Which of these comedians would you most want to see live (poll)?

• Sarah Silverman
  • Demetri Martin
  • David Cross
  • Pete Holmes

0 voters

There is some great stand-up comedy coming to the Greater Metropolitan Detroit Area in the next few months. Mrs. solost texted me links to the 4 acts in the poll and asked me which I wanted to see. Silverman is going to be at the Fillmore in Detroit in March; the other 3 are at the Royal Oak Music Theater in May and June. Both are really nice mid-size venues to see a show.

Just curious what y’all would choose amongst these 4. The results may influence our decision but will not be binding. Since I think we may do a couple of these, I made the poll multiple choice up to 2 comedians. My personal thinking so far is seeing Silverman at the Fillmore (formerly the Fox Theater, a beautiful old venue in Detroit) and either Martin or Holmes at the ROMT. David Cross, though I’ve really enjoyed a lot of his past stuff, like his sketch work on Mr. Show, I seem to remember not loving his last stand-up special.

So glad Mrs. solost and I have similar senses of humor! If she wanted to see, say, Jeff Dunham live, we might have a problem :roll_eyes:

I’ve seen Cross and Martin live and enjoyed them both. Martin is more clever but tightly scripted. Cross is lot more loosey/goosey. He completely lost his shit when an audience member shouted “no politics!”. He burned that guy so bad, he got up and left. I don’t think he was a plant, but it was the funniest part of the show. Of the other two, Silverman appeals to me for the same reasons Cross does; she strikes me as a potential loose cannon. I liked Holmes’ show (Crashing?) but his standup act strikes me as a little too tame for my tastes.

I picked Silverman because 1) I think she’s hilarious, and 2) I haven’t heard of the others.

We ended up choosing to get tickets for Demetri Martin. Sarah Silverman tickets at the Fillmore were a bit pricey- almost $80 for way, way in the very back, something like $380 for the closest tickets.

I have seen Demetri Martin live before and I thoroughly enjoyed his show.

Of those four I think Demitri Martin is the funniest although I haven’t heard him recently. Pete Holmes is second but I find him a little hit or miss with his sketches funnier than his standup. Cross is too angry and more into making a point and getting clapter than being funny. Silverman can be very funny but I haven’t liked her more recent material. I think you made a good choice.