No notification when new posts are made in a thread I've previously read

Say I open a thread and read through the posts. Whenever new posts are subsequently added to that thread, a number is supposed to appear next to the thread title when I’m in that forum that indicates how many new posts there are (unless I actively turn off notifications for that thread). This does not always happen. What is the problem?

Since no one is replying, my guess is that you haven’t been in the thread long enough to change the notification indicator.

If you look at the bottom of the thread and check the indicator, does the indicator say tracking? If it doesn’t, that may be because you haven’t been in the thread long enough. There’s a time requirement to change the status indicator. If that indicator has not changed, you can go and change it manually.

I’m not sure. Sometimes even when I read to the end of the thread, the problem still comes up whenever somebody else adds a post.

OK, got it. It doesn’t go by whether you read all the posts, it goes by how long you’ve been in the thread.

You can set the amount of time in the preferences. Go to your avatar [pink P] in the right hand corner. Then hit the person icon [head on shoulders]. Then choose preferences. On the left hand side, hit notifications. There’s a box for the length of time you want to be in the thread before it considers you are tracking it.

You can also set what you track by categories which is under the notifications setting on the left hand side.

Got it, thanks. Hopefully this will work.