Why are "tags changed"?

Every once in a while, after I start a topic, I get a notification of activity in that change. When I click on it, it says “tags [were] changed” by a mod.
Just a moment ago, it seems to have been done by What Exit in this
thread
about flyleaves in Cafe Soc.
The tags say books, writing, myths, whereas I didn’t write anything about myths.

I got not problem with this - just curious about the process.
Because I hadn’t been aware of including any tags in the first place which would be able to be changed.

I don’t use “tags” in any way, so just a little curious about this.

That is one tag. The tags are a catchall to act as subcategories to The Café & The Game Room mainly.

Click on the Tag and you’ll see all of the threads tagged as Topics tagged books-writing-myths

As far as the board software goes, adding a tag but count as a change.

The full Tag list is auto-maintained here:
https://boards.straightdope.com/tags

We really like to talk about Food & Cooking here.

WE? is very quick on the draw tagging posts in CS with the relevant subject.

Dang! I tried to get my post in before his! Quick on the draw here as well.

Do you/can you ever untag because you thought it was wrong (i.e. the OP hits the “book” tag" when the thread is about a new song)?

I can and do change tags. Though half the mistakes are me hitting the wrong tag. Especially on my phone.

FYI: I take a fairly quick glance at every new OP in The Café and The Game Room so I can tag them.

I have notifications set up to let me know when threads are added to these forums. I; of course make mistakes. I have had some reported (flagged) and some I catch later on my own.

The tagging often happens in the morning before my cup of coffee kicks in. :wink:

I tend to look at most of the new GD threads too and reject some by bouncing them to other forums. But as I’m not tagging them, I’m not as diligent.

This is so wild to me, as I have been oblivious to the very existence of tags. I think the other day I actually noticed something that said something about tags, but I ignored it.

I’m such a Neanderthal!

I don’t have a problem if What_Exit wants to tag threads, I just don’t find them very useful. If I can’t figure out what a thread is about from the title and the mouseover (I realize not everyone gets mouseover previews) odds are I’ll have no interest in reading it anyways. I think they could be put to good use on vague titles. But if my title is “In Star Wars, did Han shoot first?”, adding tags for Star Wars, Movie, SciFi add nothing that 99% of the readers don’t already know.

If the tags were more prominent in size and color, I think they would be a good tool for things like spoilers/no spoilers. As they are now, I wonder how many people there are like Dinsdale, who didn’t know what they were or like me that just generally finds no use for them. I also wonder how many people use them, or even know they can use them, for their own threads vs. how many What_Exit? tags.

To save What_Exit? a lot of time from tagging every thread, and Cafe gets a lot of new threads, maybe just do a pin in Cafe explaining tags and encouraging people to use them on their own. That way What_Exit? only needs to deal with bad or confusing thread titles.

Every season I create a new thread for each of the Arrowverse shows. Took me a while, but I think I’ve gotten the hang of tagging each thread as I create them.

Yep, I think if more people knew about them they would be able to choose the ones that they think best fit their thread. As I said, I’m not even sure how many people know they can use the tags themselves. Or how often the ones that know about them actually make use of them.

Thanks for the Arrowverse threads by the way. I’m usually way behind on watching the shows, but when I catch up I go back and read the threads to see if I missed something or misunderstood something . Entertaining and informative!

Thank you for doing this, WE.

Even tho I personally don’t use them, I don’t care if What_Exit? wants to put in the time. Good for him if he doesn’t mind. I just think it would save him a lot of time and effort if posters were more aware that they could do it themselves. I know I wouldn’t want to get a message whenever a new thread opened in Cafe and then have to add tags to each one. Like I said, Cafe gets a lot of threads. Even getting 1/3 or 1/4 of posters to do so would lighten the load considerably.

Of course, if many people are already using tags and he’s just filling in when needed, none of this applies.

You’re welcome! It’s actually pretty fun following and commenting on all the shows in real time, especially when there’s a crossover. Of course, it becomes something of a chore when the show turns bad, like The Flash last season. But then I can have fun laying on the snark. I hope you don’t watch Batwoman. Unfortunately, I’ve fallen way, way behind on that one. No one else seems to be watching, so there isn’t much incentive to keep up.

Sometimes that’s more entertaining than the actual show.

No, I couldn’t even make it thru season one. I tried season 2 when I heard about the new actress, but no joy there either.

New feature this month from Discourse, it lets me add a description to the tags. I will slowly do this. If you hover the mouse over the music tag, a description of “Songs, singers, bands, music videos, etc.” appears.