What are you putting in your Eggnog?

[QUOTE=Winston Smith]
Years ago, a friend introduced me to Rebel Yell Whiskey. It’s bottom-shelf rotgut, and you invariably have to dust off the bottle, but it goes surprisingly well with Eggnog. Anyways, no Rebel Yell this year, but I’ve discovered Rum mixes nicely, as does Vodka (of course)…
[/QUOTE]

If you think Rebel Yell, is bottom-shelf rotgut, you’ve had a sheltered life. Ever drunk any Tom Moore?

I’d pick dark rum to put the nog in my eggnog, but my favorite eggnog drink is not alcoholic. Mix an equal amount of chilled strong coffee with chilled eggnog. (Consider using flavored coffee.) Drink. The coffee cuts the sweetness–but this is still very rich.

[QUOTE=Lute Skywatcher]
I make a fake egg nog due to dietary considerations. My SO likes it better than the real thing.

1 blender
1 carton French vanilla ice cream
Milk
Egg substitute
Rum extract
Nutmeg

Scoop enough ice cream into the blender to loosely fill it.
Pour milk in up to the top line.
Pour in about two eggs’ worth of substitute
Splash in some rum flavor.
Sprinkle in some nutmeg.
Blend.
Adjust flavoring and nutmeg as needed.

I’ve also make a chocolate version by adding some cocoa powder.
[/QUOTE]
Oh, forgot to mention that the ice cream we use is low carb.

I put Frangelica in for taste and vodka in for kick.

My parents used to pick up a couple of bottles every season of Rum and Brandy to put into the egg nog (and the Tom and Jerry batter). I managed to find the same brands of both products in 1992, but not since then. The frustrating thing is I can’t even remember what the brand names were.

But they were defnintely seasonal.

Myers Rum and a sprinkle of powdered nutmeg.

I use Brandy. I’ve used rum before but I switched to brandy a couple years ago, I like it better.

[QUOTE=gigi]
Interesting…it doesn’t curdle?
[/QUOTE]

No, and I was surprised the first time MrWhatsit made it, too. Most people I tell about this think it sounds utterly disgusting, but seriously, try it sometime. Sprite and eggnog are two great tastes that taste great together.

[QUOTE=Elza B]
Trunk, I’m going to borrow that recipe. I love egg nog, but I’ve never made my own.

I added Bailey’s to mine. Extremely rich, but yummy once or twice.

E.
[/QUOTE]

That wasn’t exact, and there’s some details I left out.

This sounds close to what I make:

http://256.com/gray/recipes/eggnog/

it uses Rum and Bourbon which is what mine uses. In Step 2, beat the egg yolks until rather pale.

If you let it sit, it will separate into a liquid layer, and a foamy layer. I actually like to stir it and it becomes the consistency of a milkshake.

Remember. . .you can always add more booze, but you can’t take it out, so start light. I usually lightly spike mine, and keep a bottle nearby so that the drinker can alter to their liking. My wife likes it weak.

And, I serve it cool. That recipe has it at room temp.

I’ve never had Eggnog, but it’s available from the supermarket all year round.

What’s the attraction, exactly?

[QUOTE=Martini Enfield]
I’ve never had Eggnog, but it’s available from the supermarket all year round.

What’s the attraction, exactly?
[/QUOTE]

What’s the attraction of any beverage?

Eggnog is milky and sweet, with a hint of spice (at least the supermarket one). It’s a different taste, somewhat of an acquired taste. Some people associate it with the holidays and really only drink it at this time of year.

[QUOTE=gigi]
But usually I add Kahlua.
[/QUOTE]

I like Kahlua, too. If you’re making it for a party, you can make it in a punch bowl - you add the Kahlua, and then gently fold in some whipped cream (Cool Whip is fine, too). To get real fancy, you can add a drizzle of chocolate syrup on top of each serving.

[QUOTE=MsWhatsit]
No, and I was surprised the first time MrWhatsit made it, too. Most people I tell about this think it sounds utterly disgusting, but seriously, try it sometime. Sprite and eggnog are two great tastes that taste great together.
[/QUOTE]
Hmmm…I think I’m on board.

[QUOTE=Martini Enfield]
I’ve never had Eggnog, but it’s available from the supermarket all year round.

What’s the attraction, exactly?
[/QUOTE]

It’s something so high in calories and bad things for you one can only can indulge in it’s lovely goodness once a year. So enjoy!

At the moment: Courvoisier VS cognac

I polled the people on my LJ friends list. Some of the responses:

strychnine
ketchup
a chainsaw
a smile
spit

Those are from non-nogophiles. I happen to be one as well.

  1. Buy a quart of “No-Name” brand eggnog
  2. Put in the fridge, waaaaay in the back.
    2.5) Leave it there.
  3. Get out the rum
    Enjoy

Not a fan of eggnog, nope, not at all…

FML

(PS) May your holidays be full of YOUR Favourite cheer!

[QUOTE=GingerOfTheNorth]
I polled the people on my LJ friends list. Some of the responses:

strychnine
ketchup
a chainsaw
a smile
spit

Those are from non-nogophiles. I happen to be one as well.
[/QUOTE]

Mmmmm…

Chainsaw.

:: Drool ::

Fill big coffee cup about 1/3 of the way with eggnog. Add coffee. Heat and serve.

[QUOTE=Martini Enfield]
I’ve never had Eggnog, but it’s available from the supermarket all year round.

What’s the attraction, exactly?
[/QUOTE]

It’s basically uncooked custard with alcohol, so if you like custard, creme caramel, creme brulee, custard tarts and things of that ilk, chances are you’ll probably enjoy eggnog.

[QUOTE=blackhobyah]
It’s basically uncooked custard with alcohol, so if you like custard, creme caramel, creme brulee, custard tarts and things of that ilk, chances are you’ll probably enjoy eggnog.
[/QUOTE]

Or not. I would rather eat puke.