What does your name mean?

During my senior year in high school, I came across a poem by Lawrence Ferlinghetti, that I really related to.

Here is an excerpt…
“‘I feel there is an angel in me’ she’d say
‘whom I am constantly shocking’”

Even at that point in my life…maybe I should say, especially at that point in my life, I realized that I struggled w/ the dichotomy of being both an angel and …well, you know what I’m saying.

So when it came to the point of creating a screen name…I created one that reminded me that I did indeed have an…

Angelnside

Who I constantly shock!!
I’m still trying to decide if I should post to the Spit or Swallow thread…and if I do…what do I admit to? :wink:

My name came from a six-year-old. My friend’s little brother proclaimed one day that his new name was “Fire Underpants Boobs” instead of Bradley. I must say, “FUB” is quite an improvement over “Bradley”.

When I clicked on this thread, I thought it was going to be about first/last names. I was all set to tell you all about my first name, so I will anyway. My name, Kerry, is a unisex name. I could only find it on the male side of my mom’s baby name book. It means dark-haired. Us Kerrys (Kerries?) are few and far between. The only other female Kerry I’ve come across is the name of the actress on that Jett Jackson show.

I’m named after the author of a rulebook for Whist. *Not *Poker, which hadn’t been invented yet!

Stella Fantasia is a classmate of Dolores “Lolita” Haze who gets one line in the novel by Nabokov:

“Adorable Stella, who has let strangers touch her.”

It seemed appropriate, & I like that it sounds a little bit outer spacey. “Stella Fantasia” sounds like she could be Ziggy Stardust’s girlfriend, you know?

My name, despite how cheesy and hax0rish it sounds (to me), actually has a history. Uh… You see, a djinn popped out of his bottle, and flew through my window at the wtiching hour of the thirteenth day of the thirteenth month of the thirteenth year after I was born. He was speaking uhh… Belgianese, and he told me (I speak Belgianese, so I understood) to call myself ‘Redukter’ on the SDMB. He then disappeared with Lucille in the firmament with a handful of small carbon stones.

Actually, I just thought of it on the fly. I gotta get a new name… I wanted to be called ‘Redukt’, because it has a nice, harsh, clanky sound, but I somehow slipped, and pressed ‘e’, ‘r’, and ‘submit’ at the same time. I was tired at the time…

Mistress Robin, honestly be glad that your name is spelled the way it is. My sisters name is spelled Robyn and is forever correcting people on spelling as is my brother Darren and myself Kristine.
Heck, none of our grandparents have ever spelled any of our names right, and we did it to our children also. Funny, the only one they spell right is the longest and hardest to spell. Aubreigh. Go figure!
Mistress Kerry, I went to school with a girl who spelled her name that way and I always thought is was so pretty like that.

As for my name(and I have to correct people from the c to the k all the time even with my nickname since I have been using it IRL before online) was given to me by a co-worker who was training me for his place in management.
When I asked him how I was doing he used a kung fu master voice (badly) and told me that I was not yet a grasshopper but a Kricket.
He proceeded to introduce me as Kricket and for the past 6 years or so that is what most people call me.
Depending on who asks depends on the story they get about my name.
While working the bar shift as a waitress I would get all sorts of drunk people in asking about my name and if it was really my name.
I would look offended and tell them that yes it was my given name and that I was born in the 70’s and had friends with names like Rainy and Sunshine. (truth about my friends)

I’ve been hit by lightning. Twice.

Also, if there’s static electricity to be found, I find it.

My name as I have mentioned a couple of times before is a comic book character, a member of the Legion of Substitute Heroes. Drura Sehpt of Planet Somatuhr, she has chalk white skin, purple hair and really cute lil’ giraffe antennae. I dig her.

