What is your absolute favorite movie of all time?

One flew over the Cukoo’s Nest. Prime Jack!

My favorite movie is “Team America, World Police”.

This was a film from 2004 that was made by the creaters of the “SouthPark” animated cable TV series.

Yes, but, The Princess Bride is also very quotable.

Wow, what a great thread. Lots of good ones here. I visited every post and came up with 3 lists:

A) Movies not named in this thread (IIRC) but are ones that I like — you know how when you read a list of movies, you start thinking of others that you like?

B) Movies named in this thread that I haven’t seen but probably should

C) Movies named in this thread that I really like

So here we go…

A) Movies not named in this thread (IIRC) but are ones that I like

The Dish
Rambo First Blood
Rocky
The Firm
The Rainmaker
Rat Race
Office Space
Crazy Rich Asians
Vertigo

B) Movies named in this thread that I haven’t seen but probably should

Twelve Monkeys
Dog Day Afternoon
Casablanca
The Muppet Movie (as a teenager, The Muppet Show was a favorite, so I figure this will be good)
And you know what? I’ve never seen any Money Python movies. Any. Ever. I probably should.

C) Movies named in this thread that I really like

The Right Stuff
Contact
Apollo 13
Unforgiven
Inglourious Basterds
King Kong (2005)
Jaws
The Princess Bride
Ordinary People
Shawshank Redemption
Lawrence of Arabia
The Godfather
The Last Samurai
The Sound of Music
The Martian
Silence of the Lambs
Back to the Future
Star Wars (1977)
A League of Their Own
A Few Good Men
The Sting
Witness
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Jurassic Park
The Wizard of Oz
Pulp Fiction
The Hunt for Red October
Raiders of the Lost Ark

As I said, this is quite a good thread. I’m enjoying it.

For me it’s gotta be Casablanca, followed very, very closely by Galaxy Quest.

Quite a bit earlier in this thread I said I couldn’t choose. But now, seeing the previous response, I’ll say that since I want to give a response that follows the title, I will say Casablanca.

But Galaxy Quest, although a very different film, I also love, and will stop to watch if I see it’s on.

A Man for All Seasons
The Godfather
The African Queen
Godzillla(the Japanese film, not the one with the roundeye reporter)
Henry V( Branagh or Olivier)
The Sting

Wall Street (1987)

Basic Instinct (1992)
Fatal Attraction (1987)
Unfaithful (2002)

Somehow, I missed this thread the first time around.

For me, it’s The Empire Strikes Back. The very best film of my all-time favorite series.

The movie used a ton of narration directly from the book. You can hear Morgan Freeman’s voice in your head when reading the novella. Both good. I don’t think I can pick one absolute favorite but Shawshank is one of the candidates.

Amelie

Wall-e

Dances with Wolves

Another one I really like, and will watch again if I see it’s on is Nobody’s Fool. Paul Newman (nominated for an Oscar) as an over-the-hill contractor living in a house with an old woman (Jessica Tandy). His best friend and helper is a simple man (Pruitt Taylor), his arch enemy is Bruce Willis, and the local bumbling cop is played by Philip Seymour Hoffman. It also has Melanie Griffith doing a decent acting job. It’s a very human story of a man with regrets and a past and his present relationships with his son and grandkids.

Happy Birthday, Bullitt!

It’s good that you Dopers are mentioning multiple films.

My absolute favorite is The Godfather.

One that I like a lot and hasn’t been mentioned is What’s Eating Gilbert Grape? I’ve seen it four or five times and I still find it very entertaining and well made.

I’ve seen The Godfather a lot more, to the extent that I don’t want to see it for a while.

I really like that movie a lot. Haven’t seen it in a while, but I remember finding it funny, charming, and very human when I originally saw it in the theater.

That’s another one high on my list. Just well made with skilled actors. The reason Redford/Newman poll also brought to mind The Verdict, another incredibly good movie, and the one that should have been the Oscar winner for Newman.

Why do you call him “Whacker?” :laughing:

Overall favorite: The Godfather Amazing characters portrayed by great actors, lots of snappy, quotable dialog (“Keep the canoli”) and nice music.

Favorite Sci-Fi The Empire Strikes Back The best battle scene, the best alien (Yoda)

Favorite Martial Arts The House of Flying Daggers Trippy, intensely colored fight scenes

Favorite Spy/Action The Bourne Identity Great fight scenes, clever plot

Favorite Comedy Caddyshack The clashes between brash nouveau riche Rodney Dangerfield and conservative Ted Knight are legendary.