What would Al Gore do?

Most here seem to agree. GW Bush is not worthy of being our President.

I don’t think that he was the best choice either but does anyone really believe that Al Gore, Nader or Buchannon are the solution?

So here are my questions.

What would Al Gore do for us as a nation that Bush would not? What foreign affair would Gore be better equipped at dealing with? How about the economy? Ours and the worlds. Or our energy problem?

Would anyone trust him in dealing with the Chinese? Would he stand up to China if there is an incident dealing with Taiwan? Or should he even bother?

What do you think the reaction from Japan would be? Or does it not matter?

Remember he’d have the Senate but not the House and as many people would be just as pissed about the outcome.

I don’t claim to have any or all of the answers. I just want to know what you all think. You don’t have to be right because you won’t be. This is all just trivial at this point.

Al Gore had one priority straight: pay off the public debt accrued due to scam deregulation of banks and massive defense borrowing the last time they reduced taxes and raised spending. Also, environment is a always a high priority, along with reducing costs for drugs for seniors that are the highest in the world. Campaign finance reform was not Gore’s first priority, but Bush would veto it, Gore would not.

Why is it so many Americans trust a guy who spends the most contributions from the wealthy? Don’t they realize who Bush serves now? Not to mention the bad, bad precedent of creating a presidential dynasty in two successive Republican candidates. Oilmen make lousy populist leaders, especially one who blames the economic victim (unethical) and claims to trust the people more than the government (but not with abortion, medical marijuana or other personal rights). By the way, campaigning on distrusting government and running for president is a contradiction in terms. Why trust a guy who went to expensive private schools and sent his kids to expensive private schools to campaign against the public schools? What a crock and a sham. I instinctively avoid anyone who morally demonizes their political opposition, it’s the oldest trick in the book.

I think alot more people would be pissed about the outcome:). I’ve seen people complaining about Bushes shameless pursuit of the presidency. Imagine if Gore had won.

Brian, he was talking about Gore. If the only thing you can say about Gore is that he is not Bush thats not a good sign.

Asmodean,

He was talking about Gore, I was talking about Bush. I usually answer the questions I would’ve asked from the implied assumption. Gore is no Bill Bradley. Bill Bradley would’ve been better than Nader, who is single and apparently straight and dedicated to few issues. I’m saying Nader may have deprioritized families and gay issues and Gore stumbled by not attacking Nader, an easy target (no fault of anybody, but an omission of tactic). Also, I don’t buy into the popular Nader idea that both parties are the same (implied here, way deep, but still implied). To claim both parties are the same, and by extension, that Gore and Bush are the same, avoids the discussion of the deeply logically flawed winner-take-all system. Now the shoe is on the other foot for Nader, I could easily argue that Nader is the same as a Republican because he helped them win. The point being, as always, its just a speculative opinion, what if, what if not. What is the question again?

Nobody can stand up to the Chinese. They shrewdly got the wealthy to move too much factory production over there. They are into us now like a leach into a vein. Call it the final triumph of communism over capitalism, they merely outbid our labor force.

Semi pointless, at least until the next election. Yes.
Redundant, since we’ve hashed it to death. Yes.
Trivial? Who is the leader of the most powerful nation on earth and the job they will or would do is trivial? No.

stoid

[SouthPark]
*What would Albert Gore do
if he were here right now?
He’d make a plan and follow through,
that’s what Albert Gore would do!

When Albert Gore was in the olympics,
Skating for the gold,
He did two sow cows and a triple lutz,
While wearing a blind fold.

When Albert Gore was in the alps,
Fighting grizzly bears,
He used his magical fire breath,
And saved the maidens fair.

So what would Albert Gore do
If he were here today,
I’m sure he’d kick an ass or two,
That’s what Albert Gore would do!*
[/SouthPark]

On the economic / environmental /labor front, I think the point is that Al Gore would sometimes stand up to the monied corporate interests. Not all the time, not even most of the time, but at least some of the time.

Is that damning with faint praise? Well, I suppose. But…

(1) the difference between sometimes and never [or, if we want to be a bit more optimistic than we have any real evidence to be, rarely] is not insignificant.

(2) hey, I didn’t vote for him either.

