[QUOTE=cowgirl]
I can’t help but noticing that the FOS is only being pointed at people who are speaking up and providing analysis. So it seems that piping up is a risky move. This of course is what results in the Lynch-the-Lurker strategy that didn’t seem to go over so well last time.
We also saw that the citizens who did post good analyses and opinions were targeted at night.
So can someone help out the newbie here?
What’s to be gained for a Citizen, for a Mafia, and for the other roles, to pipe up and provide analysis and opinion at this time?
[/QUOTE]
I think, as you point out, that people learned from last game some of the strategies that can be employed, specifically lurking vs. standing out. All things being equal (though they’re not), I’d rather say more because it makes the game more fun. Sure, I could probably sit back and say little and hope to escape the noose and the gun for the next couple of days, but what’s the point of that. Also, because we have the no lurking rule, if you’re only going to say a little bit and you say something that makes you look suspicious (either as a mafia or as a townie), you have less opportunity to push suspicion away from yourself.
That said, I hope I’m adding some valuable incite to the discussions, especially since it looks like we’re going to have a harder time pinning the mafia this time considering the enormous amount of luck that befell the town in the last game by getting the alpha-wolf in the very first lynching. Also, by posting more, it let’s other people determine for themselves whether or not I’m trustworthy AND it encourages them to post which allows me to gauge their trustworthiness.
Granted, a good mafia player will likely have a similar strategy, except with their added knowledge, they will be trying to not only steer suspicion from themselves, but try to cast it from their comrades as well. Thus, that is why I like the “trust vs. mistrust” idea, because we ought to be able to justify all the people on our lists, and if I see another individual who has too many people I don’t trust on their trust list, I’m going to be very suspicious of them.
The bottom line is, as it appears to me, the mafia will be normally be reactionary, because they’re just trying to dispell their own suspicion, or they’ll jump on bandwagons to look like the crowd.
Basically, it’s a cost/benefit analysis; talk a lot to try to gain the trust of your allies, but risk gaining suspicion, or lay low and give no indications that you can be trusted or not. Clearly, because there’s less risk for your average town folk and more for your mafia as the gaining of suspicion is much more dangerous since there’s comparatively so few of them, I’m going to tend to trust people who speak more than those who don’t UNLESS they foolish tip their hands, like it seems a couple have.
Similarly, I’m going to guess the mafia realize this, and will only kill loud townies that have foolishly tipped their hands toward a special role, otherwise, they’ll probably stick to the quieter ones at first who may be key roles hoping to lay low for a while and gain information before saying much.