[QUOTE=Blaster Master]
Well, let’s take a look at what kind of numbers a beat cop would get, first, we consider the known roles in the game: scum (includes potential millers), townie (potentially includes gf), doctor, ga, cop, vig, sk, mason. That means, if he’s going to be wrong, there’s a 1/7 chance for each of the other roles to be chosen for the individual.
Thus, if the result is vanilla townie, then it’s clearly more likely that the individual is a townie because he was either right (1/2 * 100%) or he was wrong (1/2 * ~14%), thus, if he was a townie, he has a 50% chance of showing up as one, but if he was something else, he only has about a 7% chance of having shown up as a townie. Further, of those 7 other roles he may have been, clearly most of them (doctor, ga, cop, mason, vig) are in the favor of the town. IOW, if someone shows up as a townie from a beat cop, he’s mostly safe and, all other things being equal, should be treated with less suspicion.
<snip>
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=NAF1138]
Equally likely, which should answer FP’s question as well. I am going to feed all the possible roles (as listed at the top of the game) into random.org and get the answer from there, if they are supposed to get a wrong answer. To decide if they get a wrong answer or not I am going to flip a coin and have the call heads or tails. To head off the next question…no they don’t know the outcome of the coin flip.
[/QUOTE]
From what I understand of this NAF said he was going to feed the roles into random.org each night to get which role the beat cop would see for the person investigated, if he is wrong. I’m assuming the cop calls heads or tails when he says who he wants to investigate. So EACH TIME, the outcome is 50/50. Not that the cop will be wrong on 50% of all of his investigations. Theoretically, he could be wrong on 100% of his investigations if he calls the wrong flip every night. Also, if he were to investigate the same person every night, he could theoretically get a different answer every time for 7 or 8 nights (depending on how many actual roles there are in the game). I do agree that if he gets the same answer on successive nights that the likelihood is greater of having a right answer, because of the randomness of the wrong answer.
I may be making no sense at all here, (I’ve been buried in this thread for about 3 hours, and my head is just about full) but I just don’t see how the beat cop is going to factor as a power player.