What do you think of Krull?

We love Krull. But we also love some campy crappy movies.

IMO, Krull isn’t up the the Ray Harryhousen standards, though.

Yep.

campy cheesy fun, but it does contain the awesome speech

‘Fame? now there’s an empy purse; eat it and go hungry, count it and go broke, seek it…and go mad.’

According to Wiki, this was supposed to be the “official” Dungeons and Dragons movie, before they lost the license.

I liked Krull when I was a kid, and I’ll still watch it a bit when there’s nothing else on, but objectively, it’s not very good. It follows that standard standalone fantasy movie repetitious pattern of “oh no, we have problem X!”, “we can solve that immediately with previously-unintroduced magical thing Y!”, “hooray!”

Seriously, count 'em all. Here’s a few:

“We don’t know where the black fortress will appear each day!” “Let’s go visit the seer, he can tell us where it’ll appear!” “Hooray!”

“The seer’s magical whatsit was destroyed!” “There’s another one in this swamp!” “Hooray!”

“The seer has been killed!” “I know where there’s another one!” “Hooray!”

“Now we know where the fortress will appear, but it’s too far away!” “Let’s go catch some magic horses!” “Hooray!”

“My magic weapon doesn’t work anymore!” “Here, take this magic fire I’ve been carrying since the beginning of the movie instead of using it!” “Hooray!”

It gets kinda comical. But I do have a soft spot for gooseberry-obsessed Ergo the Magnificent, and Liam Neeson in his teeny-tiny role.

Personally, I love it. Maybe it’s not a really exceptional-epic-classic—like you could get a unanimous opinion on what one of those actually is—but it’s pretty well made, and it’s a lot of fun.

I’ll disagree with this one, for two reasons. First, it goes against your premise. The fire was introduced in the beginning (as you stated) and so it wasn’t just produced as a duex ex machina to solve a problem. Second, I think the fire didn’t work until passed from woman to man. The whole point of the ceremony was that the fire would bind them and that ceremony got interrupted before it could occur. Now, one would hope that this just happened for royalty because it would be really weird to live in a world where everyone could shoot fire out of their hands just because they’ve gotten married.

As for the movie as a whole, yeah, it’s pure cheese. But I’m willing to bet that, short of the main bad guy (who even as a kid I could tell looked unbelievably fake and computer generated/green screened), I think the movie as a whole would still be quite enjoyable.

I disagree with your…disagreement. Yes, it was introduced at the beginning, but certainly not as a weapon; it was a symbolic part of a wedding ceremony. A little magic flame being the Ultimate Weapon to bring down a world-searing scourge makes as much sense as somehow clubbing a rampaging manticore to death with a unity candle. It was a solution pulled out of the writer’s ass, just like the other examples.

Seriously, does it get any better than this?

The fire was supposed to be the power of love, I think. Something all metaphorical like that.

And this does not compare to Dune. Not even the Lynch version. Dune has a whole universe behind it. Krull was a tiny story about a tiny region on a tiny planet. No scope at all.

I prefer to think of her as the chick from Mannequin.

Hey Kim Catrall did some OK stuff until she became the cheesey whore of Sex and the City.

Turk 182, Star Trek, Big Trouble… uh, Duckman.

And this is funny, but I just watched Krull a few weeks ago on Netflix. Pretty cheesey, some interesting parts, but the quest just seemed like a “let’s go here, then here, then here” like Max Torque mentioned earlier.

And how do those horses not burn everything down around them?

The cyclops’ last stand was kind of touching.

Anyone remember the arcade game? I had a friend who loved that. I think I got smashed by rocks early and often in it.

Netflix is gonna wonder at the sudden spike in Krull rentals.

You can watch it instantly online.
But the thought of them ordering more DVDs of Krull because of a rental spike does amuse me.

Yeah, that’s what I remember as the best part.

I remember playing it and that it always had a broken joystick.

I assume that by “weird” you mean “totally awesome.”

I think it’s her whiney voice and overly dramatic delivery that kills me. She’s like the whore version of William Shatner.

Even if it’s just a spike in the logs, it’d still be funny.

What have I unleashed on an unsuspecting world? :eek:

I remember that! It’s amazing what All Things Considered reported back then. :eek:

It’s got Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane? (thinking) Still not enough to get me to watch it.