What does "Git R Done" mean?

Been seeing this on cars and stuff around here. I presume it could mean “git her done”, as in get something done, but is there a deeper meaning? Sexual? Where does it come from?

Anyone?

It’s the catchphrase of a comedian named “Larry the Cable Guy” (real name Dan Whitney). He plays a redneck character.

Oh, and what it means. :smack: It is ‘get her done,’ I guess, but it’s not sexual as far as I know. He says it a lot, and it’s adaptable to any purpose he wants to get done.

Oh, thanks! Never saw Larry the Cable Guy, but it all makes sense now.

Lucky you!

I’ve seen footage of Larry explaining its meaning as something along the lines of whatever you got to get done…get her done. As I understand it, Larry did not coin the phrase himself but has popularized it in recent years; it has long been a saying among hard working southerners who want to finish up there day of labors and relax or drink beer or whatever.

That’s what you think. He makes little sense at all.

This may illuminate - "AN OPEN LETTER TO LARRY THE CABLE GUY
"

John Travolta said it several times in the movie Carrie. So the phrase has been around since at least the 70s.

It means an asshole is talking.

It’s the catchphrase of a cynical yuppie that makes a living off of making the lowest common denominator laugh at themselves.

Oh how embarrasing to admit to being fluent in Crackerese. As David Allen Coe sings, “My long hair jest cain’t cover up my redneck”, and the more I work on my genealogy the deeper south it goes.

“Git R Done” is Larry The Cable Guy’s catchphrase in the same manner as “You Might Be A Redneck If” is Jeff Foxworthy’s, and “Here’s Your Sign” is Bill Engvall’s. It is slang for get it done, as in finish up whatever needs to be done. There is a sexist undertone from a good ol’ boy nudge nudge wink wink reference to getting “it” done, meaning grabbing a quick piece, (it becoming **her **) and then moving on to the real man stuff. (Like standing around telling lies and spitting.) Get it done/ Get her done/Git 'er done/Git R Done.

I remember both my grandaddies as well af my dad growling “Get 'r done” as they passed by me while I was working on a chore.

Having never heard of “Larry The Cable Guy” before (thank God some things just don’t travel!), I read this thread with interest and horror… then I went onto Wikipedia, and it got worse.

The first thing I noted was that this guy doesn’t seem to be doing anything that Jeff Foxworthy hasn’t already done.

Redneck jokes? Check.

Jokes about big Redneck family (All of whom are fat/loony/in prison/etc)? Check.

General “Good Ole’ Southern Boy” thing going? Check.

At least Jeff Foxworthy wasn’t overtly racist or deliberately ignorant in his act (at least, not as far as I’ve ever heard).

I see “Larry The Cable Guy” and Jeff Foxworthy are friends (which might explain some of the similarities)- but it also seems “Larry The Cable Guy” never turns off his Stage persona (at least when around anyone who’s not a close friend or business associate), which seems… odd, in a vaguely unsettling way.

I’m waiting for someone in Australia to start a career as a Tasmanian Comedian… :smiley:

Avoid the Blue Collar Comedy Tour at all costs. As funny as it can be, you’ll get tired of the catchphrases in a hurry. If I ever hear “Tater Salad” again I’m going to go nuts.

Gawd, I just read some of his crap an now I’m sorry I even gave him this much attention. What a racist piece of crap. Some of his lines genuinely made me wince.

:frowning:

Oh how embarrasing to admit to being fluent in Crackerese. As David Allen Coe sings, “My long hair jest cain’t cover up my redneck”, and the more I work on my genealogy the deeper south it goes.

“Git R Done” is Larry The Cable Guy’s catchphrase in the same manner as “You Might Be A Redneck If” is Jeff Foxworthy’s, and “Here’s Your Sign” is Bill Engvall’s. It is slang for get it done, as in finish up whatever needs to be done. There is a sexist undertone from a good ol’ boy nudge nudge wink wink reference to getting “it” done, meaning grabbing a quick piece, (it becoming **her **) and then moving on to the real man stuff. (Like standing around telling lies and spitting.) Get it done/ Get her done/Git 'er done/Git R Done.

I remember both my grandaddies as well af my dad growling “Get 'r done” as they passed by me while I was working on a chore.

Now see, I think if anything, Ron White is the best reason TO watch it. He’s hysterical. Larry’s the weak link-he’s all right in small doses, and he’s actually pretty funny when he’s with the other guys and they’re playing off of his dumb schtick, but he gets old very fast.

That was insightful. I have no idea who David Cross is, but he’s now my favorite comedian. (Is that what he is?)
Could we start a movement? THE CABLE GUY MUST DIE! (figuratively, of course.) Or at least, sent to live in the penniless squalor he claims as his own.

I had never heard of this guy until I saw the references here. I watched him one night on TV and was embarrased by the level of the humor. It reminded me of myself in fourth grade.

I seriously wonder why educated people are entertained by this guy.

Well, almost as embarrasing as posting that twice. :rolleyes:

While I “get” the humor in the Blue Coller Comedy movies (there are three of them now, I do not endorse the racist/sexist overtones. While I may come from a Cracker background, I always fought against the ignorance and hatred. Up until the recent past I was the black sheep in the family, so to speak. One of my brothers still gives me a difficult time because I married an Alaska Native, and had children with him.