What's the most interesting car you saw today?

Yeah those were fairly sound mechanically, but were terrible rust buckets.

I remember they had a “Honey Bee” edition, in contrasting black & yellow.

I saw one of these today:

It looked like something that Sam Lowry might drive in a not-so-distopian world.

I saw a Tahoe, or some other similar SUV a few days ago with swapped out rims/wheels. That, in and of itself, is nothing out of the ordinary, however on this truck the rims looked like old wheels with spoked hubcaps and the tires had whitewalls.
It was like this, but on a modern SUV.

Looked really out of place. I’m curious how many people younger than 35ish actually appreciate the look he was going for.

Yesterday: a Lexus IS F – like this but sort of a champagne color.

Haha, I wonder if that was worth saving a piece of hot rusty exhaust pipe? I would think not but his intentions were good.

My gym buddy drives an IS F.
It’s so loud, you can’t have a conversation in it.

I saw a beautiful early-1970s Dodge Dart Swinger. No mods, painted solid pale yellow. These always bring back memories, because my grandma had one (olive green). Looked like this (except no black trim):

Also so saw a Karmann Ghia on a flat bed, painted for racing. No idea the model year. Looked something like this, with stripes and logos, etc.

A nice red Pontiac Solstice. Produced for the 2006-2010 model years, this was Pontiac’s first two-seat sports car since 1988 when the Fiero was discontinued.

Pontiac planned to build 7,000 Solstices in the first year. The car was very popular, and in the first 10 days of availability Pontiac received 7,000 orders. That was soon followed by 6,000 more orders. Pontiac upped production to 10,000 in response.

The Solstice continued to be popular but the 2008 recession hit hard, and GM closed the Pontiac division in 2010. In the end 65,724 Solstices were produced.

6 photos —

It wasn’t rusty. Someone did a bad job of attaching it. The thing was practically new.

Saturday, I saw a 1960 Buick LeSabre convertible with those classic Buick portholes, at the sides. The car was a deep red (aftermarket paint color) and the convertible top was a bit worn out. Overall though, the car looked great.

Jeep Grand Wagoneer, made from 1984-91. Stashed in a garage, not sure if it’s in running condition.

Google Photos

I had an '88.
I worried about it breaking down every time I drove it, but surprisingly, it never left me stranded. It got 11mpg even on the highway.

My current drive is my first Jeep, a diesel Grand Cherokee. My last one was a 2001 Honda CR-V that was bulletproof reliable. I’ve had some issues with my JGC but it has never stranded me. I have 130,000 miles on her and I think all the bugs have been worked out. I’m happy with the MPGs. It’s low 20s in city driving and 30 on the highway. With a 25-gallon tank I can go far on a tankful, easily over 500 miles on the freeway.

I once tried hypermiliing her for an entire tankful and I got over 35 MPG and went 835 miles before putting 2 gallons from a fuel can to get to a gas station.

And it has good torque. It is a very comfortable highway cruiser, and it’s pretty capable on the trail. I have Jeep’s best available 4WD system on it.

I put less than 5% of my miles on the trail, but I do use it’s trail capabilities. This is my Jeep —

A nice yellow Vette. A C7.

An Isuzu Amigo, lifted and with a snorkel.

Don’t know if should be a separate thread, or should I just dump all car news here?

Among the car models being discontinued in 2023, the one’s that stick out to me:

• Acura NSX
  • Chevy Malibu
  • Mercedes-Benz A-Class
  • Nissan Maxima
  • Toyota Avalon
  • VW Passat

The ones on the chopping block are a little surprising. I’m amazed the Chrysler 300 is still in production. And the Dodge Challenger/Charger is understandable considering the direction cars are going. I wonder what’s going to replace the Ford Transit Connect and Mercedes Metris?

The Malibu and Avalon are really surprising. I guess Chevy is getting away from cars altogether and focusing on SUV’s and trucks. And I think the Camry has grown a bit, and cannibalized some of the Avalon’s sales maybe? Seems like large sedans are just hard to sell these days. Most people would rather have an SUV.

Spotted the Challengum on today’s walk. Still not sure what the combination really includes. But it’s certainly a thing.

Google Photos

It looks like a mashup of a Dodge Magnum and a Dodge Challenger. Specifically it looks like someone put a Challenger front clip and maybe some other parts on a Magnum.

Oh, I get that, but if it’s just cosmetic, why bother? The Magnum could be had with the 6.1l V8, and I doubt someone would drop a Hellcat or Demon supercharged engine without mentioning it on the badging. The only other engine option would be the 6.4l Hemi, but would that be worth it? Maybe to get the manual transmission?