What's your favorite lunch food that might make other people look at you funny?

I have an apple for lunch almost every day…my coworkers consider that strange. “Just an apple?” they say, implying somehow that getting take-out every day is “normal”.

I like to cut an avocado in half at my desk and eat it straight out of the skin. Maybe not THAT unusual in the overall scheme of things, but it’s definitely atypical here.

Sometimes I will bring in a pack of ramen noodles, break up the square into a tall cup, and pour water on it from our kitchen’s boiling tap. Let it sit for 5 minutes, add flavor seasoning, and eat. It makes a great midafternoon snack! But eating from a drinking cup is also unusual :slight_smile:

Canned sardines.

Many years ago I was really watching my fat intake. I would get a little tub of hummus everyday. And the best crackers I found to put it on? Bible Bread.

Yes, my coworkers gave me lots and lots of shit for that.

Peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwich. I just love the smooth, briney, sweet and crunchy combo.

Soulmate!

Sandwiches made with mechanically separated meat spreads. Underwood deviled ham, chicken, or roast beef, depending on my palate that day. Yum!

I’ll try it. Where do you get your mint sauce?

This, except in water. Plain if the albacore, mix in a little brown mustard if it is the cheap stuff. I also recently discovered chicken in a can (right next to the tuna!). Seems to have about the same nutritional value (low fat/high protein) and is a little cheaper (than the albacore).

Cottage cheese with yellow mustard and chopped dill pickles.

Croutons and diet coke.

I adore croutons, which is one of the many reasons I eat salad so frequently. But if I could eat just the croutons and not the salad, I would do it in a heartbeat.

How does a person even eat seaweed? Isn’t it kind of slimy, like…boogers?

It’s dried, and therefore kind of crackly, and usually wrapped around rice or something (a la maki sushi), with soy sauce or other condiment. I’m not a big fan, but in the proper setting and with the proper accompaniments, it’s tasty and very nutricious.

I too want to know what kind of mint sauce goes with cheddar?
Roddy

eta: you can also have seaweed in your soup, which then is a bit slimy, but not like boogers. If you want the sensation of eating snot, there is another Japanese food you should try (but I can’t think of the name of it, I’ll have to look it up).

Liver sausage

I frequently snack on carrots and hummus, both at home and at work.

But for lunch? PB&J. I’ve never outgrown my love of the stuff.

I get that at work all the time. The sandwich shop doesn’t have them on their menu, but they’ll make them for me. Or give me the stuff to make them myself.

Another vote for sardines–mashed up with lots of mustard and spred on saltines.

I don’t take that one to work. I get enough comments when I bring something that smells appetizing, like a curry or leftover stir-fry.

Fluffernutter sandwich. (Peanut butter with marshmallows.) No, I don’t use the fluff spread. I’m talking honest-to-diety marshmallows.

Rachel, I do the avocado-at-my-desk thing, too. Also, sometimes I’ll nuke a plain flour tortilla with some shredded mozzarella on it, roll the whole thing up, and eat that.

Peanut butter and jam.

Sure, you think it’s normal. You should see how the Japanese look at me, though.

Liverwurst and pimento cheese sandwiches, I love them. I only eat them at home because people freak out “what the F are you eating! I can smell that S from here and I think I am going to vomit, go outside and eat that disgusting pile of C”

CAPT