What do you do when your life has been stolen?

These are things I can do in an hour and if I don’t feel like doing them I don’t have to. Loud noise, bright lights too many people moving around, it does something to me. I have a hard time explaining it, it’s like I get overwhelmed and start getting confused, this scares me and I get kind of panicky and frustrated. I don’t know why this happens, but it’s well documented also. The three day thing I was talking about earlier, I wore a heart rate monitor and BP machine the whole time. Every time it started getting loud or busy around me or I was asked to do things that required concentration my pulse and BP would start to skyrocket, I don’t know why and neither do they, at least according to them. I have an engineering background, as you can imagine there is a lot of math involved. During my neuropsych testing I could not figure out simple algebra, I drew a complete blank. The hardest part of the testing for me was the math, but when I was in school doing calculus my fellow students used to joke and call me the rainman. My working memory test score came in in the 99.5th percentile, one in two hundred people could recite the problems back like I could, but when I would go to bed at night and wake up the next morning it was like eighty percent of the day before had not happened. The analogy I used with the doctors was that it was like going out and drinking too much and talking to your friends the next day. They would say do you remember standing on the bar with a lampshade on your head and the answer would be no, but the more it was talked about, the more I would remember (please remember it’s just an analog. That’s the way it was for a very long time, and as I stated earlier it seems to be getting better and they think it is because my brain is learning new ways to remember and maybe creating new pathways.

Just a few quick examples of stupid things I have done…

Fixing the brakes on my truck. When I was done I tried to back out of the yard to test them and the truck would not move, I had no idea why…it was because I did not put the wheel back on and it was still on the jack.

I tried to build a new deck for my house, it was all framed in and I loaded the deck boards on and jumped up to start nailing them down. the whole thing fell off the house because I had just tacked the framing on to get it level and I forgot to secure it.

I was going some painting in the garage using a spray gun and compressor. I had to blow off the piece I was working on and then clean the gun with some lacquer thinner, I plugged the gun in and blew a seam out of it, I forgot to turn the pressure down. lacquer went flying everywhere and I was lucky I did not have the fire on in the stove. ( Don’t beat me up about the possibility of that happening to the gun, it was a very cheap, like $10.00, gun I was using for priming.)

There are countless other stories of these things happening, but I think you get the point, I am a liability. That coupled with the fact that these things have absolutely drained my confidence and I am afraid to try to do a lot of things. I have not used an ashtray in over seven years because I kept leaving the smokes sitting there and forgot about them and I can’t use a stove because I forget to turn it off when I am done. Keep in mind I was, I think, well respected in my job and was responsible for millions of dollars worth of very high end equipment. I designed, manufactured and installed, by myself, safety systems to protect employees from robots. The engineering team used to refer to me as the golden boy, because if there were problems, I made them go away keeping my employers in a good light with the people who contracted them to do the work, and they always questioned why I always had a smile on my face regardless of the pressure I was under, $97,000.00 an hour for a shutdown, and for the most part worked by myself. I designed systems, built them, installed them, programmed robots and machinery, did all the mechanical work, supervised their maintenance guys, taught operators courses in how to run the machinery, dealt with upper management, you name it a one man show, the whole time being on call 24/7. I wouldn’t leave until I had everything fixed, I seen me one day come in at in the morning with the day shift and I was still there when they came in for there next shift because it was that important to get the line up and running. I did not take a vacation in six years and I never called in sick or missed a day of work. I played hockey (sometimes leave work, drive for an hour to the rink, play, get a shower and go back to work after already doing a twelve hour shift) went to the gym, raised my family and always made it so I could have a few beers with my friends on Friday night. So am I lazy, not a chance. Did I love what I did, you bet. Do I miss it, goddamn right I do.

I really tried to avoid these details because I am not one for blowing my own horn, pretty much everything I have done in my life, I have done like this…to the very best of my ability, but I would swear over my kids head that what I said above is not even the slightest exaggeration of reality.

So to answer your question of why exactly can’t I work, I don’t know. I think it’s because I can no longer function that way, and any other way is completely foreign to me. I have no confidence, I am afraid i will screw up and hurt someone, and I can no longer “think straight”. All of this I have proven to myself time and time again as I showed in the earlier examples.

Something else that I would like to add…
Before the accident when I was doing design stuff it was like I could do 3-D rendering in my head. I could see what I wanted to do and move it around in my head to imagine what it would look like, I lost that with the accident too. Not sure if it makes any sense to anybody, but to me it was quite a loss.

Ok, so you can’t program robots or whatever. You could do desk work. I am sure that fancy work you were doing before needed people to write/edit training manuals. That’s one way you could use your expertise. It sucks that you can’t do what you want, but that’s life. I am certainly not employed doing what I want to do. But I suck it up and do it because I need a job and have bills to pay.

Now come on, I did not just stick my finger in there to see if it was hot, I used my “expensive” Fluke to test it. The design of the drives bussbar, made it so I had to remove the cover to get my leads in, I had a space of about 2X3 inches and the + - was about 3/4 on an inch apart. I think that the lead may have slipped and my hand came in contact with the bar, that’s only speculation though because I don’t really remember exactly what happened when I touched it.