It was my first username on Napster way back when and the number of random IM’ers who thought they were being cute when they said “Are you really infectious?” and things like that, gaaaaawd. :rolleyes:

One time someone asked me the origin of the name on there and when I grudgingly obliged yet again (sigh)he went “what? you still read comics and you’re 28? I haven’t read a comic since I was 9!” So I put him on ignore. Yeah way to insult a girl and her favourite hobby/interest, so you haven’t read a comic since you were 9 woopee-doo, go to the head of the class, collect £200 and do not pass go. Woweee blah blah blah. Then his friend IMed me to ask why I had put this guy on ignore. I told him your friend just insulted me and my interest! How stupid was he that he didn’t realise it?

That last anecdote didn’t have a whole lot of relevance to the origin of my name, but heck I just like to drag it out at the drop of a hat! That’s one of my very few genuine exciting anecdotes! (well maybe not.oh well)

Must be a Viking/Bears fan? Hope you don’t mind losing ;}

Packer fan, Jibby7.

BTW Jibby7-A derivative of my last name and my number.

Just my name…actually am thinking about changing it, but probebly won’t because people get pissed when that happens…

It’s a derivitive/nickname. My sisters use it, but not my dad. Some of my classmates use it, others use my full first name. My SO goes back and forth as the whim seizes him.
Made for Cyn, Sweeter than Cyn, Hotter than Cyn, I’ve heard them all since junior high.

I thought it meant cranky SOB. :wink:
Arden Ranger is a job title.

My Russian speaking next door neighbour has been calling me this for years. From her friendly tone and smile, I always thought it was an affectionate pet name rather like Liebchen is in German. I found out this year that it actually means bastard or something like that. It’s grown on me though because I always associate it with the way she says it. :wink:

me? oh, this is the username i have on neopets. it was inspired there by this guy named PantherPaws. i wish i’d thought of it first, but as it is, i picked a type of feline and a body part of that feline and there we go. btw, i luv cats. hence all this felinity. :slight_smile:

I’m from America, baby. Our names don’t mean shit.

But seriously, folks. My real name is Alex, but I have been given the nickname Cliff three times by three different people. It’s based on Cliff from Cheers because (in person, anyway) I typically have something to say on any topic of conversation. It ticked me off at first because while Cliff’s information was all bogus, mine is always correct. (Or at least based on reliable sources.) Also, the nickname that was starting to catch on before “Cliff” showed up was “Elvis,” which was cool. But over the last nine years I’ve gotten used to it. In fact, there are people from college I still keep in touch with that refer to me exclusively as…

–Cliffy

Late one night in 1980, my senior year in college, I was baked and wrote a bizarre science fiction/fantasy story. When it came to signing it, suddenly in a blinding flash of inspiration I knew what to call myself: Jomo Mojo. That’s it! Yes!

I was real into all things African. Jomo Kenyatta, the hero of Kenyan independence in East Africa (means Burning Spear in the Kikuyu language), and mojo, a word from West Africa that came to America (meaning magic in the Fula language). Also, I took the first two letters from my first name, and added the first two letters from my last name (which are also the first two letters in my mom’s maiden name), and then switched 'em around. Perfect!

Mine can be found in any encyclopedia or web-search :wink: . It’s a natural for a history geek, but I’ve also always found it strangely euphonius. In addition when I was young it had an oddly compelling “mystery of the Orient” appeal to me( another possibility would have been “Prester John”, which I’ve used on rare occasions elsewhere ).

Plus it suits my vicious, take-no-prisoners posting style :smiley: .

• Tamerlane

My SN is my sexual proclivity and a running tally.

[sub]or a book character. whichever.[/sub]

I am a collector of just about anything. Consiquently my house frequently resembles a junkyard. I heard the term “junkyard angel” in an old song, and i thought it just fit me. "Cause I’m an angel.:wink:

I was born and raised in Archie Bunker’s neighborhood- Astoria, Queens (New York).

I’ve tried telling my wife to “stifle yerself, and get me anudder beer, dere,” but so far, she hasn’t listened.