What would be your ideal hours for daylight?

With the possibility of DST becoming a year round thing here in the US, I though this would be a fun topic. What hours would be your ideal preference for daytime? For me it would be 7:00 AM to 7:30 PM.

Ask a vampire?

I like Mornings dark evening light

I get to pick any hours? 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Any hours for me would be 7:30am to 7:00pm

I want it dark when I’m sleeping, and enough light for a solid evening, but when it gets dark much past 7:00pm it sometimes doesn’t feel like the day ever ends and makes the transition to ‘going to bed mode’ much harder.

Somewhat related: Here’s a fun tool to see if you would be happier with standard time, daylight savings time, or what we do now, moving the clocks.

My preference is approximately sunrise at 6:30am and sunset at 8:30 or 9 pm. And I’m okay with more sun. I’ve visited Finland near midsummer, and can’t home with fantasies of living in Finland for the summer and southern Chile for its summer.

I like how it asks the two main bothersomeness parameters: what is sunrise too late, and what is sunset too early. It reminds the viewer that it works in both directions. (And the maps make me more inclined to think, there probably should be five CONUS time zones, with the borders at places different from the ones we have now.)

Sunrise at 8:00 am and sunset at 10:00 pm. Nice long summer days all year round. Make it so!

Sunrise at 5 AM, sunset at 8 PM.

Reading the replies got me curious, it seems the vast number of posters prefer more natural light, while I want nearly a 50/50 balance. So, for no other reason than my own curiosity, a poll.

• I want majority of daylight (say 13 hours a day or more)
  • I want majority of night hours (13 hours a day or more)
  • I want it split pretty much 50/50 (12ish hours each)

0 voters

6 Am to 9 PM.

So, are we calling for the rate of spin and axial tilt of the earth to be changed to create the conditions that some dopers are requesting?

No, lets be realistic. Just travel budget to go to where the conditions are met. Or perhaps a yacht that follows the timeline around the globe. Let’s don’t mess with mother nature.

But some folks will want to be with all their stuff while they enjoy their ideal hours.

Which is why I added the yacht.

This one would do.

I’d like to see the course plotted for that yacht, for each ideal daylight hours track.

I would think that you would need to time your travels around the Panama and Suez canals and keep your course set between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn in order to come close to achieving the ideal schedule. It would be a rough life, yes.

Depends on what you consider ideal. Stay in the tropics and you’ll tend to have equal day/night lengths all the time.

For those wanting longer days, they’ll have to spend some time north and south of the tropics.

Since it’s a rough life, I will, with heavy heart, be willing to undertake the experiment for you.

If you’ll just sign the grant for the funding for the experiment including the yacht, the crew, the supplies and the sundries along with a reasonable wage for my time and effort, I’m willing to undertake a 20 year deep dive into the subject!

I like long summer days.
We get up early too, so:

6:15 am to 9:30 pm.