When You Read the Dope, What Do You Hear?

I sometimes hear different peoples’ voices when I read some peoples’ posts in the Dope. It makes reading a post in the Christopher Walken voice make a big difference.

You hearing it too, or is it just me?

I do hear voices when reading some posts.

Yours is a little like Fry from Futurama

**QtM ** is a deep baritone filled with Wisdom.

**GonzoMax ** has a little Grandpa Simpson to it. :wink:

Silenus is a good natured but gruff voice. Friendly and yet a little acerbic.

**Anyrose ** has a Strong Long Island accent, but I think that is because of her listed location. A mix of Brenda Morgenstern and the Nanny.

**Bosda ** has a voice of bemusement and a little Wallace Shawn.

Inigo Montoya sounds like Mandy Patinkin of course.

**ralph124c ** sounds like Ralph Wiggums. I apologize for that, but it got stuck in my head.

Malacandra sounds like Michael Palin in my head.

Kythereia sounds like a young Susan Sarandon

** lissener** sounds like Eddie Deezen

I did not include posters I have actually met or talked to.

Jim

[QUOTE=What Exit?]
I did not include posters I have actually met or talked to.

Jim
[/QUOTE]

Whew!
I don’t hear voices, though that’s an interesting thought. I think I’m going to start…

I have listened to a voice post that a Doper made on her LiveJournal, and was very surprised to hear she sounded younger than I imagined.

Well, Jim, I’m conflicted when I read your posts. I want to hear Larry David (and sometimes do) but mostly hear some random nasal Brooklyn accent.

gonzomax DEFINITELY has his Grampa Simpson moments. I take EVERY opportunity to poke him when he has an old man catnap on the couch or in the chair when watching tv. He likes it.

Senor Autobus Muchacho, I read your post with Christopher Walken. That makes your empty space in the first sentence feel much more…alive!

Oh yeah…can someone pass the Slurm?

[QUOTE=Least Original User Name Ever]
Well, Jim, I’m conflicted when I read your posts. I want to hear Larry David (and sometimes do) but mostly hear some random nasal Brooklyn accent.
[/QUOTE]

Well I have a nasal Jersey suburban accent with some residual Bronx accent mixed in. So pretty close.

Jim

So…to the rest of the universe…you’re unintelligible.
Got it.

:smiley:

[QUOTE=Least Original User Name Ever]
So…to the rest of the universe..you’re unintelligible.
Got it.

:smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Have you been talking to my wife? :smiley:

Nah, I just know it’s (being unintelligible) is self-defense. It’s like Brad Pitt in Snatch, when he had that weird English accent that nobody understood.
Yes, tell your wife that I just compared you to Brad Pitt.

[QUOTE=What Exit?]
I do hear voices when reading some posts.

Yours is a little like Fry from Futurama

[/QUOTE]

Bingo! That’s it!

Unless otherwise noted, I hear all UK posters as the RP accents of the BBC news. The Aussies all sound like Crocodile Dundee or Steve Corwin.
I hear most male Dopers in a generic, Peter Jennings type voice, UNLESS their syntax, vocabulary (or even main focus) is such that PJ just won’t fit. If it’s a Pit thread and they’re being especially poisonous, I hear shrill tones (not in the least pleasant). If they are witty in their rage-I hear a Lewis Black type screed.

The female Dopers–hard to say. Some sound like Paula Poundstone, some like Gilda Radner–in all her manifestations!

I will try to track who gets which voice now…gee, thanks-another thing for me to obsess about! :slight_smile:

I assign both voice and appearance to other posters. Everyone gets a personality based on TV and movies. A few samples of what I see and hear when I’m on the board(s)*:

Shirley Ujest == Dana Delaney
QtM == Robert Stack
tashabot == the robot Transformer chick from the movie (can’t remember her name, Susan Blu?)
Chefguy == James Earl Jones (I have no idea why; It’s just happens)
Martini Enfield == Jeff Cooper (I hope he takes this as a compliment)
FairyChatMom == Liv Tyler
Faithfool == Mama Cass (please, please take this as a compliment… it is)
Johnny LA == Johnny Bravo (one of the few cartoons)
lieu == Robin Williams
Kalhoun == Bonnie Hunt
TuckerFan == Orson Wells
Dinsdale == Eric Idle

*hopefully everyone will view these avatars favorably. I don’t mean to offend.

[QUOTE=Anastasaeon]
Bingo! That’s it!
[/QUOTE]

Oh really, Kerry Strug?

Just kidding. It’s a little lower than Kerry’s.

There was a website that Francesca put together awhile back.

I’ve learned to ‘listen’ to a few voices from the site, but it hasn’t been updated in awhile. I’d personally send a few bucks her way if she needed to update the site.

Tripler
Other than that, y’all sound like Yul Brenner in my head–just not as bald.

[QUOTE=Least Original User Name Ever]
Nah, I just know it’s (being unintelligible) is self-defense. It’s like Brad Pitt in Snatch, when he had that weird English accent that nobody understood.
Yes, tell your wife that I just compared you to Brad Pitt.
[/QUOTE]

Best accent ever. Gypsy Irish, I think, can’t remember the specific term. Favorite movie, but I have really low standards.

And yes, I hear voices, too.

Lunch Lady Doris…

[QUOTE=What Exit?]

Kythereia sounds like a young Susan Sarandon

[/QUOTE]

:o Should I be flattered? :o

I admit, I only hear the voices of the people I’ve talked to IRL–Sunspace, Lissa, Eats_Crayons, all the Trannadopers. That website from Francesca looks like a good place to start…

If it helps, you sound normal in my mind…except a slight Canadian accent…and a proclivity to say “aboot”.
Then again, that’s most Canadians on this board.

Love me.

[QUOTE=Kythereia]
:o Should I be flattered? :o
[/QUOTE]

I think so. For some reason I think of Janet from Rocky Horror as your imagined voiced. I am not sure why. It just clicked that way to me at some point.

Anastasaeon, I am glad you agree on Fry for LOUNE. I did not think about it when I first posted, but when I read your posts; I usually give you the mental voice of one of my young co-workers. She has a young bubbly voice.

[QUOTE=Lobelia Overhill]
Lunch Lady Doris…
[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that is what you sound like, I am disappointed, I had imagined your voice to be British Country Squirish, how I would expect a well off Hobbit to sound.

Jim

I’m with you on Anastaseon. I sense some sort of effervescence from her.

silenus has a low, almost gravelly voice. His voice isn’t what you’d think it would be.

FairyChatMom could do phone sex. She just has that kind of voice to her. (What??)

Shagnasty has a degree of a Boston accent, although I can’t pinpoint WHAT degree it is. He’s also got perfect grammar and diction, despite this blight of an accent.

I’m still trying to recalibrate my inner monologue for a bunch. Being alerted that the person you thought was one gender, then having them be the opposite messes up with much stuff.

Also, alice_in_wonderland has a young Demi Moore voice. Kinda deep-ish, but still cute.