Valentine: a new "The CW" series

Valentine is a new show on The CW, airing Sunday night. From The CW website:

“…Meet the Valentines, a family of Greek gods who’ve been watching over us throughout the years from their mansion high up in the Hollywood hills. Grace Valentine (a.k.a. ‘Aphrodite’) is the matron of the family… but don’t let that fool you. She’s as sexy and seductive as she ever was. Grace believes in the power of love, and strives to make others believe, too – a tall order in such cynical times. Her son, Danny Valentine (a.k.a. ‘Eros’) is a little more pragmatic…”

There’s a lot more description on the website.

I recorded it with very low expectations. In the first 15 minutes or so, I almost turned it off, but then it got more interesting. By the end of the first episode, I was actually looking forward to the next episode.

Now, it’s not going to be an X-Files or a Lost, but I did find it entertaining. And it didn’t hurt that the main character, Jaime Murray, is absolutely breathtaking and is accompanied by an almost equally gorgeous cast.

I haven’t watched the second episode yet, but I’m looking forward to seeing it.

Anyone else see this show? What did you think?

J.

I saw a bit of the second episode yesterday. Fun stuff, potentially.

One thing that might have been my imagination was a Douglas Adams shoutout. I was already thinking that the premise was reminiscent of ‘Long dark tea-time of the soul’ - ancient immortal gods trying to deal with the modern mortal world.

Near the end, where two of the Valentine tribe, (I’m guessing,) convinced a guy to crash the wedding of his ex to some other man, we got the following gist of dialog:
Guy who had to be fixed up: Wait a second, you’re Sophie’s florists. What kind of florists invite the bride’s ex-boyfriend to the ceremony?
Valentine brothers: (after exchanging a look.) HOLISTIC florists.

A nod to the world’s first ever holistic detective?

ETA: I have to admit the fact that Christine Lakin and Autumn Reeser appear is a plus mark in my book. :wink:

This is also a nod at the first episode, with a similar exchange (“what kind of plumbers ARE you?” “Holistic plumbers”).

J.

Okay, so apparently it’s a running gag. That leaves open the question of what inspired it in the first place.