Which Party Has the Mobs?

I wish Dick Guindon’s cartoons were available on the Web - he had one where a man was telling his wife “I’d be much easier to get along with if you just always did what I want” (or words to that effect).

I’m honestly not sure what you’re asking. Are you saying that we shouldn’t include the head of the Republican party from the count of people who embrace conspiracy theories about Democrats and minorities? And, what the president and head of the Republican party says shouldn’t count towards riling up mobs?

octopus, I thought your mention of the loony left in this particular thread was extremely knee-jerk and pretty disingenuous. Do you agree with the premise of the OP or not? If you include Trump, do you agree with that premise?

Assuming I correctly understand your intent, you should probably be aware that this board has many people who who are independently clever and good at wordplay. It’s part of the attraction of this place that it generally selects for wit rather than conformity. It may seem that to you that you are being ganged up on but that’s simply because you are out of your league here. The sad part is that you seem to have no interest in trying to up your game intellectually or verbally, and you have a president saying that the fault is ours and not yours.

I thought that modern anti-Semitism was, for the most part, non-existent, or at least only existed in small, residual ways that could be considered “institutional” and not “active”.

Since Trump has been elected, I have seen local synagogues vandalized, seen direct references to Nazi practices used as insults against Jews on local forums, and now seen Jews targeted and gunned down in Pittsburgh.

We may not be living the Holocaust, but Republicans seem to neither give two shits about any of this nor be willing to admit that their rhetoric is in even the slightest way connected to these sorts of events.

You might not be a Nazi, but if they came for me, you would not stand up in my defense. It takes both kinds to wield power.

Well shoot, I thought the OP said “Which Party is the Mob?”

Nevermind. Same answer.

The only one mentioning tribalism here is you. Why is that?

Let’s see:

Because… and this might be hard for you to understand… some of us are interested in having a functional democracy, and democracy doesn’t work if one side mails bombs every time it gets a hair up its collective ass.

Bombs aren’t ballots. Bombs aren’t even close to being ballots. They tend to offend in more direct ways, although the Republicans seem to get hugely, massively offended by ballots and then equate real bombs with imagined outrages.

Yes, I’m sure the imagined outrages perpetrated by Democrats are so much worse than the real ones perpetrated by Republicans. I’m certain the survivors of the synagogue shooting would fully agree.

I can imagine your inner ear must be fairly swimming from all the gymnastics, yes.

Ask the people shooting at Jews and mailing bombs.

When the 5-10% disagreement is over things like “who qualifies as human” and “who deserves to live” and “is it morally justified to mail bombs to people” and “are the people I disagree with Satanic pedophiles”, well, that does tend to overshadow most other things.

I’ll concede this when you concede which side mentioned “Second Amendment solutions” in the last Presidential election.

I make comments on message boards and vote. So do the people I’m aligned with, more or less; maybe throw in some nonviolent protests.

The people I’m against are, or are aligned with, the ones who shoot up places of worship.

Someone who shoots a nonagenarian Holocaust survivor is my equal, now?

Back to this. Why is it? Why do you keep making this comparison?

Too late.

I think I figured it out: You can’t come up with a good argument, so you shout about monkeys and try to shame us into shutting up about how the side you’ve chosen is a breeding ground for right-wing death squads, as if being polite and pretending everything is going well will stem the tide of cut-rate Klans emerging from the fever swamps your party has carefully cultivated since before I was even born.

Being polite won’t raise the dead. Pretending this is normal won’t undo the damage done. And acting like the Republicans aren’t the Party of Pizzagate, Legitimate Rape, Voter Disenfranchisement, and Russia won’t allow us to fix the problems a minority has caused.

Yes, a minority. I know that. I also know that minority is comprised of hardcore Republicans, a substantial number of the worst ones being the ones in office or appendant to offices, and your whining about civility won’t cause me to stop knowing that.

The Two Minutes Hate

I think this explains what the Republicans are doing quite well.

You are literally going to place the death toll from white against black hate crimes at the feet of Republicans, and put that up against the guy shot by the Sanders supporter and claim the score is now 49 to 1 against Republicans.

I had hoped to appeal to reason, but you seem pretty deeply committed to your tribal monkey jabberings. I am actually sorry to hear that.

I hope cooler heads prevail and things get better.

Anyway, good luck to you and to everybody else. I may check back in in a few years, but I think this it for me.

-Adios

Damn.

Should have brought the topic up sooner.

Skwwaaaaaak! Skwaaaaaak! What happened to civility!?!?!? If you only treated us nicer the country would be better! ooh-ohh-ahh-ahh! You suck because you keep insulting us, you worthless piece of garbage! [eats a banana]

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this is the first Tribal Monkey Council in which a troop member voted himself off the island.

snif He’s throwing his feces at angels, now…

Holy fucking shit. Best thread ever!

Republicans are equating themselves with Nazis. The accusations as such are based on factual parallels. 11 Jews were murdered in cold blood by a guy who was convinced that George Soros and other Jews were funding an invasion of foreign criminals and terrorists. I don’t accuse Republicans of killing Jews with their rhetoric; I accuse Republicans of using the same kinds of false and tribal rhetoric and campaign tactics that were used in Nazi Germany (and also in places like Eastern Europe) to inspire others to commit murder - and the evidence is pretty clear that they have succeeded. When leaders of a majority party retweet anti-Jewish and anti-immigrant conspiracy theories, referring them as the “dangerous other,” they are providing the rationalization for people to commit murder.

People are right to use Nazi comparisons when discussing today’s Republican party. But they don’t have to - they can use other labels that are just as appropriate, like Neo-Confederates. The modern Republican party represents America at its worst, appealing to our nation’s and our species’ worst impulses. Maybe instead of complaining about progressives and Democrats calling you Nazis, a better idea might be to start taking your party away from them in the first place. You could at least try to do that, you know.

Who will mentor us in self-congratulation now?

This mother fucker posted a pack of anti-Soros lies days after someone tried to murder George Soros, and he’s scolding us? Fuck you and don’t come back.

Madmonk…or madmonkey??! Shit, this is all your fault!

The blimp has reclaimed its own.

Wait. What?

Didn’t you, just a week or so ago, try to push the narrative that you were voting Republican because Democrats have become too violent and threatening against Republicans? And defending that position by cherry picking actions done by the left and ignoring ones done by the right and weighing them against each other?

Here it is: “I’m voting against Democrats because of the widespread racism, hate speech, violence, and intolerance which they have adopted, largely in the last 18 months.”

Jesus fuck, it’s a good thing you’re running away (again), because the sheer amount of hypocritical bullshit you’ve tried to peddle this election cycle is staggering. It’s heartening that you appear to somewhat realize that you’re so full of shit you can’t defend yourself anymore, so you run away, but Jesus, that’s really pathetic.

Go punch the ticket for anyone with an (R) after their name, but please save us from yourr holier than thou bullshit rationalizations and self-contradicting ramblings.

Fat guys on a couch screaming at televisions and angrily commenting on political internet sites do not constitute a mob.

There is virtually no political violence and even participation is lagging. That is the bright side of our political circumstances. The dark side is that they are trending upwards.