I remember some of the plant electricians having these, but I think they were just coming out in '05, but I could be wrong. Also this was a DC circuit and I needed both ground and positive.

This was something I had done at least a hundred times before, it was part of the troubleshooting training that they had given me and the reason for having to do it was pretty common. Do we get a little complacent sometimes, of course, so in reality, poor design, poor training and hurrying to fix a common problem are where everything went wrong. To admit this is nothing new, I have always said it, I accept my part of the responsibility.

In a sense this part is partially true. If I give them up and fail at whatever I try to do, I will be in a worse position than what I am in now. This is also common knowledge with the WCB and my doctors, because I have brought it up with them, and they, for the most part, understand and agree.

I have tried.

Here is my problem, that’s exactly what I want to do, but there is no way in hell I can hold myself together long enough to pull it off. I have one thing on my side and that is the truth. I have never swayed from one thing I have said here in the last eight years. I f I could do it myself, it would be done, but if I screw up and fall apart half way through, I’m done.
I represented myself at the discovery hearing and when there two out of province high priced lawyers walked out of the room for a consult, I asked the person recording the proceedings how I was doing because I was nervous as hell and had never done anything like this before. Her reply was…I’ve never seen anyone handle it by themselves like you are, you’ll be fine. The one thing I have retained from before the accident is my ability to talk, and post, lol.

The economic outlook where I live now is pretty bleak. There is no industry to support what I used to do and definitely no technical writing jobs. What we have here now is part time, minimum wage jobs and that’s about it.

Well you know what? You may have to suck it up and take one of these minimum wage jobs. You won’t be the first who has had to and you won’t be the last.

You have options, but you are unwilling to see them. You are clinging to this situation from 8 years ago in order to not have to make the changes to have a life now. Does your wife support your decisions, or does she encourage you to move on with your life?

How does that make sense? I am stressed about money as it is, getting 20 hours a week at ten bucks an hour is certainly not going to help if I have to give up my pension for it. hell, even WCB would say that’s crazy.

My wife supports me, but I’m sure she wishes we could go back to a time before the accident.

Ok, maybe taking a job where you make less than you would in benefits doesn’t make sense. I’ll give you that. But if you spent as much time looking for another job and networking and meeting with career counselors as you do posting on here lately, you might be surprised at what is out there.

Putting yourself out there is the only way your life is going to change. If you don’t do try this is your life from here on out.

Or does she wish that you would move on and try to better your situation?

Perhaps it’s a difference in personality, but have you thought about creating your own job?

Perhaps you could become an advocate for people in situations like yourself, perhaps you could blog about your electrical expertise or expertise in fighting cases like this… open a paypal account, put in a link to donate and see what happens.

Some other ideas…

Writing technical manuals. Developing websites. Day trading. Volunteerism. Advocacy. Journalism. Commentary. Comedy. Reviews. Comics. Music. e-books. e-zines. Spam. Preying on the fools (Write a 32-page pamphlet why Obama is the anti-Christ, advertise it for $10 on wacko websites, distribute in PDF form, profit!) Online investigations (so much PI work is online nowadays.) Editing and drafting of documents. Programming. Consulting (software, process, engineering and electrical systems.)

I don’t think I’ve scratched the surface of things that, had you spent the past 4 years working on, you would be replacing, in full and more, your current disability payments, rarely leaving the house and much of it demonstrating the skills you have demonstrated here in this thread. You could have used the disability payments that you’re currently receiving to subsidize you in this new pursuit… and you can still do so.

If you want to, that is.

I wish you and your family all the best and a speedy resolution of the legal issue.

Of course she does, we both do, it’s just not that cut and dry.

Thanks John, you made me laugh.

No doubt, the are probably watching me now!

Lots of good ideas,but I have no idea where you would even start for most of them.

It actually is that cut and dry. You make the choice to move on and do so, or you continue to wallow in misery and what ifs.

You start on the internet, right? Isn’t that where you get most of your information about what your currently pursuing? Instead of spending time looking up WBC regulations or whatever, you could learn Access. Or SQL. Or how to write a technical manual. Or how to conduct investigations. Or how to edit videos. And if the specific info you need is not there, ask other experts.

Not too sure what I said that was funny - obviously, some of the things I mentioned require specific skill sets that you may or may not have (like music) - but that doesn’t make the advice any less valid.

But then again, it’s a personality thing. Or it’s experiential and cultural - “creating your own job” is how much of my family operated, and still do: My then-11yo daughter, wanting to make money for an upcoming trip, made a bunch of soaps and bath lotions in the kitchen using $30 in supplies, and sold the final product for over $100. I guarantee you that she wouldn’t have laughed at my advice. (And she didn’t, because this is what she did when I told her she had to make her own money. She got on the internet, looked up “how do kids make money”, saw some YouTube videos, and “Sophia’s Scent-sations” was born.)

Another example. Started a website while tending bar in Boston, now many estimate he is worth $100 million yearly to ESPN.

I just found this funny.

But it’s completely valid. And will earn you money. Not enough to replace your loss, but it’s a start, right? :slight_smile:

Yeah, I know, it just made me laugh to myself when I read it. And you’re right, I had never thought that someone could be doing a lot of those anti-whatever things purely for profit I just figured that they believed it. Good point.