Wndows 10 update is getting extra annoying now.

Well, the reasons for the hate (such as it is, and where it applies) are pretty well documented.

I have W10 on one machine at home, which is my personal gaming box. The rumor is that you get a few more frames per second out of the same hardware using W10 rather than 7 or 8. That was enough for me to chance it. And it hasn’t been terrible, but I’ve been brutally conscientious about neutering all the telemetry and adware. And it’s a constant vigilance I don’t feel like extending to the other 4 or 5 update-eligible machines in the household, which I don’t use every day and my naïve children do. (I’ve already had to burn more hours than I want to in order to clean out adware and other crap they’ve unknowingly installed. Adding the effort of keeping W10 on a leash would be way too much.)

When I first updated to W10, the Bluetooth dongle I was using wouldn’t do what I needed it for, using the default W10 Bluetooth stack, and the manufacturer’s stack would bluescreen. It took three months before the BT manufacturer got that straightened out. So for a while, I had a smallish climb-down on basic capabilities, but it’s better now.

All the apps I use on the box still run, so no loss there.

Not terrible, but stepping up to W10 is riding the tiger. Hang on for dear life or the tiger will eat your ass.

Is AVG nagging everybody, or is it nagging everybody who’s got a free version into paying? Because if so it’s an old paradigm.

Just lie back and think of England, right?

It’s only free if you’re upgrading from another OS you’ve already paid for. Most people never upgrade their OS, they just get a new computer that has the new version.

And Microsoft isn’t trying to force you to upgrade so they can serve you ads, they’re trying to force you to upgrade so they don’t have to support Win7 and Win8 users in the future. I think they should just give up trying to upgrade Win7 users and concentrate on getting rid of Win8. The Win7 installed base is just too huge to expect you can migrate customers off of it. Win8 installed base is a lot smaller and nobody liked it, that’s why I felt fine getting the free upgrade.

Access is alive and well. No idea what you’re talking about there.

It’s free for OEM versions of Win7 and win8 too.

Sure, I meant to say, “That you’ve legally obtained a license for”.

The point is, Windows is never going to find someone with Win7 on their machine who will go out and spend $100 on Win10 to upgrade their machine. Never going to happen. That customer will stick with Win7 until they buy a new machine, and that machine will come installed with an operating system that probably won’t be Win7.

Point is, Microsoft isn’t giving you a free product supported by adware. They’re just trying to switch you to Win10 so they have fewer lingering Win7 and Win8 customers to support 5 years from now.

Another concern is that there are indications that at some point MS will start charging licensing fees for Win10… No thank you. I will stick with Win 7 as long as I can. Then I will switch everything I can to Apple undoubtedly, rapacious bastards. If it worked well, that would be one thing. Generally, it doesn’t.

Uninstall these two updates and don’t let windows install them again. It will try with every update:
KB3035583 and KB2952664

I built my mom’s pc around 2005. With a Super micro motherboard and a few components from her old pc. Ended up buying a PCI Express video card because there wasn’t a slot for her old AGP. Upgraded it to Win 7 in 2010.

She’s getting nagged to update to Win 10. I’m amazed Microsoft thinks it’s compatible.

I wouldn’t want to risk it. Not with a 11 year old computer.

An excellent point.
I thought that Windows eight and ten were efforts to turn our PCs into cell phones, but from this thread, perhaps it turns them into pads.

I was thinking or M$ trying to transform them into bricks myself…

this actually happened on one of my computers. I can’t say I’ve noticed anything much different pre or post update, seems to work exactly the same.

I would test things very well when upgrading any kind of production system. My boss said that printing templates that worked in MS Publisher under Win 7 were misregistered under Win 10. Now there are so many variables that I don’t know there… versions of Publisher the same? Print driver the same? And only Og knows what is going on at the network level between the PC and the press…

Same here. That was the last straw. I ran GWX to eliminate the nag. I don’t want anything installing itself automatically.

If they want us to upgrade so that they only need to support one OS, they should have made an OS that isn’t shit. They should have made Windows 10 so good there was no reason for anyone to not want to upgrade, instead of turning it into adware and spyware.

<ned flanders> Just let the hooks do their work.</ned flanders>

It’s an illustration that Microsoft is not building an operating system for OUR benefit, they’re building one for THEIR benefit.

Surely their motive is to Make Money. If we all have to buy a new OS, they make money. If they can get information about users to sell them stuff, they make money.

I thought Publisher stopped coming down for breakfast about a decade and a half ago.