We broke up.

I wanted to thank everybody who contributed their thoughts in this thread, which I posted while trying to decide what to do with my relationship. You guys helped me to clarify my thinking and to consider angles of the decision I hadn’t thought of before, and I really appreciate it. In case anyone was curious what happened, I thought I’d post this.

Ultimately, I realized the best thing would be to get out of the relationship. About two weeks ago, my former s.o. and I decided to end the relationship since we want different things. Acknowledging reality can sometimes be so difficult! It hurts, but it’s also been a great relief and feeling of freedom. Now we both have a chance to pursue our (divergent) goals. We are still going to be friends, as we were before pursuing a romantic relationship. It’s the most peacable breakup I’ve ever been through. I’m planning on dating casually for now, if I happen to meet anybody. I definitely don’t want to “rebound” on anybody, so I’m going to be careful for a while.

Okay, with that said, any single Doper dudes out there?? Who don’t already think I’m really screwed up? :smiley:

Thanks again, everybody whose thoughtful answers helped me to think more rationally about my life.

Peace,

ggurl

I’m sorry to hear it’s ended, but I’m glad to see you’re being positive and moving on.

You’re intelligent and considerate and graceful in conversation, so you won’t lack for suitors.

So how ya doin’?

Sounds like you did the right thing, even though it is probably painful in the short term.

Sending supporting thoughts your way.

Thanks, qts and Khadaji, for your kind words.
qts, I remember you. How you doin’? :slight_smile: :wink:

Single, eh?

I don’t make to Ohio so often (approximately never, but I’m rounding up), but maybe I should. You have any good Italian places there in Findlay?

:wally <—ignore the “putz” part…that was just the closest I could get to a wink.

What?

We’re not going out now, are we?

See? Life is good. If you were in the U.K., I’d point out that the NADSers are having a fest on Monday. Oh, I just did :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear that things didn’t work out, but it sounds like you made the right decision. Good luck on finding someone who is ready for the same kind of goals you want to pursue. :slight_smile:

Like this :wink: ???

Oh.

Yeah.

That’s the one.

Heh. Heh heh.

'Scuse me, I hear my phone ringing.

What’s your damage, Karmic??? :wally to you too, I guess!

:confused:
Peace,

ggurl

No, really! I meant the part about “<—ignore the “putz” part…that was just the closest I could get to a wink.”

I was a bit slow and didn’t realize that there was a winky smiley without the ‘putz’ (as was pointed out a little later by Greenback). Not realizing was my “damage”.

Sorry to offend. Really didn’t mean anything.

Sorry sorry sorry!

:smack: No offense taken - my bad.

I need to get a little less sensitive. I’m really sorry for the misunderstanding.

Have a nice day! - :slight_smile: ggurl

Oh, and

:smack:

Single Doper male reporting for duty! :wink: I must warn you that I require at least a passing familiarity with Monty Python material as a prerequisite for any serious relationship. Ability to use tools a plus.

No harm no foul. So…uh…does this mean that if I were to come to Findlay, you’d owe me a date now?

Tee hee!..

…okay.

:smiley:

Omghi2u!!!

Lol! Thanks guys! I guess I needed an ego boost. :slight_smile:

And Tuckerfan, I have no problem fulfilling your requirement. My kid brother and I had all the episodes, The Holy Grail, Life of Brian, etc. memorized back in the day. It must’ve driven our parents nuts, having two little punks running around chanting, “He’s pining for the fjords!!..Pining for the fjords?!? If he wasn’t nailed to the perch, he’d be pushing up daisies!!!” in fake British accents.

Whoa! Color me impressed! Life of Brian is my favorite Monty Python flick (not simply because my first name’s Brian, but because I really identify with the character in the film).

I’m a single woman in my early 30s, and I’ve noticed that there seems to be a lack of decent men in my age group who are single, have no kids, and actively want to change that situation. I heard some statistic, probably false and alarmist, that a woman over 30 is more likely to get hit by a bus than get married. (Compound that with the fact that my car got hit by a bus last year, and you can understand my chagrin). :frowning:

Is this just an error in my perception? If so, where are all you guys hiding out? ggurl and I want to know, obviously.