Welcome to Hate Week

The week of October 12th sounds like a very good time to make a donation to the liberal candidate of my choice.

Surely there’s a corollary to Godwin’s Law vis-a-vis segregation used as a trump card for any popularly held view in society.

“Fifty-seven percent of Americans think gay marriage is a bad idea? Yeah, well, 57% of Americans once favored segregation, so there!”

If that’s truly the trump card to the popular will that you represent it to be, why not do away with democracy altogether?

In your eagerness to demonstrate the principle of non sequitar, Dog, you rather missed the point. The comparison to segregation points out that “popular” opinions do change, over time, and that this is a good thing.

I was born and raised in Texas, and am of an age to remember such things as seperate drinking fountains, etc. As a child, I didn’t know any black people. None. Yet we lived less than two blocks from, to use the polite term, the “colored part of town.” In those dark days, virulent racism was entirely acceptable.

As regards “gays” - the people are changing, and this is all to the good. The shrill keening about the “sanctity” of marriage will fade. Take out the word “marriage” and the “ick factor” dissolves. We don’t seek to “trump” the popular will, but to enlighten it. I have little doubt that we will, ultimately, succeed.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and attribute the “do away with democracy” blather as a result of your droll, ironic wit.

Or Libertarian, in my case.

Or maybe we can all agree to give something to the ACLU?

I am calling for a boycott of all Lynn Bodoni records due to this comment. Please bring all your CDs to the Walmart parking lot on Sunday afternoon to be run over by our devil music steamroller.

Charming.

Shrubbie says that all Americans, including the cocksucking and muffdiving variety, should be treated with dignity and respect. The he signs this putrid pile of shit.

I’m sure Shrubbie values marriage very highly. He should, seeing as how his own apparently kept him from ending up in a ditch somewhere, his car wrapped around the the tree he would have crashed into while out of his alcohol-hazed cocaine-fuzzed mind. And yet he, like every other asshole who has spoken out on this issue, has completely and utterly failed to offer up a single way in which their “sacred union” will be harmed in the slightest by the legal marriage of two people of the same sex.

Personally, I think the most appropriate program, activity or ceremony would be to go through the ranks of the fucks on the wrong side of this issue and list off all of their failed marriages in full-page ads in every major newspaper in the country, along with a request for an explanation as to why their marriages fell apart with no pressure at all from legal same-sex marriage.

Very dignified proclamation, Shrubbie. Very respectful. And of course, as always, very compassionate.

It’s one thing for a Republican president to state that he believes marriage is between a man and a woman - hell, it’s part of party’s platform.

Why, however, does he need to set aside a week dedicated to the ‘protection’ of marriage(I still don’t how marriage needs protection from two people of the same gender legally uniting)?

Social conservatives, help me understand this one, huh? What would examples of the appropriate programs, activities and ceremonies entail?

Arnold woul have vetoed California’s recent historic domestic partnership legislation.

More compassionate conservatism. I wonder if Log Cabin Republicans will withdraw its endorsement now that the serial molester of women has also been exposed as anti-gay (although I bet he’d be pro-lesbians fucking in front of him).

Gay Republicans, how many more shits have to be taken on you by the Republican party before you figure out that you have no place under the “Big Tent”?

I wish someone would post the verbatim of Dennis Miller’s routine about finding Jesus. It goes something like this:

Fucking sanctimonious hypocritical assholes like Shrub somehow manage to make the transition from a slack jawed party boy into a Bible thumping zealot who suddenly knows exactly what’s best for everyone else who doesn’t give a shit about his brand of narrow-minded banana oil. All this royal asshole needs is a cape and scepter.

Otto: Why did you not only link to the same proclamation I linked to, but quoted the whole thing in this thread? As far as I can tell, you linked to the very same page, even.

I know I’m pretty much a null around here, but at least people should read the OP.

(Actually, I’m more curious than miffed. I’d really enjoy knowing.)

PS: The line “pro-lesbians fucking in front of him” is priceless. :smiley:

Well, honestly, I didn’t click your link. I figured it was a link to a news story, since I’d just read a similar story.

This story was bad enough when I first heard about it. But just now I was reminded that October 12, the first day of “Marriage Protection Week”, is the anniversary of the murder of Matthew Shepard.

This administration has no fucking shame at all.

Wow…that’s so incredibly fucking beyond bad taste it’s astounding.I’d really like to see some of the bigger Gay and Lesbian groups that have access to the media point that little tidbit out to the populace at large, once again exposing GW for the hateful moronic piece of shit he is.

Thats GOT to be a coincidence. They can’t be that hateful.

Remember, this is also the administration that declared the anniversary of the Roe vs. Wade decision “National Sanctity of Life Day”.

Not to mention National fucking Coming Out Day.

[font size=1]And two days before my birthday.[/font]

:mad:

Cite?

(sorry, always wanted to do that grin)

I know you were kidding Cerri, but I think some people will it isn’t coincidence.

It’s silly to think that the tastelessness of making the week on the Shepard anniversary wouldn’t be a huge liability against their goals. The last thing they want is people to be reminded of a reason to be sympathetic to gays at the same time they try to marginalize them. The administration is not that stupid.

Wow, it’s like there is a new reason presented to me every day as to why Bush will not get my vote in 2004. I’m happy to say that I hear more and more republicans echo that sentiment every day. The question is, how much more damage can this man do in the remainder of his term. Quite a bit, I’m afraid. Anyway…

This is an old news story but I found one line to be laughable.

Click here for full story

Yeah, doesn’t believe in politicizing, my ass. This is just another way to cater to the fundamentalists to ensure he gets their vote. Geez George, is this really the type of stuff you need to be directing your attention on. Aren’t there other issues perhaps? Maybe some time could be spent on the economy or education or Iraq. You know, the stuff you are supposed to be doing. I do realize that this would cut into the fund-raising, vacations, and gay bashing (the fun stuff) but at least you could say that you actually did something, after the smoke clears in 2004 and you are back at the ranch with a whole bunch of free time on your hands.

Things like this really make me want to rethink my stance on non-violence.