User Name "Oh!" moments

[QUOTE=Merhouse]
I did too :smack:

And while I’m at it, it was only a couple of weeks ago I found out that Inigo Montoya isn’t a completely random but cool user name. Well, it IS still cool, it’s just not completely random :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]

But he is.

[QUOTE=TroubleAgain]
Not a poster, but their pet. A conure named “Onan” who used to belong to Paul in Saudi.

“Why did he call his bird that? I mean, Onan isn’t exactly a famous biblical character. He’s known for defying God and spilling his seed on the ground…OHHHH!” :smack:
[/QUOTE]

:smack: :smack: :smack: - now it makes sense to me too!

I watched “Clerks” a couple of weeks ago and realized where Happy Scrappy Hero Pup’s name comes from.

[QUOTE=Mama Zappa]
:smack: :smack: :smack: - now it makes sense to me too!
[/QUOTE]

Glad I wasn’t alone in the :smack:-iness.

When I encounter these names outside of the Dope, I get all discombobulated. “Dexter Haven . . . Dexter Haven . . . I know that name–but why? I’ve never seen this movie before. I must have seen the actor in another movie . . . no wait, it’s not an actor, it’s a character . . . WTF? . . . oh duh, it’s a Doper.” :smack:

I dream of people stumbling across Freddy the Pig in a second-hand children’s bookstore, but it probably never happens.

[QUOTE=Freddy the Pig]

I dream of people stumbling across Freddy the Pig in a second-hand children’s bookstore, but it probably never happens.
[/QUOTE]

OT: Because I once played Freddy the Pig in a summer school play adapted from Freddy the Detective back in the 50s, I had a bit of nostalgia when I saw that my grandkids had a set of Freddy books when I visited them this last spring.

[QUOTE=UncaStuart]
Because I once played Freddy the Pig in a summer school play adapted from Freddy the Detective back in the 50s . . .
[/QUOTE]
Oh my God. You’re my idol.

[QUOTE=Helena]
I read the Lensmen series a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised to run across Qadgop the Mercotan.
[/QUOTE]
Ah HA!.

Ever since my fiancee first pointed me at the dope (just over four years ago) I’ve been trying to remember (without googling) which SF series I read in my youth this name came from.

Thanks, Helena.

For my own minor revelation moment, the poster ShadowFacts may well have named himself after a horse. A fictional one.

[QUOTE=Marley23]
That’d be The Philadelphia Story. Come to think of it, Dex and I probably share an appreciation for Cary Grant.
[/QUOTE]

Marley23, it could have been that lesser Sinatra, Grace Kelly and Bing Crosby Vehicle, “High Society”. The two movies also gave us the source of the name of poster Tracy Lord, not the teen porn star.

[QUOTE=Jamaika a jamaikaiaké]
Also, RTFirely is Rufus T. Firefly, Goucho Marx’s character in Duck Soup. I love that movie. And it took me over a year to get it.
[/QUOTE]

I never made that connection, thank you for that.

[QUOTE=What Exit?]
Marley23, it could have been that lesser Sinatra, Grace Kelly and Bing Crosby Vehicle, “High Society”. The two movies also gave us the source of the name of poster Tracy Lord, not the teen porn star.
[/QUOTE]

According to Wikipedia, High Society is based on The Philadelphia Story, so that would be the same source material. That’s not the kind of name two writers come up with by coincidence. :wink:

[QUOTE=What Exit?]
Marley23, it could have been that lesser Sinatra, Grace Kelly and Bing Crosby Vehicle, “High Society”. The two movies also gave us the source of the name of poster Tracy Lord, not the teen porn star.
[/QUOTE]

point to Post #27

gently coughs

[QUOTE=MHaye]

For my own minor revelation moment, the poster ShadowFacts may well have named himself after a horse. A fictional one.
[/QUOTE]

stamps hoof once for “yes”

[QUOTE=jayjay]
point to Post #27

gently coughs
[/QUOTE]

I saw the post. I just didn’t look up the movie and make the connection.

[QUOTE=ShadowFacts]
stamps hoof once for “yes”
[/QUOTE]

this had me giggling.

I always wondered about Qadgop. What an interesting thread this is.

[QUOTE=Freddy the Pig]
Oh my God. You’re my idol.
[/QUOTE]

:smiley:
I still have the deerstalker cap my grandmother fabricated out of two baseball caps and an old Pendleton shirt.

[QUOTE=jayjay]
point to Post #27

gently coughs
[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that but I saw it after I started my post and I was also adding more details and the factoid that we have a poster named for Tracy Lord.

Not a big deal, guys. I just wanted to note that I did mention it. :smiley:

[Quote=Cisco]
Watched This Island Earth a few years ago and one of the characters was Cal Meacham.
[/quote]

[QUOTE=Sublight]
Although I recall Cal saying at one point that it was just a coincidence.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe you’re thinking of the fact that the screen name of CalMeacham’s wife is Pepper Mill, which I assumed was just a reference to something like this but actually comes from the fact that the name is derived from the “your soap opera character” or “your porn star alias” game of taking the name of your first pet (Pepper, in her case) and the street (Mill) on which you (she) grew up.

I was reading a thread here on the Dope a few months back and someone commented that when Harpo Marx toured Russia, his name in the cryllic alphabet looked something like Xapno Mpkcs. In his autobiography there is a chapter called Exapno Mapcase, Secret Agent.

[QUOTE=nd_n8]
Now I understand, it’s French… Mange Tout
[/QUOTE]
I don’t speak French, but I still read it this way when I first saw it. Babelfish tells me it means “eat all,” but I will defy the mission of this messageboard and stick with my mental image of someone extolling the benefits of mange.