What does your name mean?

Well, on another forum, I had once remarked how I had the “leadership abilities of a small cantaloupe.” This became sort of catchphrase, even ending up on “You have made a new post” screen, and when coming here, and finding my regular nick was taken (probably by my earlier attempt of registering), I took this. ‘Kantalooppi’ is sort of Finlandized spelling of the word ‘cantaloupe’.

erm, close, but peas, not beans, similar to snowpeas or sugar snaps

Nothing too farfetched–I was born in the month of May and I liked Mayflower better than Mayfly! :smiley:

From the Orson Scott Card book Ender’s Shadow, which stars a character named Bean.

because underneath my youthful, sunny, pollyannish exterior, there lurks a cantankerous ornery fusty geezer.

Jophiel is a Hebrew name meaning “Beauty of God”. It is, supposively, the name of the cherub who drove Adam and Eve from the Garden in Genesis. Not that he’s named as such in the Bible, but other sources have him being so.

Anyway, ole Jophiel is also in most of the lists of archangels. I’ve been interested in angeology as a hobby for quite a while and when I started on IRC, I wanted a nickname reflecting my hobby. The obvious things such as Seraph, Seraphim, Michael, Uriel, etc were all either taken or would result in bitter people demanding their name back. So I picked Jophiel who was an archangel but obscure enough that I didn’t have to fight for it. It worked for me and I used it here. Prior to my IRC days, I used various names on BBSs, but they were all rather trite things like Phoenix and Firefly and my chance of using them on IRC was nil :slight_smile:

imthjckaz is an old Yaqui indian name, meaning hung, humble, handsome one.

:smiley:

I was in high school, and I had to make one of my classes a study session because I was taking more than one AP course. Usually, I did homework in this class, but one time there really wasn’t much to do besides study for some quizzes on trees and plants that I would have to take sooner or later. So, I flipped open a taxonomy book on trees and started looking through it. I found the name Salix, the genus name of the willow tree, and thought it looked pretty cool, so I decided it would make a good user name for the Internet.

Sometimes I go by the name Zeoc, but that’s just a random name I chose a few years ago. I was playing Hexen 2 and the death messages always identified me as Player, and that kind of spoiled the atmosphere, so I just thought up the name Zeoc really quickly and used it as my alias. I usually just go by the name Salix now, though.

Kiz = shortened form of Kizzy = nickname for Keziah, an Old Testament phophetess. Keziah and Kizzy were considered “slave names” – in Alex Haley’s Roots, Kizzy is the name of Kunta Kinte’s sister.

However, I did not realize any of this when I first went online. Another forum I belong to asked for a screen name, and for some reason “Kiz” popped into my mind, if only because it begins with the same letter as my RL name. Imagine my surprise when all this was gently pointed out to me by a RL Kizzy, who also got a kick out of my screen name because I’m white! :eek:

I’ve debated about changing it, but I’ve been Kiz for so long that I feel as though I’d have to create a whole new identity if I changed it…thinking of a new name alone would send me into a Kizzy Tizzy!

I felt like a disappearing lake when I first went into a chat-room. Don’t ask me why :slight_smile:

I chose mine because basically, it’s what I am. Not so silky, either, if you ask any of my friends and/or enemies.

But I first read it in some mystery novel (which must not have been all that great, because I’ll be damned if I can remember which one) as this:

“Her voice belied a silky threat…”

Hence, my username was born.

Why? Because of your name or because of the chat room atmosphere?

My name, Czarcasm, is Eskimo for “Getting drunk and holding an online contest to let the Teeming Minions pick you a new name was not one of my better ideas.” :slight_smile:

I thought it meant Supreme Ruler of Sarcasm.

That’s why I voted for it!

My name is a tribute to the age old tradition of ripping the breastbone out of a dead turkey carcass and tugging on it until it breaks. I feel that the tradition is particularily vulgar in nature yet at the same time a bit comical.

My name comes from my afternoon job. I work in a small zoo/ large animal talent agency, where I am in charge of the Mammal room. It’s a lot better than my morning persona “TelemarketerGirl”!
By the way, I made the mistake of looking up my last name-it means “a lump of fat”. Some things are better left unknown!

Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss

I am Osiris. I was given that name in a dream my father had the night before I was born.

I used to be Jinxie but Jinx’s return spoiled that. Before that I was Brother Rat from Dumbo but it wasn’t condusive to posting in my opinion. So I am Osiris.

Aww Man, I need a new user name. Got pissed off trying to get a user name that works on Yahoo! Finally said “go fish” but that was taken g0fish was taken, gogofish was taken… g00g00fish worked.

Understood (sorry for the sarcasm). But think of the fun you could have had in seeing their faces when you showed up to your first den meeting. :slight_smile: