What is your absolute favorite movie of all time?

Lots of favorites, but on reading the thread title the first one I thought of is Paul.

Godzilla 1954, followed by Rocketship X-M

Don’t think I’ve seen anyone yet mention my favorite - Snatch.

Re: Nobody’s Fool - I suspect I woulda liked the movie more if I hadn’t already so enjoyed the novel. Richard Russo’s early novels are among my all time faves. It is rare indeed for any movie to live up to a novel I love. Newman is great, but definitely prettier than the Sully I imagined.

Number One Tip-Top Choice
After Hours

With some runners-up
Apocalypse Now
Blade Runner
Dr. Strangelove
The Blues Brothers
This Is Spinal Tap
The Big Lebowski
Lost Highway
Naked Lunch
Shadow of a Doubt
Strangers on a Train
Pulp Fiction
Stop Making Sense

Some foreign notables
The Wages of Fear
Last Year at Marienbad
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Alphaville
Persona
Stalker
The Exterminating Angel
Amarcord

Interesting. This is my second favorite film. I presume that you mean this one:

After Hours (1985, U.S., dir. Martin Scorsese)

For more than a year, ominous rumors have been privately circulating among high level western leaders, that the Soviet Union had been at work on what was darkly hinted to be the ultimate weapon, a doomsday device. Intelligence sources traced the site of the top secret Russian project to the perpetually fog shrouded wasteland below the arctic peaks of the Zokov islands. What they were building, or why it should be located in a such a remote and desolate place, no one could say.

Yes indeed!

And I’m hoping to get a plaster of paris bagel and cream cheese paperweight for my birthday later this year.

When thinking of movies that are not in English, it’s Babette’s Feast.

Another favorite of mine is The Pianist (2002, directed by Roman Polanski). Tough to watch at times (heavy rather than light entertainment), but the acting, the changes we’re shown gradually and the exhilarating music at the end make this film a particularly satisfying ride.

My Name Is Nobody(1973), starring Terrence Hill and Henry Fonda, with music by Ennio Morricone.
Nobody is faster than Jack Beauregard, and Nobody respects him more. Damn fun movie.

nitpick: it’s Zhokhov Island

What I find most interesting about this thread is, not the number of listed films that I quite enjoyed, but the number of folk whose favorite film is one I saw and was not impressed by. Just a wonderful example of different tastes.

Galaxy Quest - I could perform the entire film, but if it happens to be on tv, I will watch it. Again.

That one’s been in my top ten for half a century

I love the movie. Thanks for this recommendation. I just started the novella based on your recommendation. Thank you.

(Redundant post due to lapse in memory)

I watched Fantasia at least seven times.
Silent Running is my favorite SF movie.
The Prestige is at the top of my list
The Lord of the Rings Is my favorite fantasy movie.

The Car. Unnoticed due to the timing of Star Wars & Jaws. ( I know, it was a little ‘campy’ but that was part of the fun the director wanted)…
But if you are a car guy, and appreciate the incredible talents of the film editor, sound editor & CAMERA DIRECTOR, the cute movie was a work of cinema art!!

Another favorite: The Truman Show (1998, directed by Peter Weir). Among other things I like, I think Laura Linney gave an outstanding performance as Truman’s wife.

Great choice. The Pianist’s true-to-life feel was astonishing – from the dialogue and costumes to the street scenes. It really felt like you had been placed in the middle of World War II. (Apparently some of the filming took place in an old Soviet Army barracks in Warsaw.)

My favorite film is the inimitable Repo Man (1984).