Relaxed
More interested in people than things
Brown eyes
Curves

Bad:
Smoker
Single mom of four by three different men
Quick-tempered and prone to violence

I think MOST women are attractive if they feel they are…it’s not what makes them attractive as much as what makes them NOT attractive.

You can envision your idea of the perfect woman…eyes, hair, smile, body, brains, personality etc…

and add just one unacceptable BAD trait or characteristic, (Let’s say bad breath or BO, I mean really nasty or maybe she’s just rude as hell) that’s it, it’s done, over with. She’s NOT attractive anymore.

You can be totally attracted, infatuated in fact w/ a person, then you start getting to know them…not good usually. I like most women, okay, age, race, no matter. If they try to look nice and present themselves well. There’s just too many elements when it come to WHAT specifically… etc.

for instance a woman can smoke, fine but not a chain smoker!
" " " drink stumbling drunk
think she’s attractive stuck on herself

Jeez, have I given this too much thought. Here goes - there are three things that make a woman (and I suppose a man, but as a het male, I can’t comment nearly as much) attractive. In no particular order:

• basic physical gifts - if you have cheekbones for days, that will stay will you forever. Look at women like Lena Horne or Sophia Loren - you either have it or you don’t.

• Youth - I don’t know how many times I find myself looking at a woman and realizing that what I am really looking at is her youth - she is young, attractive but not classically beautiful and, frankly, she won’t age well, but most importantly, she is oblivious to the burden life will put on her and therefore she is living in the moment.

• Attitude/Self confidence/Belief - regardless of age and appearance, a woman who carries herself in a way that is attractive is attractive. If anything, a woman who is not a bombshell who carries herself well is that much more attractive - what does she know about herself that I am not seeing?

When I am people watching, I will look at women and try to figure out, for the women I find attractive, what ratio of classic beauty, youth, and belief in theirselves I am responding to…

theirselves!!! Okay, the alcohol has clearly taken hold. Let’s try themselves, shall we?

Must:

Smile often.
Like cats.
Be independant.
Enjoy reading. (Not anything in particular, but I’ve noticed that people who actually read by choice are just generally more intelligent and interesting to be around.
Have a fun sense of fashion . . .
. . . But not be afraid to go to the grocery store in her pyjamas on the morning after. :smiley:
Not be anal-retentive.
Does not need a coarse and/or sarcastic sense of humour but must be able to appreciate mine.
A little makeup, or once in a while = okay.
A lot of makeup, every time she sets foot outside her door = no way.

Must have at least a passing interest in: dancing, various areas of sci-fi/fantasy culture, anime. Bonus: history and philosophy.

Hi there. This may be my first post, but I assure you that I can both speak and hold my piece simultaneously. :wink:

This question is deceptively tough to answer. I mean, I could give you a laundry list of physical characteristics that comprise my “dream girl,” except there is no one standard by which to measure her. Different women manage to pull off different looks with equally mind numbing effects.

So… what else? Well, there’s more to a woman than how she looks. For my part, I like a woman who will take the initiative to actually start a conversation. I have no idea how to begin a conversation with strangers… guess those lessons they taught me as a kid stuck a little too well. :stuck_out_tongue: I also appreciate a compatable sense of humor, someone who shares my interests, and someone who has a compassionate and understanding heart… sadly, that combination is rather tough (i.e. impossible) to find.

Well, having been completely unsuccessful - not so much as a kiss - I can speak from blissful ignorance. As long as she has most or all the bits in all the right places and in moderately correct proportions, looks are very much secondary It’s the personality that counts: I find a woman who is at least moderately intelligent and kind and gentle and well-mannered most attractive. If this is you and you are single and looking you should contact me immediately!

BTW according to an online census search, there is exactly one person in the UK with my name.

More intelligent than I, but not condescending (and thinks I’m intelligent).
Nice to everybody, except for total jerks/morons.
Abnormal, SubGenius-esque attitude toward life; wickedly funny.
Likes the Straight Dope, the Onion, and good books.
Has a unique sense of fashion, but not tacky.
Good spelling. (Now watch me make an inadvertent error in this post, just because the universe likes making me look like an idiot…)
Thinks I’m the sexiest man to ever have walked the planet, but isn’t afraid to try and improve me.
Likes bizarre yet bitchen music and art.
Doesn’t have to put out on command (that’s what hands are for), but should be honest and candid about sexual matters.
Doesn’t drink, smoke, or do drugs.
Not really into cosmetics, and doesn’t really care if she looks somewhat disheveled.
Devoutly irreligious.
Lots of energy, sort of a spazz.
Likes children and animals.

Devastatingly gorgeous, which is hard to describe, but I know it when I see it. Characteristics include the following:
Gorgeous eyes that set fire to my heart every time I see them.
Straight to wavy hair; dark is usually preferable.
Nice neck. I can’t really explain this one.
Nice (and clean) hands and feet.
Doesn’t shave body hair (but it doesn’t make her look like a man).
Body shape anywhere from slim yet athletic-looking to pleasantly zaftig.
Smells nice.
Does a really sexy studious facial expression when reading.
Mammary glands don’t have to be large, but I like to know they’re there. Same with the posterior.
Cute facial expressions… can’t really figure out a way to explain this one either.

