Why aren't sheep bothered by having their testicles ripped out?

Okay…I laughed WAYYYY too hard at this.

So, Aussie goats have testicles ? Weird.

It’s actually a big relief, because their balls constantly itch from contact with wool.

I spent a week or so of work experience working with a vet doing small animal work. Apparently, back in the old days when he started, the routine for farmhouse cat castrations was:
[ul][li]Grab cat and old gumboot[]shove cat’s head, legs and body into gumboot so just it’s ass is poking out of the top[]Slash nutsack open with scalpel[]Tear The Boys out[]dust incision with sulfa powder[*]Pull cat out of gumboot and release it to have a prolonged sulk somewhere[/li][/ul]
Nowadays they use a jab of local anasthetic as a substitute for the gumboot, and usually apply a stitch or two along with the antiseptic. But apparently the reaction to the old treatment was along the lines of
WTF OUCH!!! That smarted. And what’s with the boot? That’s undignified. You humans suck. Thank og, the loon with the boot and knife has gone. Where’s my dinner? I’ll love you forever if you give me some more tuna.”

Treadmills? :confused:

QFT!

I’ve been dying to use that.

ROTFLMAO.

And don’t do that again, it’s against the rules.:smiley:

Related (horrifying) video: the Henderson Equine Castrating Device.

http://stonemfg.net/images/Henderson-Castration_Inst.wmv-link.wmv

(link goes straight to a commercial/demo video).

Basically, it’s a drill-bit attachment that grabs the testicles, then spins them in order to tear them off. Apparently, it’s not only quicker, but less painful/results in less bleeding.

Of course, it’s also terrifying to watch.

:eek:

:eek::eek:

:confused:

It’s been getting better, but the joke isn’t quite dead yet. Post #30.

You’re probably confused because it wasn’t Annie X-Mas this time.

How else do you think they reproduce?

So we should bite with our incisors instead of our molars?

That’s unbelievably hard to watch without squirming. Man, I’ll never view rotating sides of meat the same way again.

I was composing a post trying to explain this exact idea, but you got it much more cleanly. :slight_smile:

As for dogs and cats being more drama-queenish: Overall, I’d say they aren’t. Livestock are decidedly more stoic than dogs and cats, but I’ve seen carnivores sustain fairly horrific injures with narry a complaint. Broken bones, big exploded abcesses, pregnancies where the baby died so long ago it’s turning to rotted mush and taking the uterus with it. All the kinds of things that would dissolve a human into screaming piles of goo.

Animals are tough, but they feel it. They just hide it better.

When I was a young boy, I witnessed my farmer uncle use a grip lock clamp device on a bull calf in order to cut off the blood supply for several minutes. I thought it was brutal but reading about this…

The professional name for those is “Emasculators.”

Food Animal medicine is horrific and fun!

The lambs showed far less reaction to the cutting than the goats I have been a party to band castrating. Basically a really thick rubber band with an inside diameter of less than half an inch is spread (mechanically with specialized pliers) and placed over the testicles onto the narrow connection between scrotum and stomach then released. It cuts off the blood flow and the organs wither, dry up, and fall off. The kids were visibly in pain for a few minutes after you snapped the band into place, probably until numbness sets in.

I’ve also had a vet tell me that when “cutting” during castration you never wanted to make a straight cut across the connective tissues, that leads to infection. Pulling them or scraping those connections is the preferred method. No idea why that would be.

-rainy

As a human who has had a couple abcesses (both related in threads on this forum, as a matter of fact) I can testify that it’s the time period BEFORE they “explode” that hurts like a mother. Once they pop you feel MUCH better.

Dear sweet and fuzzy lord… I second the “horrifying” and raise you a “never going to look at a power drill the same way”. (That’ll make watching This Old House interesting for a while…)