What makes a curry/kebab compelling eating after a night out?

it’s not the grog, a hamburger will do when you have a skinfull. It’s the rugby. After such bland, boring fare you want something interesting.

I think I’ve read accounts of people from centuries past having cheddar and mustard after a night of boisterous camaraderie. I think also, cold roast beef could be consumed, since it was often readily available. (With either mustard or horseradish, perhaps?)

Unfortunately most folk around these parts would opt for a Wendys cheesburger, or a doughnut and coffee at Tim Hortons.

Personally I think eating spoils the buzz.

Kebab in this sense usually refers to doner kebab - the great big hunk of reformed lamb where bits are shaved off and served in pitta bread with salad and chilli sauce. You can usually get a shish kebab but you have to wait for those to be cooked. Haven’t visited one of these places since I was an undergrad, but they were usually run by Turkish Cypriots (though that may just be the area I was living in).

Doner kebab. (Mmmmm…) Is this what you mean when you say “a curry”? Can you give more details as to what is generally meant, or is it more like “a sandwich” where the basic concept has similarities, but personal preferances change things?

Ah. Shwarma.

Personally, I find that when I’ve been drinking for a few hours, my sense of taste is greatly dimished, so if I get hungry, I was something super tasty. I always thought that was why highly spiced food was so popular late at night?

Yeah, that covers it, pretty much. Curry is the generic name for the “main” dish, the sides (dal, sag aloo etc) don’t count as curry. You couldn’t go into a curry house and order a curry - you’d need to be more specific. Usually you order {chicken/lamb/king prawn/vegetable/paneer}+ curry type {madras/jalfrezi/dhansak/korma etc}
However, a school canteen might serve up “chicken curry” with no further explanation.

Next time I go to my local, it’s going to be chicken zal kamla, which I’ve not seen anywhere else. Still “a curry” though

Quite correct Sir Doris

Our Saturday evening ritual seldom, if ever, varies.

Pints of falling down water and the odd shot of vodka by neccessity followed by…

Poppadums and pickles (various)
Chicken Rogan (medium to hot)
Pilau Rice or in Daves case, chips…he’s a pleb
Naan bread and/or Chappattis
Irish coffee

Back in the day, most UK pubs kicked you out at 11:15PM so the logical place to assemble was the local curry house that could still sell beer until 2PM.

That is literally how and why I was introduced to indian food.

Just had one yesterday from one of the few places here in Maryland.

A late fictional datapoint from Ulysses: after their night out on the piss, Leopold Bloom and Stephen Dedalus roll up at a cabman’s shelter in the small hours of June 17th 1904 for a coffee and a bun. They then have some hot cups of Epp’s-brand cocoa back at Eccles Street.

Heh - next time you’re out on the lash, sorry – * at a Dopefest* – try proposing going for a bun after the pub :dubious:

And… for you Americans, doner kebabs are pretty similar to the standard Greek Gyro, but the meat’s spiced a little differently, and you don’t necessarily end up with tzatziki sauce on it; most kebab shops have multiple sauces.

There is something wonderful about a huge honkin’ kebab after a night drinking, but nothing that can’t be just as well equaled by a few tacos al pastor or fajita tacos with extra hot salsa and/or pickled jalapenos, pico de gallo and guacamole.

Seems to me the factual information available on the question asked in the OP has been exhausted. Perhaps the thread can find some further nourishment and sober up a bit over in Cafe Society.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

I read doner kebab first at “donner kebab”. :eek:

Around here in Philadelphia, a cheesesteak fills that need very nicely. Fat, salt, protein, grease? A cheesesteak has 'em all. In spades.

Now I want one. Though I’m not drunk.
I think I know what lunch will be. . .

Ah, the closing time curry in which all the guys try to out-macho each other by eating the hottest curry on the menu. Phallic posturing. :smiley:

Ahh, yes. A donair or gyros as they are known here. Yummy. (It’s pretty much interchangable here, at least that I’ve seen, just different sauces though some offer both tzatziki and sweet sauce).

At the end of a night out, I usually get a bratwurst or pizza at the stands/little shops that are often situated right along the road or just outside the exit of the clubs.

Next morning though, I go for strong coffee and grease (usually a large coffee and McDonald’s hashbrowns, or if I’m in some bacon and eggs).

Mmm coffee and grease.

OK, here are some basic drunk food ground rules, based on what we’ve seen so far.

1) It has to be hand-edible, because we’re wasted and lack coordination. Stuff that requires forks is annoying, and stuff that requires knives is probably dangerous.

2) It needs to provide some kind of sensory overload, because we’re numbed and dulled with booze. Either scorchingly spicy (buffalo wings, curry), blisteringly hot (pizza), or both (burritos).

3) It needs to be absolutely terrible for you, because, well, just because. It should exceed your daily allowance of fat and sodium all by itself.

Ok, a kebab in Britain is a gyro here in the United States. What do you call food on a skewer (US shish kebab)?

Diner or greasy fast food would be my choice while still on a night out, or even the next morning. Fries (aka chips), hash browns, buttered toast…

Ah, now, with great imagination, we call it shish kebab. :slight_smile: And, anyway, wouldn’t “shish” be just the perfect word to have to pronounce when alcoholic drink has been taken? Absolutely just made for such times. :slight_smile:

Haha, there is (or was) a little Turkish-type takeaway shop beside Queen Street train station in Glasgow whose bill of fare caused amusement to me whenever my 'bus was stopped just outside it, by offering “Donner Kebab”. No, I don’t know whether to put this down to immigrant people being not too fussed abut the possible problem there, or a potential for real cannibalism, or, (the most fun idea) that the shop owners were secretly having a laugh at their customers all the time. Yes, I suppose in order to fight my own ignorance, I ought to have gone in and bought a “Donner” kebab, but I just didn’t. Sorry. (btw I’m voting for the third choice there, I think. I suspect that people might wander in just to be superior about “Donner” and then stay to buy stuff, therefore, more customers. Very clever.) :smiley:

That cheesesteak thing sounds ideal - as in exactly the sort of thing everybody would avoid eating mostly, on grounds of health, etc., but I bet it’s perfect for some occasions, all that cholesterol and salt and fat and oh, my … hungry now.