~~~ Virtual Thanksgiving Dinner ~~~

<sidles up to Ponder Stibbons>

So, you brought cookies, eh? Bailey’s Irish Cream, you say? Chocolate…no kidding?

Ummmm…

HEY LOOK, ISN"T THAT SEAN CONNERY OVER THERE NEKKID IN THE HOT TUB?!?!

<runs away with cookies jammed in mouth, pockets, hands, and balances one on the head> Heh, heh, heh… <mmph, chomp, smack>

Well it’s my birthday and most traditional Thanksgiving food doesn’t sit well with me…

I’m bringing lasagna. When I was in my teens and my birthday fell on Thanksgiving, I made a lasagna without anyone asking.

But I’ll have some green bean casserole and rolls. Maybe a slice of ham.

Welcome Odinoneeye, and happy early birthday, for you, since its a special day, I will make you what ever you want.
Also a big welcome to Darkhold. The only thing that is going to be on fire here is the candles. ( Hopefully )

Ya know, I have way too much time on my hands. I’ve gone through this thread and compile a menu list of all the goodies available. Latecomers can fill in sections that seem sparse. And BTW, some people keep asking for ham, but I didn’t see anyone bringing it. Must be the wine talking.

Meat dishes

At least two turkeys
Grilled Turkey breast
lasagna

Vegetables:

Green bean casserole(2)
Carrot and parsnip casserole
mashed potatoes
glazed carrot
sweet potato souffle with marshmallows
Williamsburg Sweet Potato casserole
Stuffed portabella mushrooms

Sides:

homemade stuffing(three kinds!)
Jello mold
homemade cranberry sauce

Breads:

buttermilk biscuits
bread rolls
homemade croissants

Drink:

french wine(some of it is champagne)
Californian wine(several varieties, including a blush and a merlot)
red wine
beer
coffee

Desserts:(The long category)

Mongolia squash pie
pumpkin roll
chocolate cream pie
shoofly pie(2)
pumpkin pie
spiced pumpkin pudding
brownies
chocolate chip cookies
Bailey’s Irish Cream Choco-Chunk cookies
Cool Whip
real whipped cream

Looks pretty complete. GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY! No gravy or butter for the rolls! misstee! You still got that turkey carcass and the pan it was cooked in? I’ll run into the kitchen and whip up some turkey gravy. Who’s going to go to the store for real butter?

How the heck did that sad face get in there? Ought to teach me to preview!!!

I got butter, its in the fridge.
You can make the gravy, Baker, I can’t seem to make mine with out it being lumpy.

I also am hankering for a ice cream pie. Oreo[sup]TM[/sup] Cookie Ice cream Pie.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts!

I have Barbeque Bean Cassarole to add to the pile!

gives Misstee a chaste smooch

And maybe after the feast a trip to the Virtual Hottub would be in order? :smiley:

Sanscour

I only mentioned ham because someone else did. I thought I’d missed it.

I’ll need to add some Diet Pepsi to the drink list.

and a Sugar Free apple pie.

Welcome Sanscour.
Depends on how much I eat, weather I venture into the hot tub after dinner.
Did I ever mention I love Greeks who come bearing gifts?

Not to worry Odinoneeye, I will throw a ham in the oven, just for you.

Real recipe for Sugar free Apple Pie

One 6oz. can frozen apple juice concentrate(unsweetened)
8 teaspoons flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
5 cups(or as desired) thinly sliced tart apples
Top and bottom crusts for a 9-inch pie

Place the juice in a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Quickly stir in the flour and cinnamon and keep stirring, as it gets thick very quickly. Continue to cook for another minute or so, then pour sauce into apple slice, and toss to distribute thoroughly. Place apples in bottom crust, dot with butter, and cover with top crust, sealing well. Brush top crust lightly with beaten egg. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for about an hour, or until pie is a deep golden brown. When it cools place in refrigerator to help it set up some, as it’s rather juicy until it gets cold. If you want a sclice of pie warm stick it in the microwave.

Hi all! I come bearing my famous Broccoli/Wild Rice Casserole. Mmm, smells heavenly in here! I love Thanksgiving!

Welcome Dolores Claiborne.
I also love the smells of Thanksgiving!

misstee, save some ham for me. Best meat on Earth!
Dolores, I knew there was a reason I liked you! My sister makes a fabulous brocoli/rice/cheese casserole.

Another fabulous party, Misstee. You certainly set a high standard. So, if I may be so bold to ask, what are you wearing under that apron? :wink:

I’ll bring some good old-fashioned Southern sweet-potato pie. After I track down the recipe.

I’ll also bring a dessert I once made for an office luncheon after sampling it at an SCA banquet. I can’t remember the actual name for it, but it’s a cold sour cherry soup. I know it doesn’t sound very appetizing (in fact, nobody at my office touched it) but it’s absolutely delicious.

In the meantime, did someone bring any devlilled eggs? :cool:

Can someone fill me in on the whole thanksgiving deal? Is it anything like our Christmas dinner, except without the maddened old biddy on the tele that you blatantly ignore as she drones on about what her and her family have been up to, as if it was even remotely likely that we care. In case you haven’t figuired I hate the Royal Family. but I have worked out that thanksgiving isn’t the time for squabbles(unlike the British Christmas) but is the time for good food and even better drink(just like a British Christmas).

The_Immortal_Mango,

different people eat different things. But usually your Thanksgiving dinner is a lot like your Xmas dinner. (my house Ham, Turkey, stuffing, fresh rolls, cranberry sauce, mostly traditional things. Talk to someone from Cali if you want some of the weirder meals)

And anytime you get family together there’s a potential for squabbles but my family usually doesn’t fight.

Welcome to my party Kizarvexius, The_Immortal_Mango, and Darkhold.
To answer your questions:

Kizarvexius, I am wearing my newest purchase, a nice skirt :wink:

The_Immortal_Mango, its a dinner that celebrates family and friends together.

heh. Thanks for welcoming me twice dorlin.

Don’t worry about it though if I had this many people over at my house my head would be exploding.

If someone will bring some Hawaiian Salad I will pay for the ingredients. Aloha.

BWAH! Some of my family’s most memorable squabbles were at Thanksgiving. Of course, serious Thanksgiving squabbles have one major advantage: the participants usually still aren’t talking a month later, so Christmas is reeeeeal quiet. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanksgiving is supposed to commemorate the experience of a group of British settlers who arrived in what is now in Massachusetts in 1620. They were woefully underprepared for the first winter and most starved or died of disease. The survivors were greatly helped by a local Indian tribe the following year, and to show their gratitude they invited the Indians over for a huge feast after the successful harvest. Since the whole starvation and disease side of the story is something of a drag, we focus on the big party with lots of food. Eat Yourself Stupid, that’s the Thanksgiving motto!

Turkey is considered canonical - so much so that someone has actually invented a “tofurkey” for vegetarians! - but the side dishes will vary from family to family and are fiercely traditional. In fact pre-Thanksgiving squabbles have arisen over whether the sweet potatoes should have marshmallows or not :eek: The television entertainment for the day features parades, particularly the Macy’s parade from New York City, in the morning, and American football games the rest of the day. The President doesn’t make a speech, so we miss out on yet another potential cause of Thanksgiving Day squabbles