"Uniform" for teenage & college age girls of Ugg boots & North Face jacket - Why so conformist?

In the meantime, what’s up with teen boys and the jeans-and-a-tee-shirt look?

In Canada, Canada Goose is the uniform jacket, not North Face.

I find it’s more 50/50 between Canada Goose and North Face here in Calgary.

I have a long light down North Face jacket for work. I love it. I can wear it to -15C, and if it’s colder, I put a Lululemon sweater on underneath and I can go to -30C. I don’t have Uggs, but I do have really nice mukluks for the winter. I can go barefoot in them in deep snow and cold weather and my feet almost sweat!

I also have a North Face ski jacket, which isn’t down, but is very functional for skiing.

I have found that MEC clothes are pretty comprable to NF, but cheaper. A lot of people here wear MEC brand too.

I’m sure there’s a male equivalent, but I don’t really think jeans and tee shirts are it. Uggs and NF jackets are specific brands that cost upwards of 150$ a piece. Jeans and tee-shirts are just generic types of clothing, and while I’m sure fashion is part of their popularity they’re also popular because you can buy them by the barrel at Costco.

What about all those guys who wear those jeans with the huge embelleshed back pockets? I see those everywhere in a certain age group.

Where is “here?” I was quite comfortable in the shell portion of my jacket this weekend in the 30 degree weather.

Like olivesmarch4th, I remember this from ten years ago. Also, when it came to the jackets, everyone on campus was wearing North Face or Columbia, not just the girls.

Everybody else (Polo, Lacoste, etc.) content themselves with their logo/symbol on the front.
To my knowledge, only TNF puts theirs on front and back.
Simply brilliant!

That has nothing to do with North Face. Fleece isn’t intended to block wind.

Thanks for that. Bookmarked!

Not sure why they wear them but, dude, North Face makes some great jackets for the outdoors.

User error. It’s a mid layer. You’re supposed to wear a shell over it.

I have a NF down jacket that I bought when I was in college, around 1998. Damn thing is indestructible. I’ve gone through other quite a few other winter coats and ski jackets, but this one is still kicking and still just as warm as when I bought it.

Half the people in Calgary are stuck wearing the OLD uniform? Ewww, gross!!

:wink:

I know quite a few women who were decidedly anti-Ugg until they tried them on. It is just possible that these young women have found a comfortable and convenient solution to keeping their feet and bodies warm.

There is even the eensiest possibility that they don’t give a flying farina what you think about it.

I’m a teenaged girl. I wear Ugg boots and trendy jackets often, but I also wear things that aren’t trendy, although a lot of the kids in my school only wear things that are. Personally, I find that I do feel more comfortable when I fit in, so that’s why on a day when I’m tired or something, I wear brand names and Uggs, and on other days I wear more stand-out clothing. Really it’s just personal choice and trends.
Also, Ugg boots make your feet look so big that the rest of your body looks small by comparison. Or at least that seems to be what most of the shoes these days are going for (Ugg boots, huge skate shoes, etc.)

I would find it odd if I saw young women going around in the winter in short skirts and ballet shoes and a see-through sweater.

But in a warm puffy jacket and big fuzzy boots? I wouldn’t even call that “following a trend” I’d call it “being warm.”

Yea, but again, I only noticed this trend because I’m in FL, and woman wearing winter boots looks so incongruous here. So at least amongst the locals, I feel pretty confident the boots aren’t being worn to keep their feet warm.

No doubt we all bend to fashion to some extent. After all, I didn’t go to work today wearing a tri-corner hat, a pancho, a loincloth and Roman Legion style sandals. I dressed more or less like everyone else. But occasionally a trend comes along where the fashion is so a-functional and specific (in this case, a specific (fairly expensive) brand designed for a different climate) that it stands out as really going the extra mile to fit in.

Have you not ever met a pretty young girl? Or, you know, a girl? Or, really, a…person?

Srsly. Everyone knows if it’s not Patagucci, you’re yesterday’s trash.

I would buy this explanation if the most common outfit with them wasn’t Ugg boots, short fluffy snow jacket, and a mini-skirt. With no leggings or tights.