Will I like Ocarina of Time (3DS)?

I bought a Nintendo 3DS recently, mainly so that I could play older DS games, like the Phoenix Wright series (I haven’t owned any sort of DS before).

I haven’t actually got round to buying a 3D title yet, but I would like to try one. I’m thinking of getting Ocarina of Time, but I’m not sure if I would enjoy it, so I’m hesitant to spend £30 on it.

Despite my age, I’ve never played any Zelda game before, but I’m aware that Ocarina is regularly rated as one of the “best games ever”. I’ve also heard a few people say that it was their favourite game back in the days of the N64.

I’m a big fan of RPGs, and story-based games: in particular, I’m a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series. However, I’m aware that Zelda games are more action-RPG, and I’m really bad at any games that require running, jumping, aiming, and quick reflexes. I’m also terrible at controlling characters in 3D (I tend to run into walls and off ledges a lot).

To give you an idea of my ability, I struggle to get past the first level on most Tomb Raider games. I did manage to get near the end of Resident Evil 4 on Easy Mode (couldn’t get past those Regenerators), but I think this due to the fact that the game makes itself easier every time your character dies.

So basically, I want to know if I would be able to play Ocarina, or if it would be too difficult for me. Is the gameplay mostly combat / jumping / dodging obstacles, or mostly puzzle-solving / story based / interacting with other characters?

Thanks for any advice you can give me :slight_smile:

Hmm, I’m pretty sure you would like the idea of Zelda, managing the gameplay may be a different story.

It’s equal parts of both, really. There’s a lot of action, but also a lot of puzzle-solving and character interaction (and a decent amount of story, but certainly less than Final Fantasy). Fortunately, jumping is automated, so you need not worry too much about that. And aiming is also simplified thanks to the lock-on system (tap a button when an enemy is near and you’ll automatically aim at them). Bottomline: It’s never as difficult to navigate or aim as in Tomb Raider, though it still does require dexterity and fast-enough reflexes at points.

Honestly, of all the 3D-action titles to get into, Zelda’s probably the easiest. Then again, I’d find it hard not to recommend to almost anyone, as it’s still one of my favorite games of all time (though its sequel, Majora’s Mask, is even better–though you’d definitely want experience playing Ocarina first–plus it’s not out on 3DS yet).

If you have a Wii, I might actually suggest downloading Zelda: A Link to the Past for $8–originally a Super Nintendo title now on Virtual Console. It’s one of the finest 2D (top-down) Zelda games there is, and should give you a good idea if you like the core gameplay before trying the fully-3D Ocarina of Time.

Either way, I’d say it’s worth a shot. Worse case: you’re out $40 (minus what you can resell it for). Best case, you’re introduced to not just one of the best games, but one of the best series of all time.

I don’t much like the Zelda games, but they’re not really level of Tomb Raider, or other full-on action games in action-complexity - not even Kingdom Hearts level as action-RPGs go…at least for the ones I’ve played. (Hell, I had more trouble with a jumping sequence in the latest Harvest Moon than I had with the last Zelda game I played (Majora’s Mask).)

Oh, I forgot about Kingdom Hearts–that would probably be the best thing to compare against, out of games that I’ve played. I found KH frustratingly difficult, but I think a lot of that was due to platform-jumping. So if the jumping in Ocarina is automated, that’s that taken out of the equation, at least!

That’s good to know. Is the combat difficult? Am I likely to die a lot? (to answer this, it might help if you imagine your mom playing the game ;))

Well, there is the risk of the DS getting smashed against the opposite wall! (Childish, I know, but I admit it, I’m a controller-thrower when games get the best of me…)

By the way, If there are any fellow useless gamers out there who have played Ocarina I would be grateful for your opinions!

Control wise they are very similar to the various Mario 3D games from Super Mario 64 to the Super Mario Galaxy series. In many ways Zelda is actually easier than the Mario games from an action position and relies more on problem solving and object collection.
If you liked the controls and camera views from the Mario games but thought the skill level became too difficult in the later levels and are looking more for a story and puzzle solving game then it’s definately one to go for.

Oh geeze, my mom’s helpless in every game, so I don’t think that’s a good barometer :wink: You will die, for sure. But the game’s also pretty forgiving at points, particularly if you seek out fairies that bring you back to life.

I’ve never played a Mario game, I’m afraid :frowning: (I was a Sega kid, then moved over to Playstation when I got older)

Compared to say, Battletoads? No. :wink:

It’s been a long time since I played OoT, but I don’t remember it being particularly hard. But then I grew up with the Nes, there hasn’t been a hard Zelda game since The Adventure of Link.

After Zelda, that’s something else you should rectify :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, you’d like it, but get a guide when doing the Water Temple

And this should be in the Game Room. :slight_smile:

Moved Cafe Society --> the Game Room.

The jumping may get you, even though it’s automated, and you don’t need to be pixel perfect, there have been numerous times where I’ve basically jumped in entirely the wrong direction because my facing and camera orientation was off just so, especially with the floaty hover boots.

The combat shouldn’t get you too much, I think you’ll probably have trouble primarily with a couple of the bosses. I’m thinking the toughest will likely be Barinade – lots of dodging, Volvagia – running to play whack-a-mole in a hazardous field, maybe Morpha – some dodging, and Ganon. The rest are simple once you get the puzzle down. The only normal enemies I think you’ll have trouble with are the more nimble sword using enemies like Stalfos (skeletons), Lizalfos (Lizardfos? Basically nimble) lizard people), and possibly the more annoying enemies like Poes (ghosts, a complete bitch to hit but thankfully uncommon).

In short, I think you’ll find it a tad frustrating, but not insurmountable.

I personally am not that great at 3D platformers. But I found that the only thing that ever tripped me up in OoT was the puzzles, not the actual action elements. I’ve not played the 3DS version, however. But I would think it would likely have fixed camera problems in the original, and thus actually be a little easier.

Volvagia makes some people’s easiest boss lists.

Unless they made major changes, you may like the game except one part, namely…

Hey! Listen!

I’m curious as to how this game plays on the 3DS?
I’ve played and loved Mario 64 on the original Nintendo 64 but the DS version was almost unplayable to me. Between the controls and the miniaturized screen the precision needed in later levels was just too much.
Aiming your bow-n-arrow while riding Epona on a 2.5" screen seems like it may be tricky.

I know this may be a bit of a controversial opinion, but after a lot of experience I have come to believe that playing a game is always better on a big or normal-sized screen.

Yes, you can get immersed in and really enjoy a portable game. Yes, you get the added portability benefit. However, just from my considered opinion, it is always better on a normal sized screen (given the same game), ESPECIALLY for 3D games. 2D games can come vastly closer, but especially for 3D games. So I have pretty much given up on portable gaming.

3.5" screen. Mario 64 DS’s biggest problem was the controls, which have arguably been improved for Zelda 3DS over the original. I had no problems playing it.

I never had issues with Volvagia, I just want thinking that maybe beelining toward a dragon while avoiding lava pits may be difficult for someone with issues running.