What I learned Today

Today, I learned that the heirs of the Beat Generation are presently starring in “reality TV” shows and that the most pressing issues facing African-Americans are how many times they can use the n-word and where the cheapest place to buy knock-off Jordan’s is.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, all this learnin’ has not only given me a headache, but also filled my head with the sound of Ford Prefect saying, “Two million years, mankind. That’s all you’ve got.” so I think I’m going to mix myself a nice stiff drink.

I’m tempted to say “someone needs a hu-uuuug!!!” but that would be a bit too MPSIMS-ish, wouldn’t it?

Tuckerfan, what brought this on?

Ever hear that Lewis Black rant about how anuerisms are caused because you hear something stupid and if you don’t tell anyone about it, your brain will keep working on it, trying to make sense of it (which is impossible), until you blow a gasket? Well, I’m a firm believer in that, and when I heard two former students of Allen Ginsburg say the bit about the Beats on NPR today, I realized I was in danger of blowing a gasket unless I inflicted this on someone else.

The other was inspired by the activities of my cow-irkers this evening.

Yeah - isn’t that the bit where he overhears “I’d have never made it through college if it wasn’t for my horse?”

OK - just a random offload, then.

Yup and yup.

I learned that rubbing the Buddha statue on my desk doesn’t get the CEO out of my office any faster.

I’ve learned that almost any ‘emergency’ at work becomes a none issue and goes away without taking any appreciable action if you just give it a day or two.

Actually, I’ve known this for quite some time now, I just like confirming it to myself on a regular basis.