry scallions and mushrooms on butter in a large saucepan over moderate heat 3-5 minutes until limp; blend in flour, slowly add stock, and heat, stirring, until thickened. Off heat, mix in remaining ingredients; cool 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, open 1 package of dough, spread flat, halve crosswise but do not separate into individual rolls. Fit halves together on an ungreased baking sheet so you have a rectangle about 9” x 14”; pinch edges together to seal, also press all perforations closed so you have an unbroken sheet of dough. Spread 1.5 cups kasha over dough, leaving 1/2” margins all around, cover with fish, spread with sauce, then top with eggs and remaining kasha. Shape second roll of dough into an unbroken sheet just like the first and lay on top of filling, letting edges hang over. Brush edges of bottom dough lightly with egg glaze, bring up over top edges and pinch together to seal. Make 6 steam slits in top of coulibiac. Brush glaze over dough and bake, uncovered, on center rack 1/2 hour. Carefully ease onto a hot serving platter. To serve, cut straight across in thick slices. About 290 calories for each of 12 servings, 245 calories for each of 14 servings.

La franchise ne consiste pas à dire tout ce que l’on pense, mais à penser tout ce que l’on dit.
H. de Livry