US Midterm Election watch along thread

Link not working for me.

“Liz Harris, who was recently elected to represent District 13 in the East Valley, says that she will not vote in the state legislature unless the election is redone.”

Which election does she want redone? 2020 Presidential election? Her own? On what grounds is she complaining?

Not that I object to her withholding her vote.

The 2022 election (I can get the article link to work). Quoting from the article:

Here she is:

Gotta love The Onion.

Right?
This is from The Onion, no?

No?
No??

Shows the level of maturity of our representatives… “I’m going to hold my breath until I turn, um, Blue?”

That is good news, thanks. All we need is a half dozen of so sane Republicans in the House.

Presumably, Liz Harris will be refusing to draw a paycheck, as well, right? Right?

If she were in the Oregon legislature, she could be in a lot of trouble. We just passed a referendum that penalizes legislators who have unexcused absences. $500 fine per day, loss of pay for that day. With 10 or more, they can be disqualified from running for re-election.

The measure was in response to Republicans who do not show up (usually leave the state) to deny a quorum and thus prevent passage of laws that they disagree with.

nice. That’s awesome

You make that sound like it’s a bad thing. May their next choice be better.

Never mind. Wrong thread.

Hamadeh is suing to be declared the winner of the race for Arizona Attorney General:

Washington Post (gift link)

The suit asks the court to issue an injunction preventing the secretary of state from certifying Mayes as the winner and requiring her to declare Hamadeh the winner. It also asks that the court order the various county officials to correct procedural and tabulation errors it claims they made and amend the final vote count, which it argues will make the Republican the winner.

Dan Barr, an attorney for Mayes, said the Democrat will ask the court to dismiss the complaint, which he called “devoid of actual facts.”

Here’s hoping for a quick dismissal.

And she wins!

Woot! So happy about this!

Murkowski won too. Neither was a big surprise. It’d been a surprise if either had lost.

Republicans have already taken the message that the RCV is bad for them. They’re right, but probably not for the reason (whatever they come up with, if any) they think. It’s because RCV disfavors extremist candidates and Trumpists are pretty much all extremists.

The way Alaska does RCV, there’s also a need to campaign differently in the primary. Because four candidates advance from the primary, you don’t want to alienate voters who are likely to give a 2nd choice vote. So attacking another candidate from your own party in the primary is not a good idea. That other candidate could also be in the general election and you want their voters’ second choices. I do not live in Alaska, but from what I gather, Palin didn’t understand this.

Similarly, Murkowski won for Senator over Palin.

I did some game theory calculations about how the additional senator affects M and S’s voting power

The Board of Supervisors in Cochise County, Arizona have voted to refuse to certify their vote in the recent election. A Pennsylvania county did as well.

It doesn’t say that in the NPR article, but I read elsewhere that without Cochise County votes (heavily R), at least two election results will be flipped from R to D, including one for the US House of Representatives.

My reaction: OK, let them not be counted. If they don’t want to join the election, we’ll just let them sit there and pout.

My sentiments exactly. And after they disenfranchise thousands of mostly Republican voters, let them explain their reasoning for flauting the law to a judge and to all of those voters.

“Look what you made me do!!!”