What were you THINKING?

I once had to squeeze my son’s string quartet into my Chevy Bolt. Two violinists, one violist, and one cellist. And all of their instruments. Let me tell you, getting that cello in was tricky. But there was room.

Edited to add: the violist graduated and was replaced with a bassist. There is never room for a bass.

Yeah, the “Smapti vs. Everyone” debate is getting really old.

My brother used to get his double bass in a Fiat Uno…

When my daughter flew with her cello, we had to buy a second seat for it. I have no clue how you travel with a bass.

Remember how they used to transport the space shuttle?

You buy it a first class seat?

Boy, in some cases, might be cheaper to just buy a bass at the destination.

I am not wading through that massive thread but does no one use AM radio for sports broadcasts? Not sure why it’s just “emergency broadcasts” vs “right wing talk radio.” Listening to games when you aren’t able to watch is the only thing I associate with AM radio.

I decided to take my thoughts to that thread.

What forum is that thread in? I haven’t seen it and searching on the word “radio” isn’t helping me find it.

The title and forum could be written without backlinking.

Omnibus Stupid MFers in the News.

It’s Part 2 of the thread by that title and start at post #8532 from Sep 23. This digression is up to a little over 100 posts (and counting) in just 24 hours (and counting). Fight’s On!

We had the same AM radio debate I think about of years ago. Is this new or ongoing from that because it sounds exactly the same.

New; Smapti (probably unintentionally) started the discussion in that thread by posting, as an example of “Stupid MFers,” the bill currently in Congress to mandate that new autos have AM radios. This has become a thing because some automakers – makers of EVs, in particular – have started to (or announced plans to) stop putting radios capable of receiving AM in cars. (Without a bit of shielding on the radio, EVs cause interference on the AM band.)

His ire seems to be because he sees the bill as a sop to right-wing talk radio (he’s not entirely wrong), but the thrust of the argument in the thread is about his steadfast refusal to ignore any evidence that AM radio – and having AM radios in cars – might have some utility.

Technically, we have a “clean” thread title per Miller. Our title isn’t quite at the level of an insult, so you could do a straight link. But it still would probably be picking a fight, so generally not worth it. Though it’s a Pit to Pit link, so who really cares? Not anything you can’t say there that you could here, so… I think @puzzlegal has the right of it.

Huh. I wonder if my EV actually has an AM radio.

Yeah. It’s been the custom here to not directly link.

It would be nice to have a broken link to the first post or at least tell us the post number for the AM Radio discussion. I am not about to wade through that long ass thread just to find it.

I thought that the AM Radio mandate was for FEMA alerts if other infrastructure is down. Maybe some of the dunderheads in Congress see the right wing radio thing as a bonus and one or two as the main reason is as far as I will go. It’s strongly bipartisan. My Tesla doesn’t have one which I thought was a general EV thing (as @kenobi_65 said) because the motors interfere with the broadcasts. Maybe there is a way around it.

Here you go. When Smapti originally started it, he called the bill a stupid idea, with no context as to why he thought it was stupid.

https://boards. straightdope.com/t/omnibus-stupid-mfers-in-the-news-thread-part-2/995657/8532

My understanding is that it is not a huge issue to fix; it apparently requires some sort of shielding around the radio box, which might cost ~$50. One provision of the bill is that automakers are being prohibited from passing the cost on to consumers.

Like this from 6 posts above yours maybe? :grin: