What’s your go to snack from convenience store?

You’re on a long drive, you’re hungry, it’s the middle of the night and nothing is open except a 7-11. You stop to get gas. What do you buy to eat in the car?

My go to snack in that situation is honey roasted peanuts and apple juice. It’s substantial enough that I feel like I’ve eaten something without having to eat something with cheese from a pump.

Sad but true, probably some sort of Ice Cream treat. This is why I’m still fat after losing 47 pounds.

Yeah, mine is coffee and a massive bakery item. So I’ve been trying to cut down on sugar and only get mixed nuts and a diet coke.

Though, if I’m afraid of falling asleep, then all bets are off. Twizzlers, sour gummy worms, Butterfinger, and FLAMIN’ HOT CHEETOS!.. whatever it takes!

What’s that old saying?

“Stocking up on road trip snacks should be indistinguishable from giving a kid a $20 bill in a candy store!”

When I saw the thread title, my first thought was “dark chocolate Kit-Kats.”

However, after reading the conditions in the OP, I’ll revise that to beef sticks and doughnuts. Maybe a hot dog if it looks like it hasn’t been on those aluminum rollers too long.

Hot dog. Never eat them at home, but in the car it just feels right. And yes, I know they are known to be nasty after rolling around all day. :grin:

Those Hostess “honeybuns” with a thick layer of white frosting.

Potato Salad/Egg Salad Sandwich (one half of the sandwich is PS; the other’s ES), Minute Maid Orange Juice, Green Salad, Castella Cake. At least that’s what’s available in the Beijing 7-11s.

You two are so much braver than I.

I can’t eat that kind of food. Literally cannot make myself eat it. The only junk food I like is potato chips. Which are not really food at all. I have a terrible time eating on the road. Usually I stock up on raw fruit, some kind of whole grain crackers (like ‘low fat’ triscuits), and as sharp a cheddar cheese as I can find, and keep a supply in the car until the next supermarket.

salted cashews and a bottle of water.

Agreed.

Funyuns.

Which are?

Air, petroleum by-products, and onion flavor.

And crack…

They’re a little like… cracklins? (pork rinds), but with less fat, less flavor, and a ton of onion flavoring. An entire bag goes down in 30 seconds.

Cheese 'n peanut butter crackers and a Pepsi Zero

Hot dogs or pizza. Easy to eat one handed and maybe a giant bag of Doritos and a Big Gulp Mtn Dew to stay awake…

All my road trips these days are to see my mom. I’ve got a route planned out using scenic twisty roads… and I’ve got snack stops AND multiple rest room stops planned!

Go-Go Taquitos from 7-11 – and maybe a bag of peanut M&Ms too. Yum!

If “you are what you eat,” I’m about 40% 7-11 taquitos!

The only times I’ve been in the situation the OP suggests, it’s because I’m in the middle of a long drive, because nothing else would force me to eat at such a time or situation. Now 90% of such times, I’ve prepped ahead of time, so I can have ‘less-bad’ road food options, which include things like Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter filled hard preztel bites, or homemade beef jerky.
But the few times that time and place have left me needing something to keep driving and a 7-11 is all there is, it’s always been Peanut M&Ms - I find the bit of sugar perks me up briefly, and the fat and protein of the peanut helps keep me from crashing. By the same token, if it had to be a candy bar (or they are out of M&Ms) it would be a Snickers for similar reasons.

Earl Grey tea and tropical fruit lifesavers.