Gore would not have chosen Ashcroft or Norton for any cabinet post. His choices would have to have been less bad.

[hijack]
Ummm, Phil, that’s ‘salchows,’ not ‘sow cows.’ A salchow is some sort of skating move.

Yeah, that was going through my head too, when I saw the thread title. :wink:
[/hijack]

Hazel:Gore would not have chosen Ashcroft or Norton for any cabinet post. His choices would have to have been less bad."

You mean to say, less offensive to you. Look at who they are replacing. Is this somehow a step in the wrong directon?

jshore:On the economic / environmental /labor front, I think the point is that Al Gore would sometimes stand up to the monied corporate interests. Not all the time, not even most of the time, but at least some of the time."

True he would to a certain extent. See Brians remarks about how he perceives China shrewdly got our factories moved over there. I wonder why our businesses did that? And do you really believe that China is shrewed? It would appear to many that they were handed our labor for several reasons. How would Al Gore have helped in this situation? He supports our labor and supports China as well. Which would he feel is politically more important to his future in Washington? That is what it would boil down to.

Stoidela:
“Semi pointless, at least until the next election. Yes.
Redundant, since we’ve hashed it to death. Yes.
Trivial? Who is the leader of the most powerful nation on earth and the job they will or would do is trivial? No.”

In other words you have nothing to add to this thread.

So why post here unless it was to just see your post count increase by one. Congrats Stoidela you’ve earned yourself one more unproductive post. :smiley:

RT, I c&p’ed from some SP fansite. Not guilty. :slight_smile:

pldennison [SouthPark]
What would Albert Gore do
if he were here right now?
He’d make a plan and follow through,
that’s what Albert Gore would do!

When Albert Gore was in the olympics,
Skating for the gold,
He did two sow cows and a triple lutz,
While wearing a blind fold.

When Albert Gore was in the alps,
Fighting grizzly bears,
He used his magical fire breath,
And saved the maidens fair.

So what would Albert Gore do
If he were here today,
I’m sure he’d kick an ass or two,
That’s what Albert Gore would do!
[/SouthPark]

Don’t worry there, your input is winning so far. No one else has had much to say on Gores behalf. I thought of south park when I put up this thread too. Only after I named it though. :smiley:

No one can defend this guy? :confused:

I know that many here voted for him and since Bush is loathed in abundance I thought that this was an apt question.

I can certainly defend the man. His years in public service are an inspiration to me.

In fact, whenever I am faced with a moral dilemma I ask myself precisely the question listed as the title of this thread: “What would Al Gore do?”

Not in the least!!! Personally, I voted for Harry Browne so none of this is my fault :slight_smile:

It most certainly is…choosing between Gush and Bore was like a choice between arsenic and cyanide.

mx-6, I was going to respond to your response of mine, but can’t figure out where you disagree with what I said.

To put it another way, Bush has never met a monied corporate interest he didn’t like. Al Gore has been willing to stand up to a few now and again. Is that a ringing endorsement of the man? Hell no. Does it make him considerably better than Bush? Hell yes.

The main reason I am against “campaign finance reform” is the fact that money is a form of expression in government and we shouldn’t interfere in a private exchange of money. As for “monied corporate interests”, well, certainly they are going to contribute money to candidates who aren’t going to bury them…they’d be rather daft not to. Is it corrupt? Perhaps. Is it better than the alternative of laws and regulations? Absolutely!

To a certain extent I would agree. when political speach is made by individuals with their own money. But I don’t think corporations should have the right to political speach.

Corporations can’t vote, therefore they shouldn’t be allowed to use their money to influence the vote either. When they do, it isn’t political speach but rather corruption of what should be our elected officials.

tj

I guess this is a hijack but one of the first things Bush did after going into office was sign a few enviromental protection bills.:eek:

Sure he did, but my question was What would Al Gore Do?

No one has come up with any answers yet.

Do I need to repost the original questions? They are not difficult questions.

Jshore. I have no problems with what you said. You made a reasoned statement. Thanks for the input. :slight_smile:

Didn’t I say that I am not the one with the answers? No one has the answers but I will correct those who are out of bounds. I want answers to my questions. Not biased opinions on debatable political initiatives. If you want to rant, do it elsewhere. Answer my questions or jet.