Using the put-down "firstname-y Mc-lastname"

I’d love to see a Doper be named Firstname-y McLastname. I think that’s the funniest one in the thread.

Yep - I was thinking Firsty McLastname.

and Push You Down? the “Johnny” lingo came from the late 1800’s - from clowns, IIRC. The travelling-circus clown community used it and it led to phrases like Johnny Come-Lately and Johnny One Note, etc…

Indeed, Ross had similar names for all his students because he was too shy and uninterested to learn any of the others’ names.

In an episode of MST3K (Space Mutiny) Mike and the Bots rattled off dozens of names for the large, lunkeaded hero such as Biff McHugelarge, Rip Bigbeef, etc., etc.

–Cliffy

… Sigh… Yes the “Johnny” convention did exist before now… BUT it is replacing the “Mc” convention as hip slang… It’s the NEW thing.

What about a Scottish Terrier named Filthy McNasty?

Sounds more like a warmed-over old thing. And I’ve never been hip, so I dispute that part of your comment.

That was his dad, the character on the Simpsons was Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabbadoo!

All the way back in the Eighties, Boston Celtics radio announcer Johnny Most (may his memory be blessed) was calling the Detroit Pistons’ Rick Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer “McFilthy and McNasty”.

wow, thank you so much for your patience with us feeble-minded types. Can’t thank you enough…

Phoney McRingRing is the mascot and president of the phone company. He appeared in a promotional film once Springfield recieved a new area code pointing out that even a monkey can remember ten digits, so you should have no problem remembering to punch in an area code when you call.

To correct Marley23, Flaming Moe’s, the episode that featured a reference to the fictional Tipsy McStagger, aired in 1991, not 1995.

About the “currency” of the “Johnny …” idiom. If I were to post to the SDMB today and use a “Johnny …” phrase would I be a Johnny Come-lately or Johnny On-the-spot?

What about Blood Sweat & Tears’ Lucretia MacEvil? From 1970.

/showing my age

It was used on an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 some time in the early 1990s, so it clearly predates 1997.

On the Stephanie Miller show they call Scott McClellen “Puffy McMoonface”. I guess because he gets all huffy when reporters ask him questions he doesn’t want to answer.