These threads always make me incredibly sad and angry and uncomfortable, and I don’t know why. I was told by someone recently that I have issues with men, presumably because of my childhood, but I have never felt that I really do. I have issues with men + sex, but that’s a totally different thing, isn’t it? I even write books from the perspective of guys… admittedly very flawed guys… but I feel like those men are reflections of myself. I feel they are more authentically me than any woman could ever be.
So I don’t understand why I get so pissed off by these conversations, and I’m trying to understand.
I think the idea that we’re living in a woman’s world is utter bullshit. But I have to believe that anyone who honestly believes that women have an overall unfair advantage in this society is so far beyond reason there is no point in even trying to express disagreement. Besides, I think the ‘‘my gender is worse off than your gender’’ pissing contest is really immature. I don’t care what the answer really is–I just want people to start getting along for fuck’s sake, because that’s my womanly nature. :rolleyes:
I feel like whenever people come on The Dope bitching about how frustrating women are, I want to punch someone in the face. I don’t understand… what standard of perfection am I supposed to actually achieve to be considered an acceptable relationship partner? What are the guidelines? What flaws am I allowed or not allowed to have? Which of those flaws are ‘‘woman flaws’’ and which of them are just my actual personality?
It would never occur to me to come onto a web forum bitching about ‘‘men.’’ I can see bitching about ‘‘my husband’’ (unlikely, since he’s rather saint-like), or ‘that asshole at the 7-11’’ but I don’t grasp the concept that there is some certain way that all men behave, that there are universal flaws inherent in being male.
Are there people out there that seriously believe that is true for females? That there’s some essence of woman-ness that can be readily identified? Because I strongly suspect that the same behavior in a male would not be seen the same way. I think people just look at the outside package and make assumptions about the motivations and ideas of that person based on their gender identity. And I think that’s fucking bullshit.
And I think that men and women both do this. I think we’re both fucked. Look at the media for chrissake. It lives to drive a wedge between us. As long as we continue to accept and perpetuate the lie that there is some fundamental difference between us (other than, you know, boobies), we are both going to continue to be fucked.
IMfreakin’HO.
