Woo f'in hoo, The LOTR trilogy in theaters. I got my ticket

Woo! Did I say scalped? Raped is more like it. The price for pairs of tickets on E-Bay is totally crazy – a quick scan shows $255 is the current price for two tickets to a San Francisco showing . . .

There was one theater in the entire state of Minnesota showing this. They decided to show it a 200 seat theatre!

I wasn’t planning on going, and would go to Madison if I did, but talk about dumb decisions. I realize there are probably limited prints, but show it in your biggest theatre!

Brian

That’s nothing. In my entire state and the four states bordering it, all combined, there’s only one theater showing it. And I’m sure as Angband not going to go all the way up to Boise to see ten hours of movie.

Got tickets and going with about 10 friends. We will be driving about 3 hours to get to the theatre. I will be seeing all three movies for the first time, so it should be a great trip for me. Hopefully I will be able to go to work with about 3 hours of sleep!

Thanks for starting the thread Fern Forest, or I would have had no idea.

No problem moejuck. I had completely forgotten about it myself till I read the interent at 8 o’clock at night. By the time I got there they were already half gone.

I paid $27 for my ticket. That’s the standard movie price times 3. They also gave us a business card with an e-mail on it that we’re supposed to us and get some secret prize. They allow us to start lining up at 8am to go in at 2 pm. Thankfully I’m a hardcorer night owl so I’ll be getting my second wind just before ROTK at midnight.

And of of course there are line partys at each trilogy showing. My only experience with that is from what I’ve seen on Conan. Too bad Triumph the Insult Comic dog will in no way be coming to Hawaii. But if any of you New Yorkers get in I’d say maybe you’ll see him. Sure it’s the same thing twice but it was a huge success and a whole different brand of nerd to make fun of.

I’ve heard we’ll get about 15 or 30 minutes between movies to let us pee and buy food. But don’t forget how long those credits were. Heh-heh, I feel like I’m going into some sort of bio-dome experiment. Scientists shouldcome and study us.

Our tickets were $25. And I GOT THEM TODAY!!! Go ahead, hate me. :smiley:

I still couldn’t do it online and had to drive down there for the third time in two days…it’s about an hour’s round trip, so I’m happy I don’t have to go back there until December! I couldn’t get a live human on the phone. I nearly freaked when the girl at the ticket window told me to come back after 1:00 due to some sort of problems getting the system working…but I went and got lunch and came back and all was good.

My back is going to hate this. I anticipate pain. But it should be so worth it!

HEED ME, DOPERS GOING TO THE TRILOGY!!!

You do NOT want venous blood stagnating in your legs, and risking formation of a Deep Vein Thrombosis. This could break off, travel to your lung, and kill you, a la Pulmonary Embolism. It would be a bitch should it happen before you even get to ROTK.

A couple of tips for the people going to see the trilogy:

1. Keep your feet moving. Pump them up and down like pushing on an imaginary accelerator from time to time.
  2. Walk between movies. Stretch and stand and walk around. For the same reasons as noted above.
  3. Sip fluids during the movies. I know many of you will not want to do this, for fear of bathroom breaks, but if you get a bit dehydrated, the risk of thrombosis goes up. Avoid caffiene and alcohol, and you should do ok. Guys, use a condom catheter and a leg bag if you need to. Gals, well just wear a skirt and no panties and bring a re-sealable tupperware container if you really need to.
  4. Don’t rest the backs of your legs against the metal rim of the seat. Cuts off venous flow, again raising risk of thrombosis.

Print this, clip it out, and put it on the fridge. Review it in the 72 hours prior to December 16th.

QtM, MD

Thanks for the advice. I was going to follow 95% of it anyway – there’s just no way I can do this without SOME caffiene.

