Would you date an older woman?

This is inspired by this thread http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=215093 wherein Ski said that a friend of his stated that he’d be bothered by dating a woman nine weeks older than he was.

So guys, would it bother you dating a woman older than you? How much of an age difference would be acceptable? 9 weeks, 9 months, 9 years? Also, why is it more acceptable for a man to be with a younger woman than a woman to be with a younger man?

Sheesh, I’m such a putz. I meant to also ask the women if they would date a younger man, and also how much younger would be acceptable?

Nine years is fine by me. (Nine weeks? Unless they’re five years old, that makes them virtually the same age…)

The stereotype, which may be at least partially grounded in actual fact, is that older women are less self-absorbed and less demanding. They take what they get, they give what they want. More of a “que sera, sera” sort of deal. I’m not sure how accurate this impression is, though.

Definitely. If there’s a mutual interest then why not? But nine years? Seems a bit much. Maybe the limit for me would be around five years… but one never knows.

I’m 39. My SO is 47. We’re getting married on November 1.

I’m 46.My wife is 58.We celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary last Wednesday.

I’m 33, my gf is 39. My ex turned 40 last month. Older women rock :slight_smile:

My hubby is 43… I’m 34. My last hubby was 55 and I was 28 when he died. First hubby was 5 years older than me. I broke with tradition when I dated my 4 YO sons dad. He was 5 years younger than me and that only lasted 6 months because he was so immature. :frowning:

I’m 26 and there some older women walking around my office that I wouldn’t mind getting to know better. Some even in their early forties. But alas, I seem to be just a baby to them. Not getting any type of come hither vibes.

My last long-term relationship was with a woman who was 17 years my senior. Date, yeah; marry, no (When I get married, it will be to someone young enough to have kids, which is kind of a priority for me).

My wife of 13 years is 9 months older than me. No problems here.

When I was around 19-20 I was with a forty year old woman for about a year or so. She didn’t look forty though, thirty at most. She was beautiful, fun, intelligent, had her own apartment, practically sexually insatiable – everything a 19/old man could possible wish for. I still remember her with great fondness, but marriage would never have worked since I wanted children at some time. Mother Nature did not deal the sexes the same cards in that regard. She was also a Russian immigrant so, remembering this thread , I guess it was the reverse mail-order thing. :slight_smile:

• Rune

My wife is about nine months older than me, and we consider ourselves the same age. The idea of dating a woman nine years older doesn’t bother me in the least, but in practice there have been problems. Way back when, I dated a woman who was 36 and desperate to start having kids, while at 25 I still wasn’t ready for that.

Odd, all the women I dated in America were younger than me, while all the women I’ve dated in Japan have been older. No idea why that is, but it certainly hasn’t been for lack of trying.

I dated a woman, breifly, who was nearly 20 years older. Yeah, it was off-putting, and I couldn’t continue it.

Ben Franklin said one of the virtues of older women was that they are so grateful.

I’m 22 and my girlfriend is 27 - we’re separated by about five years and three months. I don’t think it bothers either of us. She makes four times the money I make, but I do most of the house and yardwork. I’ll consider it even and let her make it up to me later in life. :wink:

It is kinda funny, though. I manage a computer lab on my college campus; when I told an employee that my girlfriend has a degree, his eyes got wide. “How old is she?”

Uhh, 27. Whatsittoya? Heh. It’s not exactly Harold and Maude.

I am currently dating a woman who is four years older than me (I’m 43, she’s 47). Don’t know if it will turn out to be a long-term thing or not yet.

When I was in college, I had a brief relationship (don’t know if I would call it “dating”) with a professor who was forty-something. I remember it quite fondly.

My younger brother (he’s 38) is married (and has been for about 10 years now) to a woman who is 61.

All things considered, age differences seem pretty trivial to me.

I’m getting married next Friday to a man 7 years younger than me.

My most serious relationships, including my marriage, involved younger men. The greatest age difference was 5 years, which was pretty significant at the time as I was 24 and he was 19. It just sorta fizzled when I got tired of dealing with his immaturity.

Now as I approach 50, if I was to be in the dating scene again, I’d not have a problem with a man as young as 35, provided he wasn’t an overgrown adolescent. I don’t judge so much by age as by demeanor and manners. I don’t know how much older a man I’d consider - again it would come down to how alive he was or if he was a sit-around-the-house lump.

With a bit of luck, I won’t have to worry about making such decisions anyway. I plan to have my happily-ever-after with my almost 3-years-younger husband.

Hmmm…well, never dated a really older woman. One girlfriend was maybe 2 years older than I. I’ve slept with an older woman, does that count? I’m not sure of her exact age, but I was 23, and she had to have been at least 40…and it didn’t bother me at all. I agree with what dantheman said, it’s much easier, and far less dancing around the subject of what we both wanted.