What Olympics sports have you NOT seen?

I tend not to watch the Olympics much because I dislike the way they are presented - mainly because they tend to focus on a limited number of competitions that do not interest me, and ignore many others.

I’ve only turned the games on a couple of times for brief periods, so I am not much of a judge. But all I have seen on those occasions were swimming, gymnastics, and beach volleyball.

What sports are you interested in, that to the best of your knowledge have not received any network coverage?

I’ve watched a lot of the Olympics. The only sport which I haven’t seen on tv is shooting.
I’ve been quite happy with the coverage. I’m ready for track and field to start.

Yeah? That’s great!
How much coverage have they given to archery, judo, rowing, equestrian, fencing, wrestling, weightlifting?
Do they televise events that Americans have not done well in?

Judo has received no broadcast coverage. Zero. Zilch. Zip. Nada. None. Not even the epic Georgia vs Russia match. Not even when Ronda Rousey won a bronze medal in the 70 kg category, to become the first American to win an Olympic medal in women’s judo since it became an Olympic sport in 1992.

To be fair to NBC, they have delivered on their promise to stream everything online. The video feeds, straight out of Beijing, have great coverage, good angles and no annoying commentary. There’s some text commentary, which is good for providing some background, but this can be easily turned off. There are (were, I should say, since the Judo tournament has concluded) two mats, and you could watch both video feeds simultaneously.

That’s really great. Tho I’m not interested enough to check it out these days, a couple of cycles back when I was involved in MA/fencing I remember being frustrated at seeing zero TV coverage of wrestling, judo, TKD, fencing…

There has been lots of rowing. Equestrian receives about an hour a day. Fencing got some coverage during all the rain since it is indoors. I’ve seen wrestling, weightlifting, and archery from time to time as well.

I also love CNBC’s boxing coverage. I may not have seen every match, but I’ve seen a lot.

My secretary told me the local Spanish language station was showing little other than soccer and boxing, as tho that was all a hispanic would possibly be interested in!

They have shown quite a bit of fencing. Even NBC found it hard to ignore the American women’s sweep of the individual sabre event.

They’re showing sports other than beach volleyball?

China’s been pretty good about broadcasting a wide variety of sports, although they’re just as China-centric as America is America-centric (the only tennis match I’ve seen involved Li Na). They’ve actually devoted many hours to archery, pistol/air pistol, fencing, field hockey, rowing, wrestling, judo, etc. The only thing I haven’t seen a live broadcast of is equestrian events, which China must be really bad at. :slight_smile:

Do you mean on NBC proper? MSNBC has broadcast Judo, though very little.

Nothing from Judo or Tae Kwan Do from any of the 4 channels I’ve been Tivoing :mad: Apparently the 4 hours of formal-attire-horse-prancing have been a greater ratings attraction :rolleyes:

Really? I must have missed it between the Olympic soccer channel, Olympic basketball channel, the boxing-with-some-other-stuff-thrown-in channel, gymnastics and swimming on primetime, and the beach volleyball. Anyway, I watched the live video streams online, which showed the entire tournament, from eliminations to medal awarding. They’re still available at nbcolympics.com.

Judo has just finished. Taekwondo hasn’t started yet.

But I want to be indignantly outraged now!

It is easier for me to say what I have seen: Today at the bar there was women’s beach volleyball and baseball on the tube. And I saw a replay of that big relay that we won.

That is all.

I really really want[ed?] to see judo, wrestling, and archery, and I haven’t seen any of it.

I thought I wanted to see fencing but I finally caught some and it was terribly boring - two people rush each other, clash, and one of them scores a point but you can’t really see who - you just know by the way their suits light up. I can’t imagine what a nightmare it was to score this before the tron suits.

I would have said handball, but there was some good coverage of it here last night (Russia vs Denmark).

It’s indicative of the place sailing has in the Olympics that it’s so low-profile it didn’t even come up in this thread until now, and the only reason I thought of it is that it was on the news ticket yesterday.

There are so many sailing events it’s hard to come up with an accurate count. Here is a programming list for one day:

1:00 AM 470 - Men’s Two Person Dinghy - Race 01 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
1:00 AM RS:X - Men’s Windsurfer - Race 01 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
1:00 AM 470 - Women’s Two Person Dinghy - Race 01 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
1:00 AM Yngling - Women’s Keelboat - Race 05 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
1:00 AM RS:X - Women’s Windsurfer - Race 01 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
1:00 AM Finn - Heavyweight Dinghy - Race 05 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
1:00 AM 49er - Skiff - Race 04 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
2:00 AM 470 - Men’s Two Person Dinghy - Race 02 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
2:00 AM RS:X - Men’s Windsurfer - Race 02 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
2:00 AM 470 - Women’s Two Person Dinghy - Race 02 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
2:00 AM RS:X - Women’s Windsurfer - Race 02 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
2:00 AM Finn - Heavyweight Dinghy - Race 06 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
2:00 AM 49er - Skiff - Race 05 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
3:00 AM Yngling - Women’s Keelboat - Race 06 3 Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
3:00 AM 49er - Skiff - Race 06
I mean, who doesn 't think about taking up RS:X or Finny or Yngling? What, you say you’ve NEVER HEARD of thse things? Me neither.

Doh, wrong thread

PM me with your address, and I’ll send you a copy of Heinlein’s “Glory Road”.
Just because.