I like big butts.

[long ramble]
Well, seeing the criteria of my fellow-men, I’m reminded of the other thread on ‘Are my dating criteria unreasonable’. I guess these are only intended to be ideal criteria, not deal-breakers. Come to think of it, the thread is about what makes a woman attractive, not whom you’d date.

Still I find there to be a difference in women you like to look at and women you like to actually date/live with. Wait, that sounds as if these categories are mutually exclusive. Let me rephrase that. I find some women really pretty, but in a way that I do not actually want to be close with. Call me presumpuous or biased, but I’ve noticed that a lot of those really pretty girls are too much into a certain crowd that I do not appreciate: the party scene. As a result their conversation is skewed to subjects I’m not interested in and cannot hold my own in. (yes, there may be some grudge in here, though I hope not) Even if they are really intelligent and well-read and have nice personalities, in the long run there is a certain shallowness in their approach of what we may call the deeper questions of life. While they may show an occasional interest in thinking about such subjects, their attention is too fleetingly directed to this to hold their own here. A couple of friends of mine have similar experiences. To be fair, I hasten to add that there are quite a number of men who are probably the same.

Of course the above is a huge generalization; I do not mean to say that all physically attractive and intelligent women/girls are like this. I’ve met and/or been involved with some. Those women had a further thoughtfullness that I appreciated and that probably allowed them to find me attractive. :slight_smile:

Basically it’s the same as iampunha said, though he said it much more concise.
[/long ramble]

This being said, I’m quite sure I do not agree with the kind of criteria I’ve seen. But lets see.

For physical characteristics I like to see what most men like, but in fact legs/breasts/face are not in itself so important. What is attractive and important is that a woman is comfortable with her body. What furthermore does make a woman physically attractive to me is the perception of a keen intelligence within the body. This may actually be the same confidence thingy that women like in men (see other thread). A lot of that is a certain facial expression, an active interest in the world around her. Nothing is so unattractive as a limited interest.

• That said, I do like a woman who does eat a decent dinner on a date, but I do not like for her to overeat.
  • I like for her to have something of a waist (i.e. not having the appearance of someone wearing a ‘fat suit’), but that is not the same as being a Barbie. I noticed that a lot of you guys also like a curvy as opposed to skinny girl.
  • Breast size is not particularly important to me, although being a male I’m of course predisposed to appreciating size in this area.
  • Paying some attention to appearance is desirable, but I’ve yet to meet a girl who doesn’t meet this criterium.
  • Now I’m past my twenties I prefer a woman in the same agegroup. Small signs of aging (wrinkles) actually make a woman more attractive; it is a certain maturity that is endearing. Better than a twenty-year old with smooth and supple limbs and - what was I saying?

With respect to interests I actually do not find it particularly attractive for her to share all my silly interests, such as:

• SDMB
  • BtvS/Angel/all manner of stupid sitcoms
  • art/philosophy/etc.
    In fact, that might become rather boring. It’s nice if she would have other interests beside my own, provided she knows that as a couple you are not attached to the hip, so to speak. What is important is that you share some interests that you can do together. I wouldn’t like a girl who only wants to party every weekend; contrariwise I would like someone who appreciates ‘going out’ on dinner and theater/dance/classical concert. You know the drill.

Other habits/characteristics:

• Preferably she does like to drink some alcohol. Drinking alone is no fun.
  • Mental resilience: someone who can laugh if things don’t go exactly as planned.
  • Likes to debate about mostly anything but without getting into viciousness (guess that’s how I ended up here). Haven’t noticed my penchant for wordiness yet?
  • Enjoys sex.
  • Is open to trying new things, and not only/particularly with sex.
    Looking at the turnoffs of the other guys it seems like they have had a lot of bad luck. Or maybe I’ve lived a sheltered life. :slight_smile:

TTT brings up something that I forgot to mention myself.

I really like a woman who can show me some new things, and who I hope I can introduce to new things as well. Having said that, I really think it’s good to have a common base to work and branch out from… I don’t want a woman who necissarily shares all my interests, but at least a few… is that so much to ask for? :stuck_out_tongue:

Shyness, for some reason that just calls for attention.

“Barbie seems to be the going thing.”

Yeah, lots of plastic. Only thing is, if you could make her a real woman, she would fall over with those proportions.

I would like to think I’m not picky so here goes:

My ideal woman would not smoke (I see it as a sign of weakness and lack of respect), she would have a good sense of humour, be sarcastic, and not ‘overthink’ life like another poster said. I find alot of women aren’t very active, so I like someone who likes to get out and do something. No couch potatoes please! (though I like to make it a blockbuster night too :))

Takes care of herself. Which doesn’t mean she should be perfect, I would expect someone to want the same of me. That said, I believe for any relationship there must be a level of physical attraction somewhere, how can you be happy if you don’t find someone both physically and emotionally attractive?

And lastly, likes animals, the outdoors, simplicity, outgoing, positive. Be afraid of someone who drinks too much, or does not drink at all.

Most important though, is someone who laughs at life.

There, hope that wasn’t too bad :wink:

agree, people tend to place emphasis on the bad points and forget the good… :mad:

Some mathematical analysis.

Hey MemoryGongs, you just described me. So, what are YOU like, eh?