When was the last time you Shotgunned a beer? (If ever)

Six years ago at a bachelor party.

We didn’t really do it in the UK. There it was either down a pint in one (from the glass) or for greater lulz, down a yard of ale (two and a half pints, from a special glass thing that you normally had to put a deposit down for in case you smashed it).

I guess never since I have no idea what “shotgunned” means - I assume it does not mean shooting it with a shotgun.

We did it in Glasgow.

Last time for me would be late 1990s, ah the good old days. I don’t remember it clearly. Nor do I remember the pints of Diesel, cans of Hooch, having to explain to English barmen what a long vodka was, and yes, these Clydesdale bank notes are legal tender… goes misty eyed

Video example. Also, see post #12 above.

High school, which was over 45 years ago, and it was harder than it looked (to me anyway.) We church-keyed the side near the bottom, covered that with our mouths, then popped the top—that was the hard part, having enough strength to pull up the tab without moving the can away from my mouth. Not worth it IMHO, not with the choking and subsequent belch. But we called tree-froggin’. Maybe because to us “shotgunning” involved the passing of weed smoke or getting married.

Thought you’d be knocking back the Buckie.

It was probably in my early 20s (about 25 years ago) and it was definitely Milwaukee’s Best.

August, 1985 at a bachelor party.

I turned the can on it side and poked a hole near the bottom on the side opposite the pop-top. I covered it with my finger, turned the can up, opened it then drank it like normal, but took my finger off the hole.

If you drink from the hole you punch in the side of the can, you don’t get all the beer! :wink:

C’mon, people! Everyone shotgun one by next Monday! Post a video!

I’m the one person in Scotland who’s never drank it OR been to T in the Park. Can’t break either of those habits now :wink:

Not so much a shot gunner but I was a champion beer bonger (funnel w/ a 3-4’ tube attached)

Most impressive shotgunning I ever saw was on a college ski trip.Guy grabbed a beer, walked to the window, shotgunned it, turned around, started walking towards the bathroom (where the beer was being kept), crushed the empty & pitched it, reached the bathroom & grabbed another, walked back to the window…did this six times in a row w/o breaking stride! :eek:

Can’t you put a hole in the bottom, shake the crap outa the can, and let the pressure of CO2 do the work for ya?

I don’t believe I ever have. I’m not even 100% sure what “shotgunning” a beer is. {Guess you can tell I wasn’t exactly a party animal during my youth…}

Shotgunning a beer is when you put a hole in the can near the bottom and then open the top. The extra hole allows the beer to flow out into your mouth very quickly allowing you to drink (shitty) beer very quickly.

Trick would be to shake it while your lips maintain a seal on the hole. This also makes it difficult to control the flow rate, since you pretty much have to swallow it as fast as the CO2 is driving it out of the can. Plus, you’ll end up trying to swallow a much greater volume, since foam is being produced in the can. Shotgunning results in mostly liquid going down your throat; it’s only after it’s in your stomach that most of the CO2 starts coming out of solution.

Several years ago Tony Millionaire devoted an episode of his comic strip “Maakies” to shotgunning beers, explaining mainly how to hide from your wife while you were doing it. (Leave the house by a side door. Shotgun beer.)

I’m as much of an alcoholic as Tony, but I have never shotgunned a beer. I would rather get shitfaced by downing a few cocktails and then slowly drinking a couple of good beers (or glasses of wine) with a meal.

I can’t chug beer. The last time I attempted to chug a beer I was 19 years old, and I puked it all back up all over my girlfriend’s cousin’s living room.

She wasn’t impressed.

The carbon dioxide just kills me. I can’t burp it out fast enough without puking.

Maybe 15 or so years ago. I was standing in the middle of my in-laws’ kitchen when the beer I’d just open started to spew. Now wanting to make a mess or waste beer, I shotgunned it. Unfortunately, I also chipped a tooth in the process. When I told my dentist what had happened, he said that he chipped a tooth the same way once.

Never have. I don’t really see the point. It seems like a lot of hassle and potential mess when you can just pour the beer into a glass and then chug it. Plus, in my experience one of the great features of beer is that you can drink it at a moderate pace and the intoxication won’t sneak up on you like it can with stronger libations. Shotgunning etc. would remove that advantage.