what is the deal with Snuggies?

For those who don’t know what one is, click here.

Basically, it’s a blanket with sleeves. You wear it like a hospital gown.

Like nearly everybody I know, my first thought when I saw the ads for these was “That’s not a blanket with sleeves. That’s a crappy robe!”

And it seems lots of other people think it’s a completely ridiculous product. And yet, it seems to be selling very very well.

So now, my contrarian worm has turned and I want to know : are we snarky people missing something? Is there something magical and wonderful about these things that we’re not getting?

Is there a sense in which it’s not a great big robe?

Is there some practical advantage to wearing it instead of, say, a sweater?

I really want to know. My mind is completely open. What are we missing?

Do any of you Teemings have one of these? Do you like it? Etc.

I’m always in strong support of anything that makes like more comfortable!

I don’t know the answer to your question, but I just read an article online (maybe Washington Post?) that the reason they are being advertised so much during prime time is that ad prices have dropped steeply in the past few months.

Well, it’s obviously different from a robe or a sweater in that you slip it on from the front. This is quite handy for people who can’t stand up, or for some reason don’t want to.

It doesn’t look that much different than a blanket with sleeves. I didn’t think it really was anything like a robe. It’s much longer, and the sleeves are bigger. I don’t have one of these, and don’t really want to pay that much for one, but If I got one as a gift, I wouldn’t mind having it.

Another name I’ve seen for these sounds vaguely dirty - slanket.

Presumably a combination of sleeves and blanket.

They look like an unholy union of an acolyte’s robe and a hospital gown.

When I was in high school, my mom bought herself, my sister, and me each a comforter that had zippers on it, so you could make a kind of sack out of it. The bottom was open so you could walk, and it let you stick your hands out so you could hold things and such. Reasonably practical when frugal parents turned the heat down, but I believe it ended up coming to college with me and functioning as a bedspread. Let’s face it, it was pretty dorky looking. Anyway, this idea isn’t new. I suspect all the ads are, as has already been said, because advertising is cheap and available right now - and they figure people looking to save money by cutting their heating bill might find it acceptable to drop thirty bucks a person to keep everyone comfortable/reduce the whining from the peanut gallery.

Me, I’ve gone native enough to be a good Norskie and wear my woolen undies and lusekofte.

Too bad they don’t come in Jedi Brown.

This is exactly why this stuff sells like hotcakes. Most of the products you see advertised by Messrs. Mays, Offer et al. appeal to the person who is (or is trying to be) thrifty.

My mother has a Snuggie and she loves it. She’s often chilly, so it’s good that she has something to wrap herself up in. Unfortunately, it’s longer than she is, so she had a friend tailor it to fit so she can’t trip over it if she has to get up.

If the choice is between saving a few bucks on the heating bill and concern over looking like a dork at home in private, I’ll take looking like a dork.

Robin

Have you seen the ad? It’s not so much the product that gets me, but the price. It’s a fleece blanket. Oh, with sleeves. Because you can’t do a damn thing without sleeves, you know.

The parody is quite apt about how I feel about their product. I just got two delightfully comfortable fleece blankets, in black, from WalMart for $3 each last weekend. They are quite warm, and while I’m sure the Snuggie does its job well, I don’t like the idea that “the frustration of not having sleeves!” is worth the outrageous price.

I don’t know what thrifty-minded person would actually consider buying these.

Do they come with Kool-Aid, because they look very cult-like.
The only thing they could have done creepier in that commercial is show off the 5 vibrant colors through a color coordinated group of Snuggie-clad dancers recreating that Landis music video, ‘Thriller…!’.

*"It’s close to midnight and something evil’s lurking in the dark
Under the moonlight, you see a sight that almost stops your heart
You try to scream, but terror takes the sound before you make it
You start to freeze as horror looks you right between the eyes
You’re paralyzed

'Cause this is Snuggie! Snuggie night
And no one’s gonna save you from the cult about strike
You know it’s Snuggie! Snuggie night
You’re fighting for your life inside a Snuggie, Snuggie tonight…!*

That’s what my mom said. She finds these things inexpressibly hilarious because they look like something you might put on right before you drink poison to send your soul on a comet ride. There’s something about the look of the people in the ad that makes this worse, they’re just too content. If you were in a more charitable mood I guess you could say they look like something worn by the Polyphonic Spree.

Personally, I don’t get it, at all. It is a giant backwards robe, and the reason I don’t own a robe is because it’s too much loose fabric to be hauling around on my body. If I’m up and moving around, I want to be able to move around freely. Pajamas or sweats are just as warm as a robe, and much more comfortable for puttering. If I’m on the couch, I want to curl up in a blanket. And NOT a fleece blanket, because I hate fleece with a firey passion. I hate the way it feels, and it pills, sticks to everything, and attracts cat hair like a giant cat hair attracting thing. I lovelovelove my silky down blankets that I keep in the living room expressly for the purpose of cocooning. They’re warm, they feel nice against my skin, they’re pretty, and maybe I’m unusual, but I’ve never found that pulling my hands out to change the channel is all that burdensome.

I too think that they look like some sort of evil wizards robe. Every time that commerical comes on I look at the TV and say “Hail Satan!”

Don’t tell my SO, but 'm actually thinking of getting her one. She tends to be cold sitting in the living room while everyone else is comfprtable. She can watch her Sex in the City or SDMB and then just toss it off to the side when she gets up.

A bit pricey, but they are doing the standard buy one, get one free promo. Just pay the extra shipping. Not that the extra shipping isn’t pure profit, just sayin.

I like the idea. I hang out on the couch with a heated throw over me, and my shoulder and arms out to quilt. My shoulders, arms, neck and top of my back get cold and this is wear the Snuggie thing would come in handy. I don’t wear a robe or sweater when moving around the house but when I settle on the couch the throw just doesn’t cover everywhere.

The thing is, it’s like a robe, but less convenient. I can’t imagine getting up and going to the bathroom in it.

Count me as a “wouldn’t buy it, but would use and enjoy it.” I generally get cold if I am just sitting reading, so I would keep it on the couch. My decorating theme is “eclectic function” though, so it wouldn’t bother me :slight_smile:

I don’t think she paid that much for it. It’s just a good thing for her because she’s disabled, so a blanket that ends up on the floor is a safety hazard, plus she can’t easily bend over to pick it up. So the sleeves are a good thing because it keeps the blanket off the floor and on her body.

I can’t see buying one for myself, but I can see it being good for elderly or disabled people for whom a regular blanket is unworkable.

Robin

The first time I saw this commercial, which implies that Snuggies are the greatest work of genius since the telephone, I looked at it blankly for a while before turning to my friend and saying “It is just a backwards bathrobe, right?” It’s kind of neat, but I really don’t see what the big deal is.