Well, it sure is nice of my school to schedule finals during that day. As if they didn’t know it was coming. :smiley:

Who cares about finals? This is much more important! :smiley:

In self-defense, all I can say is that I’ve started a new job and I have to get up far earlier than I’m used to so it’s making me stupid! I’ve been an LOTR fan for…well, more years than I like to admit – 36 years now, wow, time flies! – so it’s definitely something I should have figured out immediately…

I figure that since I’ve already seen FOTR and TTT, if I do need to get up and walk around or go to the bathroom or make a food run during them, it won’t kill me to miss a few minutes. I’ll just pick one of the scenes where Peter Jackson made a change I thought was completely unnecessary, and that will help keep my blood pressure down, too. :smiley:

That and a back cushion and maybe a pinpoint massager for a spot in my back that always knots up, and all should be well!

At my new job, our young computer guy is a college student who was quite impressed to meet someone old enough to be his mother who is into all this stuff. I hated to disillusion him, but I felt compelled to point out that true Tolkien geeks like me and Christopher Lee have felt compelled to read the entire book at least once a year our entire lives, and he’s got a LOT of years of catching up to do!

I’ve been waiting for the triple whammy to hit town. Good advice to all the folks at home there, Qad. It will be even worse when they’ve completed “The Hobbit.” That should make for a solid half day’s worth of continuous viewing.

This group of movies should be a perennial moneymaker for its producers. I can foresee it becoming institutionalized like “Snow White” or “Sleeping Beauty.” What a fabulous addition to the world of cinema.

I just got my ticket to Trilogy Tuesday at the Senator in Baltimore, which is both a great historic theater and one of the top-ranked theaters in the nation, period. They sold out a few minutes after I got mine.

Ohhh, so happy!

Congrats! I do sorta envy you. But I’ll do it my way.

That means Mom and little sis will pick you up at the airport on 12/17 while I’m seeing ROTK. Then 12/18 or 12/19 we’ll all go as a happy family for another showing.

Just heed my advice and avoid blood clots.

And what was up with the need to know JRRT trivia while waiting in line for your tix, anyway, my little Mercotette?

Dadgop

If they ever make the “Silmarillion” we could be there for days.

Here’s another thanks for the advice Qadgop. (For about half a second I had a good chuckle thinking you made a typo in your name. Cute!) Thankfully the Ward theaters are brand new. Reclining seats with a back high enough to rest my head on comfortably, tons of leg space even for a 6’5" like myself. Roll up my jacket for some back support and enjoy.

Any Eurodopers going? I see some showings in the UK and in the Netherlands but don’t think I’ve seen any in this thread.

Wow, and I thought it was only the north east that got screwed that way. No theaters in the tri-state area are doing it, but they are showing it in Boston. However there’s no way I’d drive 1.5 hours (if the traffic isn’t bad) each way to sit in a theater for 10 hours. I’d be in so much pain (my left knee doesn’t like movie theater seating) by hour 5 that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the newest movie. I kind of hope my best friend doesn’t hear about this… But maybe we can compromise, and watch the 1st two at her house before seeing the third - we both own the DVDs after all :smiley:

Does anyone know if this thing is coming to Europe? or even better, to Ireland? Ive done a search and cant seem to find anything at all about it…

I couldn’t get tickets. They were supposed to be only available online for the first day and then sold at the box office after that. But the website crashed so they started selling them at the box office early. Instead of buying them online I had to wait until after work to trek down to the theatre - by which time they were sold out. Grrrr. Anyone in the Seattle area got extras?

We didn’t get tickets. :frowning:

Oh, well. I’m not going to break my heart over it. I have the FOTR Extended DVD and will have TTT-Ex in November. And, while I don’t have a big-screen TV, I have access to 3 of them, owned by friends who share my geekish obsessions or are at least willing to indulge them. So we may get a marathon in the comfort of somebody’s home around Thanksgiving anyway, and will watch the whole thing next year when the ROTK DVD is out.

It is a win-win situation. Either you get to see all three in a theater or you don’t have to sit for 11 1/2 hours plus however long you would have been sitting in line outside the theater. Although don’t forget they’re also showing the two extended editions by themselves days before I’ll see them. I believe the FOTR is the 9th through 11th and TTT is on the 12th through the 15th. I don’t know when they’ll start selling those tickets though.
As for internet sales, man so many balls dropped, so many pissed off and bummed out people. I wonder what the fallout will be?