What are the little blue half-circles by the dates?

Just started noticing this in the last few days. As I’m scrolling through a thread, a little blue half-circle appears by the date in each post, then fades away. It’s kind of distracting. What are they for?

In Chrome on an Android phone, if that makes any difference.

A WAG, they disappear when the system considers the post to have changed from unread to read.

Found it,

Thanks. I kind of figured it was something like that, but wasn’t sure how that was different from the red “Last Visit” line in each thread.

So, as an experiment, I opened a thread that had about 15 unread posts, and when it took me to where I had left off, I jumped all the way to the bottom, and I could see the blue mark on each post as I scrolled up. So I guess if you jump around in a thread, this will show posts you might have skipped over.

They’re full circles here. Which half is missing for you?

Man, I never noticed that before. But now… Now, there it is. There they are. Blue dots that fade away like someone who is looking at you does when you notice that they’re looking at you.

Upper right corner of each post above the date. Flat side to the right, round side to the left, like a little blue half moon. Could be because I’m on a mobile device that I’m not seeing the whole thing?

Is the time/date obscuring the left half?

The left half is what I see, it’s the right half that’s missing. The flat side is alongside the right side of the post box. It’s actually above the date/time, all the way up in the corner. Nothing’s obscuring it.

I’d try to get a screen shot if it didn’t disappear so fast!

You’ll also notice (at least on a non-phone) that at the same moment the url in the url bar updates to have the next post # on the end and the “##/##” display over on the right increments as well, and the scroll slider jumps at that time too.

All of that is driven by the the background communications between client and server updating which post it thinks you’re actively looking at.

That would probably be because it is new

Well, I’m never not going to notice it now!

Same for me.

I bet the Germans have a word for this phenomenon.

They’re half circles for me on mobile, because they appear at the right edge of the screen. If I scroll over, I see the other half.