Women: would you date a short guy?

I always assumed it was more difficult to date if you are a short guy, but according to this cite it is damn near impossible. OK so maybe its not the best cite, it is the NY Post quoting a study done by a dating site. But it is a good jumping off point.

According to the cite in the NYC area those under 5-9 would not even be considered by the vast majority of women. Only 1.2% of Manhattanites said they would contact a man under 5-9. That seems extremely low. Just wondering how that measures up to posters here.
For the record I happen to be exactly 5-9 so I’m not sure where that leaves me. I’m not on the market anyway so it doesn’t matter much. Found a nice short woman. :smiley:

P.S. how stupid is it to lie about your height in a dating profile. You think they won’t notice?

Not only would I date him, I’d marry him. Eight years ago today, to be precise. :slight_smile:

Same, aside from the amount of years. My husband and I are the same height at 5’ 5".

Height doesn’t mean jack shit.

If I found someone I really liked, why would I care about their height?

My husband is a hair under 5’. I am pretty sure we dated, back in the stone age.

I’m 5’ 4”, used to have a big crush on a guy who was about five even.
Looking back, I’m not sure I’ve ever dated anyone who was as tall as 5’ 9”!

I guess it might be helpful if you mention your height too.

I’m 5’4"-5’5" and tend to prefer guys within the 5’2"-5’9" range. Then again, I also don’t like wearing high heels…

Way back in the dark ages, the girls in my dorm had a good laugh while we were watcing the Olympics, as the tallest girl there (and the only one with a height fetish) bemoaned the size of the male gymnasts. The rest of us were all in the “I’d hit that! Oh boy would I!” camp.

I’m 5’3", my sons father was 5’2", so yes.

Can’t do it. Call me shallow, but it is whut it is. I’m very tall, and when you’re this tall amongst a sea of people anywhere between 5 and 10 inches shorter on an average day, I’m just more comfortable around a man who has the height. The Divemaster is nearly 6.2, which is just fine by me.

Absolutely! I’ve never understood the fixation on a man’s height. Completely mystifying. And yet I know women who will write a guy off if he’s not taller than they are.

Height, amount of hair, disability. kind of car-- not one of these things would enter into my decision about whether to be interested in a guy, Not even close. Not for one second.

I dated guys of all heights. Even though I’m short I’ve never felt like it; when talking to someone our eyes meet and we’re at the same level, wherever that is.

Females (and, it seems, society in general) have these ugly stereotypes about what males want in a female: tits, ass, and sex and only rarely anything more. Totally shallow.

Males (and, it seems, society in general) have these ugly stereotypes about what females want in a male: Money, social status, and be tall. Really really tall. Totally shallow. (Note that recent thread about females responding much more to pick-up lines if said pick-up line mentioned something about a Lamborghini.)

All dating services (and this goes back way before on-line internet dating) have these ugly stereotypes that they are used by losers, jerks, social basket cases, and Nice Guys[sup]TM[/sup] who haven’t a prayer of getting hooked up any other way.

It may be, therefore, that among those patrons of dating services, we have a selected population, of whom the above ugly stereotypes are, in fact, mostly true.

Yet today, are we to believe that on-line “dating” (if you can call it that) is the foremost, premiere, most pervasive mechanism for “boy meets girl”. It seems to be the only kind of up-hooking that one ever hears about any more. Can it be that on-line culture has really taken over the world and made everyone really as shallow as all the ugly stereotypes say?

Or has everybody, in truth, always been like that after all?

I actively prefer a little bit short. My ideal would be about 5.8 or so. Not a deal breaker being taller, but it’s not my preference. I’m a woman and I’m 5.7. I would also date a guy shorter than me without any problem at all. Not overly keen on scrawny at any height, though.

I prefer someone near my own height. Dated a few tall (6’2"+) fellows back in the day and was never terribly comfortable - I’m average height for a woman and I really don’t like feeling small and petite. 5’10" seemed to be my comfort cut-off, with 5’6" to 5’8" being ideal. Married 5’9", but I can put up with the extra inch.

The theory should be obvious, I would think:

Tell the truth (SWM, 5’2", ISO whatever I can get . . . ) and you might expect to never get a single response.

Pad your vertical attribute a bit, and you might at least get the occasional date with someone who otherwise wouldn’t have bothered. Then, one might hope, you can knock her socks off with your fabulous personality, charming wit, and Adonis-like good looks, and maybe she will then be willing to overlook your vertical deficiency.

That’s the thing about on-line dating: You have to agree to meet someone you don’t know, have never previously met, and don’t even have a good reference or introduction from a mutual friend. ALL you have to go on, is that very sketchy on-line profile. So the typically petty details there become the make-or-break decision factors. People thus choose or pass up dates for frivolous reasons (like height) that might have been good matches had you met and gotten superficially acquainted first.

So all the petty attributes in on-line profiles become deal-breakers that probably shouldn’t be.

I am 5’ 2" and I have a height limit wrt dating men: I don’t date anyone over 6’ tall. It’s awkward and can be physically uncomfortable. I have a friend who is 6’ 5". We went out a couple times. He wanted to hold my hand as we walked into the movies, but I already felt like I was a little girl being taken to the movies by Daddy, so I declined. The height disparity was just too much.

So yeah, send all the short guys to me.

Should we have a similar thread and poll for males: Would you date a BBW?

And perhaps there should be another option to this poll: BBWs, would you date a short male?

I dated a few guys shorter than me before I got married, but it always made me slightly self-conscious. I’m not sure why. But now that I’m in my mid-forties, I can’t imagine I’d even give it a passing thought. A good person is pretty much all I’d require now.

For the record, I’m 5’6".

What if instead of being short, they were fat, or ugly? Or had some other physical attribute that was a turnoff for you? Just like some people have an uncommonly broad palate for food and can enjoy a huge variety of cuisines, some people have an uncommonly broad “palate” for physical attraction. Maybe you’re one of them, and you’re able to experience physical attraction toward people who are short, or who don’t meet conventional standards of beauty such as symmetry or blemish-free skin.

Having admitted that such broad-palate people exist, I think it’s far more common for folks to feel physically unattracted toward individuals with certain attributes, with shortness (for men) being high on the list - and it shouldn’t be a source of shame for anyone. A short man shouldn’t feel ashamed of being short, but I do believe it’s a fact of life that he will have a harder-than-average time finding a woman who is physically attracted to him Likewise, a woman who is not attracted to short men should not feel ashamed about what does and does not interest her, but ought to avoid being unnecessarily hurtful to short men who express interest in her.