Yet Another Song I Must Identify

Thanks to songsearch and the opportunity to look up song titles by lyric fragments, I’m not reduced to asking this question TOO often, but this is one of those where I don’t know enough of the lyrics for that approach to be useful.

Song is a coed duet, mellow romantic pop of the sort that you’d hear most often on stations that also play top 40 hip hop and club / disco mix, but with crossover to “mellow rock” and “smooth jazz” stations.

Guy starts first, and sings mainly in the lower portion of his register. She comes in with an alternating section that has a different melody line and slightly more syncopated rhythm, and later they harmonize.

Here is a short (6 second) and far-from-precise MP3 fragment of me picking out the opening melody; it should be enough for you to recognize it if you’ve heard it.

(What I need, of course, is the bloody song title and if possible the performers’ names)

TIA

I’m listening to your mp3 now and man, it sure sounds familiar. Could you hazard a guess as to when it came out? 70s or 80s?

::thinking::

Can’t give you either the song title or performers, can give you fragments of lyrics.

The woman’s first line is something like “only you, came when I needed a friend”

The chorus’s first couple of lines are:

“God bless you.
You make me feel brand new.”

Since this last is repeated frequently, I’d bet on the song being called something like (You Make Me Feel) Brand New

Good luck.

Thank you Morgan!

The Stylistics: You Make Me Feel Brand New

Well, I’m way to embarrassed to start another thread, but I do have another one for which I lack lyrics.

Do y’all remember Shawn Colvin’s “Sunny Came Home”? This was a song loosely contemporary with it that had a very similar tune. Similar, that is, to the “day go by, I’m hypnotized, I’m walking on a wire” chorus part. That is, the singer does intervals that start with a 5th and the bottom part of the interval descends so it becomes a 6th, then a 7th, then comes back up to make a 6th.

The other song also featured a female singer, but it was faster and bouncier, and the interval portion as described above ends with the singer’s voice…

::hmm, how to describe this::

uh, let’s say the song is in C major, so the initial 5th is from the note C to the note G, OK? Well, the interval portion of the mystery song ends with this sequence, starting with the A directly above the G of the initial 5th:

A-, hiC-, hiD, hiC, hiC, B, hiC!

the dashes refer to notes twice as long as the others (except the final hiC which is held).

“You Make Me Feel Brand New” by The Stylistics it is. A hit in 1974.

But that ain’t no woman! That’s Russell Thompkins, Jr., who handled most of the lead vocals for the group. The presence of another of the group’s vocalists singing the more “manly” part is actually somewhat rare for them, at least as far as their radio hits were concerned.

I’ve sometimes heard Thompkins’ high falsetto style of R&B vocalizing referred to as “sissy soul.” Fellow Philadelphians The DelFonics were the other prime practitioners.