Using the put-down "firstname-y Mc-lastname"

Oh, that’s even older than I thought.

Smokey McPot is a fake name given in “Dude, Where’s My Car?” Grr. Now I’m made at the friends who dragged me to it all over again.

I call one of the guys I work with (behind his back, of course) Whinegard McSlackerpants.

Not the first time, but Ross calls his student girlfriend “Cutie McPretty”.

The Simpsons example I remember is Homer trying to pass himself off as the character portrayed in the movie Shine, “Shiney McShine.” I still like Joey Jo-Jo Shabbadoo better.

On Friends, naturally. :smack:

I do this all the time, now, and it’s all thanks to the SDMB member who I think has the funniest name ever, Wristy McSlashalot.

Where Wristy got the idea, I can’t say.

Is it too much of a stretch to suggest Horace Silver’s jazz tune “Filthy McNasty” - or more likely, the Steve Miller Band cover version - as the inspiration for the phrase?

I’ve no idea who started the concept, but I likes it. Quite a bit.

It’s played out now.

The new thing is calling someone a “Johnny (insert some menial chore the person does)”

Waiters are Johnny Take-A-Plates
Politicians are Johnny Cut-A-Ribbons
Moms are Johnny Burb-A-Babys

Marley23, did that actually originate in the vaudville days? If so, your cite pre-dates mine.

Mine dates from the early '60’s, when my two brothers were in Alaska at the isolated tip of a forested peninsula, surveying it for the developer (who was already selling the lots they were establishing)(and who didn’t exactly know where the underwater lots were).

Among his other faults, he sent a couple of his friends there for their vacation. They were referred to by my brothers as Pistol McChainsaw and his friend.

P McC shot everything he couldn’t saw down, or vice versa. His friend told my bros that as a young man in North Dakota, he had found that the Great Bear rotated around the Pole Star twice every night, providing this as a piece of Great Wisdom Learned from Experience that Every Young Outdoorsman Apprentice (my brothers) Needed to Know.

Among the developer’s other faults, he was not dependable in the provision department, and my bros had been supplementing their food with game until Pistol McChainsaw came along, after which they saw nothing larger than a squirrel, and few of them.

That series was produced by Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein, who were writers on The Simpsons in the early to mid nineties. Also writing Simpsons during that era: Conan O’Brien, who has a Kilty McBagpipe character on his current show. Coincidence??

This was the first time I heard it. I use this phrase a lot.

That’s new? I thought that dates back to the Revolutionary or Civil war.

Al Capp used to use a similar construction all the time: Mc+ characteristic. There was Moonbeam McSwine (who lived with pigs), McFeeble (who dropped dead at bad news), Earthquake McGoon (a goon),

Red Skelton created the character Cauliflower McPug, a broken-down boxer.

So the construction goes back long before SNL.

I know very little about vaudeville, I was just citing the SNL ep.

Rube Goldberg’s Boob McNutt was first published in 1915.

In the late 1960s, a little girl named Bayn Johnson played a Shirley-Templish character named “Curly McDimple.” She was a regular on the 13-week long Dean Jones series “What’s It All About, World?”

There’s a pretty good bar called ‘Filthy McNasty’s’ in Edmonton (and other towns, I hear). Which apparently comes from a song.

When I was in college, we referred to a certain gentleman who lived down the hall as Smokey McBongWater.

That was me! :slight_smile: I picked up the construction off of fametracker.com, where the forum posters routinely refer to celebrities by variations of this construction. Julia Roberts, for example, is “Toothy McHorseface.”